My Shiny New Bit of Kit thread.....tell us what you've bought.

2 hours ago, BeeRay said:

I've also just got a used Canon 6D, excellent condition, only 4,000 shots on the clock. Have not really tried it out yet. Hopefully will go out Wednesday. Been struck indoors for about 2 weeks.

I had a 6D - very nice camera! Would have another in a heartbeat.

Pretty sure I still have a battery or two for it if you'd like them. Drop me a PM if you're interested.

I also have the original packaging for my old 6D, which you're also welcome to if yours doesn't have it.

On 06/03/2020 at 21:31, horace said:

I had a 6D - very nice camera! Would have another in a heartbeat.

Pretty sure I still have a battery or two for it if you'd like them. Drop me a PM if you're interested.

I also have the original packaging for my old 6D, which you're also welcome to if yours doesn't have it.

Horace, thanks very much, I could do with some more batteries as my 2 Canon originals have nearly had it. I will send you a pm. I have the original box for the 6D so I don't need that thanks. 

Posted (edited)

Just been looking at some of my 6D images, quite impressed so far. The problem with the 5D2 on long exposures was noise, it's not bad if correctly exposured but underexposed could be problems. So I was doing 30 second exposures but on one the remote release slipped after 2 seconds, so it was about 4 stops under, the image is almost black when you go into RAW but an exposure adjustment soon corrects it and it's pretty good, on the 5D I have similar images and they are unusable even after using Topaz DeNoise which pretty good, they have many red dots, can't see any red dots on the 6D. This is the main reason why I bought it. I may sell my 5D2 now or keep as a back-up, not sure yet. Batteries also seem to last longer. There are a few other features that I find useful, the level is good, because on long exposures you can't always see the image on the LCD screen as too dark. Actually I could see ok the other day but it was fairly good lighting but maybe its better than the 5D2, will have to test that. The grid is also quite handy. Silent shooting also a good feature, stops mirror slap and is less noticeable.

Edited by BeeRay

I seem to be in the mood to acquire cameras at the moment. Just snagged a Fujifilm X100S - I was holding out for the X100T, but the S was a bit of a steal at £265.

Looking forward to receiving it and finding out what all the fuss is about.

In the meantime, I have my new D610 to tame.

Oh well, when the country goes into total lockdown, the X100S might be good for documenting the knife-fights over the last packets of loo rolls.

Exciting times.

Posted (edited)

And here it is...

IMG_20200318_133748.jpgIt's lovely. The only thing missing is the little ring that covers the filter thread on the lens, but I won't be losing sleep over that.

Edited by horace
  • Like 4

With hindsight, I should have bought the X100S instead of the X-T2, but I got back what I spent on the latter so it's all good.

I'm defnititely going to need to invest in some more batteries though - have emptied the existing one very quickly.

The EVF/OVF is awesome.

Mmmmm - shiny....

5 minutes ago, horace said:

Mmmmm - shiny....

Yeah, I think the Dura Black is better for most people but I loved the look of the Contax G2 so I was swayed. The Dura Silver is apparently the harder wearing of the two. 
A kaza half case is on the way from Hong Kong to join it. 
What a shame I’m not allowed to go outside and use it. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, HectorHughMunro said:

Yeah, I think the Dura Black is better for most people but I loved the look of the Contax G2 so I was swayed. The Dura Silver is apparently the harder wearing of the two. 

Yes, lockdown is a pain. While the whole family is stuck in the house, I'm planning some indoor portraits.  The downside (or maybe not - we'll see) is that I will have to face my fear of shooting with flash (ahem, I mean my 'preference for natural light'). Of course, I will actually have to buy a flash first...

Black is boring. 

• Like 1

Lovely Tim - fresh out of the cellophane.

You can always use it when out on your single exercise session of the day 😉 

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, horace said:

Yes, lockdown is a pain. While the whole family is stuck in the house, I'm planning some indoor portraits.  The downside (or maybe not - we'll see) is that I will have to face my fear of shooting with flash (ahem, I mean my 'preference for natural light'). Of course, I will actually have to buy a flash first...

Black is boring. 

I’ve never used a flash.  I think I’ve owned four but never got around to actually using one, ever. 

1 hour ago, HectorHughMunro said:

Can't you go for a walk and use it?

I have been using my Rich GRII.