rocker65

Ali

Hi all,

I see Ali the boxer has been given an award.

All I can think of whenever I see his name(s) mentioned is how on earth

someone who was such a good boxer could at the same time be such a

totally awfull person.

It is such a shame though to see him reduced to his present state.

Rgds.

hang your head in shame for spouting such bollox !

Ali pretty much invented sport psychology. Most boxer's thought they were going to lose even before they got in the ring with him because he had totally psyched them out with his comments about being the greatest / unbeatable. Fantastic sports personality, we need more like him :)

All I can say is that at the time most people I knew felt exactly as I posted.

Quite a few sports commentators did too.

If you were around at the time and dissagree that is up to you.

Rgds

Number one childhood hero to me. Back in the days when you could watch the World Heavyweight title fights on poor mans telly.

Helped more people than most in history. His charity work is stuff of legend!

Awful? Fuck right off (now that's awful!)

Met him in California in 1991

True legend

:notworthy:

"Even if I'd been a garbage man, I'd have been the world's greatest garbage man."

"Hating people because of their color is wrong. And it doesn't matter which color does the hating. It's just plain wrong."

"It's just a job. Grass grows, birds fly, waves pound the sand. I beat people up."

VB

The greatest boxer the world has seen or is ever likely to see. Loved by the worlds sports fan's to this day.

He upset the establishment and did it his way didn't cow down to anybody.

Has already been said he had them beat before they got in the ring

Up to the oxters in tiles and pipes at the moment, but couldn't let this pass without comment.

My uncle was a serious fundraiser for a couple of well-known charities and met Ail a couple of times when they did charity auctions. Uncle is not known for being the quiet, retiring type (a real understatement) and says it like it is. His comments about some of the 'famous' people he has met are more than a little interesting...

He reckons Ali was always a bit sharp at first, but extremely likeable. He didn't suffer fools gladly, but gave freely of his time and effort for good causes. A thumbs up from that direction means a lot to me, as praise from someone who flew in the Battle of Britain and can still outdrink me at 90 years old is a little more valid than comments from someone who never met the guy.

Ali was a childhood hero and still is. I think my avatar says what I think about his sinse of fun.

Number one childhood hero to me. Back in the days when you could watch the World Heavyweight title fights on poor mans telly.

Helped more people than most in history. His charity work is stuff of legend!

Yes I know that and take my hat off to him for it.

Going back to my OP what you and others seem to be doing is not reading what I wrote.

I thought I had made it clear that my comments were about the times he was a champion boxer.

Obviously not.

Almost everybody at that time hoped somebody would beat him because of his

comments out of the ring, it did not come close to happening of course. He was so much better

that his opponents and acknowledged as such, by me too.

Rgds.

Yes I know that and take my hat off to him for it.

Going back to my OP what you and others seem to be doing is not reading what I wrote.

I thought I had made it clear that my comments were about the times he was a champion boxer.

Obviously not.

comments out of the ring, it did not come close to happening of course. He was so much better

Rgds.

all I can say is you must know some strange people, all of the people I knew who spoke about him, idolised him

Rgds.

Does that make him awful?

Ali was a great athlete, an articulate charismatic speaker and generous with his money.

If he hadn't been so generous he wouldn't have needed to box until too old which helped cause his health problems.

Was that almost a climb down rocker?

All I can say is that at the time most people I knew felt exactly as I posted.

Rgds

Obviously it seems you don't know the people on here as no one agrees with you, your opinion on some of todays "sportspeople" must be through the floor as some of them even I wouldn't take a drink from, ie the two brawlers who brought boxing to a new low.

Just my 2p.

Ali was a great athlete, an articulate charismatic speaker and generous with his money.

If he hadn't been so generous he wouldn't have needed to box until too old which helped cause his health problems.

Was that almost a climb down rocker?

No. Simply trying to clarify things.

Rgds.