chelseadave

Thoress Audio

Has anyone heard any of there stuff. They have been discribed as the 'Shindo of Germany' The 300b Mono's look interesting and thier speakers are made for low output valve amps Horns etc. Very different cosmetically. Check out the Pre Amp.http://www.thoeress.com/en/

Heard a demo of them at last years' Analog Forum exhibition in Krefeld. Their power amp uses some sort of German power triode rather than the usual 300B/211/2A3 etc. Phono pre looked like a tinkerer's dream, I'm not sure you could justify if for running 1 turntable/arm/cartridge combo for years on end like yours truly.

I'd say the sound made in that hotel room had all the hallmarks of a vinyl/SET/high efficiency cone speaker set up, couldn't say whether/to what extent it was tonally coloured as I wasn't familiar with any of the music they played but it hasd a pleasant sense of 'being there' anyway.

Looks are 'vintage (50s/60s) low volume pro gear' indeed.

I used to own one of Reinhardts Phono stages and it was pretty good, it was valve but not the usual 'sleepy' variety, and pretty quiet.

Keith.

I currently use a 2 watt 45 amp on my Audio Note AN-Es and am thinking of trying something with more power; perhaps the Thoress 845 monoblocks. I've heard the AN Jinro with 211s and it wasn't for me.

For a minute, I thought you actually wrote 2w...

I've seen the Thoress in the flesh and quite like the looks myself. Sadly they were only on display (at Munich last year) maybe they'll have some to listen to this year.

Beneath the "industrial" looking case they looked very well put together, although I have no knowledge of the circuits.

They certainly interest me

Got the 845 monos and super pre coming soon so look forward to discussions particularly to what 845 work with the amps.

• Like 2

Never heard of them but I like their look, always good to see different designs. There is a photo of one of their amps open with circuits and gubbins on display on the website. They certainly pack it in!

Cheers 

They were at Leamington show 2 years ago and sublime sound. I never heard of them before that.

Super Wammer
On 24/09/2012 at 09:03, Eric van Spelde said:

Heard a demo of them at last years' Analog Forum exhibition in Krefeld. Their power amp uses some sort of German power triode rather than the usual 300B/211/2A3 etc. Phono pre looked like a tinkerer's dream, I'm not sure you could justify if for running 1 turntable/arm/cartridge combo for years on end like yours truly.

I'd say the sound made in that hotel room had all the hallmarks of a vinyl/SET/high efficiency cone speaker set up, couldn't say whether/to what extent it was tonally coloured as I wasn't familiar with any of the music they played but it hasd a pleasant sense of 'being there' anyway.

Looks are 'vintage (50s/60s) low volume pro gear' indeed.

I think it was a Siemens F2a variant. 

Ok brief update, new amps with KR 845 are sublime. Fallen in love with their sound. Remind me of previous 805’s  with bit of 300b thrown in. My new fav valve, yes miss the 6c33c’s but so pleased, jan garbarek ecm 1515 just beautiful. Will report further later as only 3 hours in. 

• Like 1