rocker65

Ali

Obviously it seems you don't know the people on here as no one agrees with you, your opinion on some of todays "sportspeople" must be through the floor as some of them even I wouldn't take a drink from, ie the two brawlers who brought boxing to a new low.

Just my 2p.

What do you think you know about my opinions of some of todays sportspeople?

Please do not try to distort the meaning of my OP.

You will have to explain about the two brawlers you mention in your post.

The meaning is totlally lost. It means nothing to me I am afraid.

Rgds.

• Upvote 1

What do you think you know about my opinions of some of todays sportspeople?

Please do not try to distort the meaning of my OP.

You will have to explain about the two brawlers you mention in your post.

The meaning is totlally lost. It means nothing to me I am afraid.

Rgds.

Just stick with trains. You obviously have no idea about boxing.

41802_104079686300408_5330500_n.jpg

I hope that's not the bike that was nicked from a young Cassius, or he's in a whole world of trouble........

• Upvote 1

Just stick with trains. You obviously have no idea about boxing.

What has my knowledge of present day boxing got to do with my OP?

It seems to me that some people here, for whatever reason, are deliberatly misinterpreting my post

even though I have tried, in vain, to clarify things.

I think that while this closed mindedness dissapointingly prevails I will treat this as my last word on the subject

and hope that some of you at least will reconsider your responces to my original and subsequent posts.

Rgds.

It seems to me that some people here, for whatever reason, are deliberatly misinterpreting my post

I think that while this closed mindedness dissapointingly prevails I will treat this as my last word on the subject

and hope that some of you at least will reconsider your responces to my original and subsequent posts.

Rgds.

You start a thread calling one of the worlds most respected and loved individuals "awful" (your words, from your OP) and don't expect to be challenged? :roll:

You are either naive, or trolling. Still can't make my mind up on that one :nup:

What has my knowledge of present day boxing got to do with my OP?

Rgds.

Who said anything about present day boxing?

It seems to me like you are getting a bit butt hurty as nobody seems to agree with you. You may not like Ali. You are entitled to that opinion. As are others to question that opinion.

You said Ali was awful. You were challenged on that. Personally I think Thatcher was awful. I'm sure others will challenge me on that. I won't get butt-hurt about it.

Ali vs Thatcher, both in their prime. My money's on the Iron Lady:fight:

Legend, word was invented for Ali, ( or Cassius Clay when I were a Lad ) next him Roger Federer is merely a tennis player..:)

I've never been a lover of boxing (my late father was), but I am ancient enough to remember Cassius Marcellus Clay from his Olympic gold medal to his professional career. He is now a much-revered figure, but back then he actually wasn't. "The Louisville Lip" they called him, with his "Man alive, I'll get him in five!" and "I'm the greatest - and I'm pretty too!" How much was clown and how much genuine is hard to say, but he frequently appalled the BBC's Harry Carpenter, especially the time he battered some poor guy relentlesly, shouting "What's ma name?" after every punch (he'd just changed his name to Muhammad Ali and this guy had mocked him, using his birth name).

The climb to respectability seemed to have come with his opposition to the Vietnam War, which he regarded as wrong, probably as an offshoot of his black Muslim beliefs. At a time when the Americans were becoming more heavily involved, this was a courageous, if not downright foolhardy, thing to do. As the US public came to realise that the whole affair was a ghastly mistake. Ali's stock started to rise. He has now made the transition to senior sporting citizen, and of course his health problems have brought more sympathy.d

• Upvote 1

I've never been a lover of boxing (my late father was), but I am ancient enough to remember Cassius Marcellus Clay from his Olympic gold medal to his professional career. He is now a much-revered figure, but back then he actually wasn't. "The Louisville Lip" they called him, with his "Man alive, I'll get him in five!" and "I'm the greatest - and I'm pretty too!" How much was clown and how much genuine is hard to say, but he frequently appalled the BBC's Harry Carpenter, especially the time he battered some poor guy relentlesly, shouting "What's ma name?" after every punch (he'd just changed his name to Muhammad Ali and this guy had mocked him, using his birth name).

The climb to respectability seemed to have come with his opposition to the Vietnam War, which he regarded as wrong, probably as an offshoot of his black Muslim beliefs. At a time when the Americans were becoming more heavily involved, this was a courageous, if not downright foolhardy, thing to do. As the US public came to realise that the whole affair was a ghastly mistake. Ali's stock started to rise. He has now made the transition to senior sporting citizen, and of course his health problems have brought more sympathy.d

That is a very good post.

He effectively invented sports psychology, but it was entirely natural in his case.

Sure, he mouthed off. But then he had something to mouth off about, did he not?

"Float like a butterfly, sting like a bee". Poetry in and out of the ring. I used to watch his bouts on our tiny black and white TV and watching Ali was watching pure genius. The biggest sporting legend in my lifetime for an absolute certainty. Let's not forget his work in the ring. He was almost a ballet dancer with his sheer speed and dexterity, but then combined that with power like few others have ever come close to.

Compared to a thug like Tyson, Ali was beautiful to watch.