glowingtones

Silvercore 1 to 10 or Audio Note Step-up Kit

Thanks Rob

The first time I heard an 'SUT upgrade' was a pair of hand built S & B transformers bypassing the MC stage in my friends Icon Audio PS3 and the sound was much better than with the Icon transformers. His sound was further improved as he tried ever more expensive transformers. There's no doubt a mc step up transformer will improve detail from any MC cartridge but like most tangible improvements there will always a price to pay and the secret is knowing where to stop !

My idea of setting a budget of £500 was to get the best SUT I could that would match my cartridge - I'm convnced the SUT is is imprtant as the cartridge. The downside has been the learning curve - it was a nightmare finding good info on the subject and I've probably learned as much from this forum as elsewhere around the web.

when talking about intact, you have to put into account their SUTs are unshielded (unless i got things wrong). so you have to deal with it, which may be easy but maybe not, depending on application.

tribute SUTs are at the moment 435e a pair, plus shipping (and probably plus VAT.... not sure about this)....plus unknown waiting time:)

that's what i've thought too but i was quite surprised a month ago when he told me i would need to take care of shielding.

really strange, this is a quote from dave from 20 may

Hello,

My transformers come unshielded so they will need to be shielded. They are also larger than most shielded units so space becomes a consideration.

dave

Greetings. I just received a One to Ten and it won't step up my cart sufficiently and that's putting it mildly. I have a first generation Koetsu Black and don't know what the output is. If you do, I would very much appreciate knowing what it is. I'm wondering if it isn't 2mv instead of 4mv like the more recent ones. Thanks.

Just to clarify a point raised earlier, the first 25 T10's made use of some transformers from Amplimo in the Netherlands and featured variable loading on the 2ndary. However the raw transformers, despite being specced at 1:15 were actually only giving 1:8 which wasn't enough in some instances. Subsequent T10s have used transformers that are switchable between 1:18 and 1:36 which covers most eventualities but don't have provision for adjustable loading as such although resistors could easily be tacked in.

Sent from my GT-P3110 using Tapatalk 2

So, I borrowed a friend's Shelter which IS 4mv and still I can get only very low volume sound with the One to Ten even with the volume control ALL the way up. Suggestions, please, please.

I know this is crazy, but you do have it connected the right way round, don't you?

I know this is crazy, but you do have it connected the right way round, don't you?

Not crazy in the least. Ya gotta know and thank you for the reply. The problem is that my preamp is only a line stage and so I will put my phono pre back into the line once I get another set of IC's and that should do it so sayeth the importer. Happy to report back when this in done and I've listened for awhile.

Not crazy in the least. Ya gotta know and thank you for the reply. The problem is that my preamp is only a line stage and so I will put my phono pre back into the line once I get another set of IC's and that should do it so sayeth the importer. Happy to report back when this in done and I've listened for awhile.

Ooh yes, that'll do it. You need the Pre - MM phono - Step up :)