adsa

Turntable Motors

Hi Folks

If I were to dabble in making a new turntable, where would the best place to find motors be? I'm sure some of you have gone through this, so best place to ask...

Cheers

Adam

I've no real idea, it's not something I've looked into, but as a starter, hows this

http://www.stamfordaudio.co.uk/cgi-bin/sitewise.pl?act=big&p=7098&id=stamaudio

Ideally you want adjustable speed. This reduces accuracy requirements on the pully or platter circumferences and allows you experiment with belts.

My preferred method is an AC synchronous motor, like that found in a rega or linn, then use an mp3 player with a small amplifier and some transformers to drive the motor at any frequency.

DC motor pods are also on ebay, usually under the band FFYX.

Same motor as the one Stamford is selling, without the pulley from RS.

http://uk.rs-online.com/web/p/ac-motors/4410423/?origin=PSF_421225|alt

Hi Folks

If I were to dabble in making a new turntable, where would the best place to find motors be? I'm sure some of you have gone through this, so best place to ask...

Cheers

Adam

As you haven't actually specified belt drive, personally I'd buy a 'junker' Vestax DJ deck and use the item out of that. The later ones (PDX 2000/2300/3000) are controlled by a 32 bit CPU and have enough torque to jump-start a helicopter.

Guest john_booker

The RS part has neither Pulley nor bottom spindle support.

Guest john_booker

Adsa, get a 24v Rega motor, and then ask Guy to lend you the AC motor controller he's done bugger all with since borrowing it from a an ex-member of these pages. It's a quality AC regenerator with power amp output, everything is GUI controlled with phase and voltage being trimable in 0.1 degree/volt steps.

Pro-ject is another with low voltage motors and reasonably priced controllers.

A dealer who sells Rega will simply order one or have one in stock, with all the other parts, you can build a deck and arm from spares :-) I modified my rega with 2inch granite slabs and another one with an old school split plinth design, just so I could separate the plinth/s with squash balls or cones or whatever I fancied. I have also had turned a brass pulley wheel/flywheel tha allows mw to rim drive the rega platter. Then I raised the bearing from the bottom ball by using a couple of ring magnets, one under the inner platter, now that made a noticeable difference.

The next best thing was, as suggested above, to have a decent power supply. The Rega works well with the circuit on the Linn/Naim website. Although I also had an old Linn PSU which worked well too.

PM me if you're interested in bits though, I've got a box full here!

I have been getting good results with a cast resin plinth. The main thing to remember though is that large flat surfaces (plinths a la Rega) tend to sympathetically vibrate sooner than the cutaway ones (skeletal) less is always more. Constrained damping works, energy can be changed but never truly dissipated without some feedback in the system...... it/I goes on, sorry....