George 47

New Budget Audionote CD Player

No demo unit? :shock::cs:

Three pages on the UK's biggest hifi forum already. I'm sure it will be the same in other regions too.

These kind of products are about what a company can do, but from a marketing sense more than expected unit sales I suspect.

Im sure PQ has a smile on his face today. Good luck to him.

As we all know, it's only 0's and 1's and they all sound the same. :P

If I was a reviewer, it would be such fun to use faint praise :cool: Something like a slight improvement on a £2K player.

Guest BD Audio
No demo unit? :shock::cs:

Give PQ a bell and tell him I said you could borrow one.

Give PQ a bell and tell him I said you could borrow one.

I already tried that,

he just said "Jack who?"

:P

Guest BD Audio

Sure, if 5 of you buy one I'll happily knock £50 off each one.

You know, genuinely, I find a lot of the posts in this thread really depressing.

When I was a tender youth, fresh out of uni with a doctorate on which the ink hadn't yet dried, companies used to regularly produce things like this. In those days, they were called 'statement products'. Never intended for true production in any quantity at all, they were intended to show just what the company was capable of, given an unlimited approach in every way. They were always 'fuck you' items, to show just what was possible, given no restraints, commercially or financially. They were almost universally applauded, as they pushed the boundaries and were a true celebration of excellence.

Today, all we can apparently do is mock, and moan about the 'price', even though it is patently irrelevant. Nobody in their right minds would expect ANUK to sell any realistic number of this player. It is quite obviously intended to display the absolute limits of what is possible, and what ANUK are capable of. And instead of congratulating them for what is probably a remarkable achievement, we behave like a pile of jealous reality TV contestants, incapable of doing anything other than mocking the cost.

Really, from people who congratulate NASA (rightfully) on the achievement of the Mars lander, I find it very, very sad.

• Upvote 7

Everytime a high end product arrives this envy and we know what's right starts. I don't know much about AN but being a UK company manufacturing in a massively competitive world - bloody good luck to them.

• Upvote 2

We agree on many things, but why is there this constant assumption that people who have vast wealth are inherently stupid?

To me, the exact opposite would be more likely.

Granted, the Daily Mail is always full of people with enormous wealth, big tits and small brains. However, I venture to suggest they are actually rather the minority. In my (albeit limited) experience, those with significant personal funds have those funds as a result of actually being rather clever.

Yes of course they're clever, but perhaps not technically. People with vast amounts of money, and willingness to buy bling don't seem to me to be those for whom the technical competence of something they buy is the overriding consideration. The price, the fact they can afford it when hardly anyone else can, and the looks (possibly) are more important that what the article actually is or does.

Taking advantage of these people is what the whole Luxury Goods industry does. It creates goods that only the very few can afford to buy, regardless of actual performance (Mechanical watches that keep time worse than a £10 Casio, for example) because imtrinsic performance isn;t what these goods are about. They're about exclusivity. Sold to the very few though outlets for the very few.

As James said above, I'd point and laugh. Laugh at the gullibility of those poor rich people who would spend that much money on something of equivalent performance that could be bought for £200, or in the case of some of these watches for £10.

S.

You know, genuinely, I find a lot of the posts in this thread really depressing.

When I was a tender youth, fresh out of uni with a doctorate on which the ink hadn't yet dried, companies used to regularly produce things like this. In those days, they were called 'statement products'. Never intended for true production in any quantity at all, they were intended to show just what the company was capable of, given an unlimited approach in every way. They were always 'fuck you' items, to show just what was possible, given no restraints, commercially or financially. They were almost universally applauded, as they pushed the boundaries and were a true celebration of excellence.

Today, all we can apparently do is mock, and moan about the 'price', even though it is patently irrelevant. Nobody in their right minds would expect ANUK to sell any realistic number of this player. It is quite obviously intended to display the absolute limits of what is possible, and what ANUK are capable of. And instead of congratulating them for what is probably a remarkable achievement, we behave like a pile of jealous reality TV contestants, incapable of doing anything other than mocking the cost.

Really, from people who congratulate NASA (rightfully) on the achievement of the Mars lander, I find it very, very sad.

No Richard. I would congratulate AN if they produced a cartirdge with as little distortion as a CD player. I would congratulate them if they produced a loudspeaker with a +-0.5dB frequency reponse between 20Hz and 20kHz. I would congratrulate them if they produced a SET amplifier with 100 watt output at no more than 0.01% distortion at any power and any load above 2 ohms and at any frequency between 20Hz and 20kHz. In other words, I would congratulate them if they produced something of real technical excellence that was significantly better than anything hitherto produced. As CD players from £30 upwards are audibly transparent, and meet excellent technical specifications, what possible justification is there for a CD player at £190,000.

S.

• Upvote 1

Trouble is Serge, Audio Note UK kit generally looks like it was built out of old biscuit tins by badgers. Drunk badgers at that. But it sounds sublime. These are not items milled from billets of polished aluminium or adorned with 24 carat gold highlights, these are biscuit tins with crappy decals on. But they sound sublime.

I'd love to hear the new CDP.

I heard an AN UK Transport/DAC combiantion recently, back to back with some other kit. It blew away my high-end (and no doubt technically excellent) Japanese DAC. It blew away a (probably less excellent, but great-sounding) $$$ American high-end CDP.

If you truly believe that a £30 supermarket player is state of the art, I'm sorry for you.

Yes of course they're clever, but perhaps not technically. People with vast amounts of money, and willingness to buy bling don't seem to me to be those for whom the technical competence of something they buy is the overriding consideration. The price, the fact they can afford it when hardly anyone else can, and the looks (possibly) are more important that what the article actually is or does.

Taking advantage of these people is what the whole Luxury Goods industry does. It creates goods that only the very few can afford to buy, regardless of actual performance (Mechanical watches that keep time worse than a £10 Casio, for example) because imtrinsic performance isn;t what these goods are about. They're about exclusivity. Sold to the very few though outlets for the very few.

As James said above, I'd point and laugh. Laugh at the gullibility of those poor rich people who would spend that much money on something of equivalent performance that could be bought for £200, or in the case of some of these watches for £10.

S.

I guess selling wouldn't have been the right career path for you, Serge.