Turntables that time forgot

Guest Sranang_Boi

Guest Sranang_Boi

I am hoping that others are hiding in their system a few turntabls that are not in focus as far as popularity is concerned, but that are nonetheless worth their salt.

I'll kick off with my SONy PS-6750. A good set of pics can be viewed at http://www.thevintageknob.org/SONY/sonyvault/PS6750/PS6750.html

What attracted me to this deck was the looks and the technology that went into it. The arm is made of carbon fiber for one, and it has 3 weights. Most unusual in my opinion, but it works a treat. Built like a Tank, it is nonetheless a most pleasant TT to listen to. The plinth is a composite material that is very good in dampening feedback.

They were also made as DJ decks, which are only available in Japan. Those are now collectors items and command sky high prices.

The anti static lid is something else. It actually works, and doesn't attract dust at all. It's also the thickest lid I know of.

All in all a TT I rate as a hgh-end exotica that has been overlooked by the current breed of TT buyers. If you ever run into one and you are in need of a TT then the PS-6750 will astound you in terms of performance. Good thing is that because they are not well known you can pick one up far cheaper than they should be worth.

Guest Sranang_Boi

icehockeyboy wrote:

Ive got a Dual CS505 under me bed........................
How do you change records in the dark?

On 2nd thought, don't answer that. I forgot that you are a DJ:).

I have an unfair advantage, obviously, but most of my current collection are forgotten (some probably best so ;) ), including -

Rational Audio Aura 01

ADC Accutrac 4000

ADC Accutrac +6

Various LAD direct drives

Aiwa D80 front drawer-loader

etc. etc. *yawn*

Nice Sony, by the way, S_B - nicely designed and built like a tank.

icehockeyboy wrote:

That's not so long forgotten - still being made, and reviewed by a certain person in the next issue of a certain magazine ;)

http://www.sintron-audio.de/index.php?id=77

Beobloke wrote:

icehockeyboy wrote:

That's not so long forgotten - still being made, and reviewed by a certain person in the next issue of a certain magazine ;)

http://www.sintron-audio.de/index.php?id=77

Christ on a bike :shock:... its like the return of the Mummy or something.

Looks like they even have a UK distributor again ... still made in Germany ... bet they aren't cheap as chips any more then.

Uncle Ants wrote:

... bet they aren't cheap as chips any more then.

No, and that's its biggest problem.

Jesus, Biccy, put that damn picture away will you? My chair gets soggier each time you wheel it out.....:shock:;)

Can anyone remember the name of the turntable company that was setup using government funds in Northen Ireland in the 70's ?(like the DeLorean deal, job creation I think). A magazine got one to review- and it ran backwards.

Not at the moment but i used to have the first deck they made, the STM4. ;)

This had a very strange "floppy" headshell connection that connected the headshell to the armtube via a flexible rubber coupling, along with their fancy direct drive motor that drove the platter around its periphery. It actually seemed to work well as mine ran very quietly indeed and i was always annoyed that i never succeeded in making it run backwards.........:x

Sound quality was quite good, although bass was crap. Mainly due to the aforementioned floppy heashell connection, I suspect.

Some pics here, although none are of mine.

http://www.vinylengine.com/phpBB2/album_cat.php?cat_id=72&sort_method=pic_title&sort_order=ASC&sid=d94a163db7b21f6a7d487f1a9c9e6fc9&start=96

Biscuit wrote:

IMG_0796.jpg

any old excuse to break out the piccies of my Sony ;)

Looks nice, but for the life of me can't see why you need two identical turntables:D

W&F

Guest Sranang_Boi

I have nothing against the current crop of turntables, but I still prefer the classics. On my wish lists are the Kenwood L-07D and the Micro Seiki DDX-1000. Anyone here lucky enough to own one of these?

wow and flutter wrote:

Biscuit wrote:
IMG_0796.jpg

any old excuse to break out the piccies of my Sony ;)

Looks nice, but for the life of me can't see why you need two identical turntables :D

One for the left channel, the other for the right?

Simple, really.

Guest Sranang_Boi

Beobloke wrote:

Nice Sony, by the way, S_B - nicely designed and built like a tank.

This model is not well known and under valued in Europe but well worth snapping up if one shows up on eBay or the like. Performance is flawless.