Radioham

Rega R5 Your Thoughts

Super Wammer

Hi All,

Ive' been looking for some floorstanders for quite a while and found a pair of Rega R5 Speakers not to far away from where I live. With only a couple of hours for the bidding to end, I put in my maximum bid and found a few hours later I was the winner.

There seems to be very little info on the web esp. regarding reviews. I wonder if there are any Wammers who have any experience of the R5 ? I should be picking them up later this week or at the weekend.

Here are my thoughts:-

In my listening room I have to position the speakers firing across the short side of the room (12ft) as the long sides (17ft) have doors/windows etc. I also sit opposite the speakers about 8 feet away.Behind me is an open plan staircase to 1st floor, but it has full length heavy curtains to stop reflections and keep some heat in.

In the past I have tried many different speakers, but still looking for that perfect match.

Here are my (expensive) experiments to date in the current house. (Previously Kef Chorales,Concerto,Sony)

Sonus Faber Concertina- Lacked Bass, Tried SUB, but too much boom, Cant remember the Amp, Possibly NAD

Ruark ?-Worked well but smelt of smoke & damp (Inherited from deceased relative)

Kef Ref 1.2 - Amp not man enough for job, Sony switching amp, thought speakers were to blame

KEF IQ55 - Bass Driver failure-Lost Confidence in product

KEF Q300- Both Uni-Q Tweeters failed-Lost Confidence in product

Epos Epic 2 - Good sound, could do with a little more bass at lower volume

Rega R5 - Dont know yet. In theory having bass port at the front may help as the speakers have to be quite close to the rear wall, plus the side firing bass unit will be along the length of the room, rather than across. (Not sure yet if bass units will be inward or outward facing). Current amp is MF A1FBP and Audiolab 8200P. Source tends to be Radio2/3 time shifted from Virgin Tivo via a MF-Vdac, plus CD reply from Cocktail X10 (Flac) or HHB CDR (Pioneer Stable platter + Copper Chassis).

Regards

Alan

Hi there

I've got the newer RS5's in an all Rega system.

I've found everything to be perfectly in balance, but how much of that is down to synergy I'm not too sure.

I have found that they sound best in my system with the bass drivers pointed out. Like you I have to listen across the short axis of the room and this way round I get a MUCH better soundstage.

Hi,

RS3 user here with similar room layout - speakers firing across width of room.

I've only been in this house for a few weeks so still experimenting with positioning, but I have tried inward and outward facing and I can't really tell much difference tbh. Slight toe in improves things a bit.

Enjoy the new speakers!!

Super Wammer

Hi All,

Thanks for the replies.

The speakers were installed on Saturday afternoon and I have spent the weekend playing a wide variety of material. I find the bass to be very good, but not booming, and the detail on individual instruments to be a major plus point. I have my bass drivers facing inwards as that has the least obstructions in the way. (only a flat screen TV) however having facing out would fire into the side of a fish tank, one side and a hifi rack the other. Instruments like the piano have much more body to the sound other than just the strung notes. I think these are the best I have owned to date.

Regards

Alan