My Shiny New Bit of Kit thread.....tell us what you've bought.

4 hours ago, Craig said:

Been a while since I bought myself a new toy, so here we go emoji41.png

Peak Design Travel Tripod (aluminium)

The matter of whether it works in the field will have to wait til the weekend, but in the meantime I'm just marvelling at the engineering: it's a weapon

Interested to see how you get on with it. I've almost bought one a couple of times :D.

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Wanted one of these since I was a spotty teenager, and whilst no it's not going to be as scientifically wonderful as a half-decent digital camera, I just know it will give a huge amount of pleasure in

Lock down projects. Since I can't go out and do my usual landscape stuff I thought I'd try the oil on water macro thing. I've never done this before so it's a bit of a learning curve. I used a tablet

Before the smudges! Before the smudges by HectorHughMunro, on Flickr

Posted Images

54 minutes ago, Sumdumgi said:

Interested to see how you get on with it. I've almost bought one a couple of times :D.

I'm an unashamed PD fan boy. I love em. I have now been sat playing with this tripod for about 20 mins now. It's like Christmas. 

Frankly, it'd have to somehow cause my camera to explode for me to even slightly consider selling it 

In the interests of balance, I will though try and provide a fair assessment of how it functions as a tripod after the weekend. 

• Like 1
  • 4 weeks later...

Giving serious thought as to the Viltrox 85mm MkII just now for my Fuji X system, seems to receive great write ups.

mac

On 07/05/2021 at 00:25, macvisual said:

Giving serious thought as to the Viltrox 85mm MkII just now for my Fuji X system, seems to receive great write ups.

mac

My view about Viltrox ( have the 33mm) is that they’re good but about a rung down from Samyang.  Fuji glass is better but of course more expensive.  Yes, I’ve seen some some good files from the 85mm.  

Which Z series Nikon is that?

30 minutes ago, tkimages said:

Which Z series Nikon is that?

It's a Z7 (original). The real star is that 50-1.8 S though, it's quite superb.

Sounds like a magic combination :D

• Like 1
2 hours ago, tkimages said:

Sounds like a magic combination :D

It ain't too shabby. :^

Unusually (especially for me, being a proud, fully signed up, badge-wearing impulse buyer :D ) I've been mulling over the Z7 (or 6) for quite a few months now. I have a few large prints (around 40" long side) taken from the A7RIII around the house but I ended up just hating that camera. The IQ was incredible though, and the idea of a Nikon (whose UI and ergos I really like) with similar IQ was going to be worth investigating.

I put it off for ages, but once making the decision to move the Leica on (an itch scratched) it was a green light to go for the Z7. After a clear-out, all that's left is the E-M1 Mk2, Pen F, 12-40 2.8 and that delightful Lumix 20-1.7. The Nikon will have a couple of fast primes, and all I need is some reach for the Olys, will probably be the Olympus 75-300 which is a great lens for the price.

This Z 50-1.8 S is just stunning - I was a little cynical when Nikon announced their Z Mount 'nifty fifty' for such a high cost. I'd say, having used it, it's cheap for what it does. It would give my old Sigma 50 1.4 Art more than a bloody nose, that's for sure.