dougie834

ZU AUDIO loudspeakers

Where are you located Dougie?

There is a dealer on the outskirts of Manchester in Saddleworth.

I've heard them a few times at his demo room and at the Manchester airport show last year. They are initially impressive in a demo but I think I would soon find them too much in your face for extended listening. I'm a pipe and slippers Harbeth chap so its horses for courses.

Im in teeside prob be a good idea for me to have a dem of them cheers

thanks for the feedback lads got me thinking more about the Zu range,there is a pair of wilson watt/puppy 2 going for £3k or best offer ? which caught my eye but not sure how they will compaire to the virgos ?,even though my setup is way better than my old setup in terms of soundstage imaging detail etc I do miss the raw musicality and live feel it had hence my intrest in Zu audio

Could suit you if you like a big dynamic sound with plenty of presence.

One of the very few I've heard that can make a Ludwig drum sound like a Ludwig drum...

On the end of Pathos they sound great, slightly taming any top end excesses, but not so much that you'll think you're being anaesthetised...Miles's trumpet and Coleman's sax will still make you jump out of your skin, if that's what you want.

Not perfect (what is?) but a very exciting listen that excels with rock - as you might expect from a company founded by someone who started out making valve guitar amps.

The Omen Defs are big, and quite imposing. Like a previous poster, it was the Essences that piqued my interest.

You MUST hear them before committing though, they can divide opinions, but if you value a big ballsy delivery over flat frequency tonal accuracy (yawn!) they might be right up your street.

Good at moving air, even at lowish volume (I listen at about 65-70dB usually), they don't need big watts to get them going. Have a listen, they're A LOT of fun!

And about a quarter of the price of Wilsons too :cool:

Do they do imageing and soundstage ok ? what speaker did you own before the Zu ?

Super Wammer
Could suit you if you like a big dynamic sound with plenty of presence.

One of the very few I've heard that can make a Ludwig drum sound like a Ludwig drum...

On the end of Pathos they sound great, slightly taming any top end excesses, but not so much that you'll think you're being anaesthetised...Miles's trumpet and Coleman's sax will still make you jump out of your skin, if that's what you want.

Not perfect (what is?) but a very exciting listen that excels with rock - as you might expect from a company founded by someone who started out making valve guitar amps.

The Omen Defs are big, and quite imposing. Like a previous poster, it was the Essences that piqued my interest.

You MUST hear them before committing though, they can divide opinions, but if you value a big ballsy delivery over flat frequency tonal accuracy (yawn!) they might be right up your street.

Good at moving air, even at lowish volume (I listen at about 65-70dB usually), they don't need big watts to get them going. Have a listen, they're A LOT of fun!

And about a quarter of the price of Wilsons too :cool:

So....your're back in Blighty.....got the Zu's up and running in your new abode yet ??

At Parma airport at the moment! Back tonight, hoping to get hifi set up next weekend...your invite is imminent! :^

Do they do imageing and soundstage ok ? what speaker did you own before the Zu ?

Sorry but I'm the wrong person to ask that question! Since an ear open a couple of years ago, I only hear though one so stereo imaging is something I can't experience. Hence my focus on timbre and dynamics.

Previously I was using B&W CDM9NT (another Wam favourite...not!) and the Zus are a significant improvement. I had a pair of Audio Physic Virgos at home for a night, but their imaging strengths are lost on me I'm afraid and i preferred the Zus.

bump.gif

This speaker brand is on my radar now. Not least for its metrosexual finishes like the black with silver trim drivers.:love:

From what I've surmised in this thread, it seems synergistic partnering can be a hit and miss thing. But it seems valve amps pair better with Zu than shrieky Densens:P or gruff Naims.:D

Any more opinions from wammers who have recently heard the Omen bookshelf, or Soul floorstander? The former is rated at 50Hz, how is its depth of bass in a listening room?

cheerSS

If you like an exciting sound have you tried Triangle?

Ideally, I require 96dB sensitivity and a crossover-less design. Triangles pass none of those.:P

That said, I've read of Triangle speakers' surprising compatibility with SET amps. A Stereophile scribe used his 3.5w Sun Audio 2A3 power amp into the 90dB 4 ohm Comete Anniversary.

I have been wondering about taking a chance on the newish Titus EZ standmount. It's really pretty.:love: Even if it doesn't work with my SET amps, I can feed it to my PPs.:D

cheerSS

Has anyone owned or heard any of the loudspeakers from ZU audio ? reviews state thay are very live and direct sounding which is what im looking for,using audio physic virgo 2 at the moment which are very good but sometimes miss that live event feel I got from the old snell type c,also looking at used pair of wilson watt/puppy would these give a live musical sound or too 'hifi' ?

thanks

I had a pair of Zu Omen definition's .My thoughts were that yes initially they impressed with there zingy presentation,lots of midrange and lots of well controlled bass.The bass was superb ,even in my small room due to the unique port loading at the bottom making positioning easy.

However swapping to my other speakers at the time (Harbeth SHL5) revealed that they had little top end detail and less midrange information.

In short if you like what they do and you dont have very revealing sources and good recordings you like to hear everything from, then buy.

The drivers are just not up to showing off the best in your system.

James

Has anyone owned or heard any of the loudspeakers from ZU audio ? reviews state thay are very live and direct sounding which is what im looking for,using audio physic virgo 2 at the moment which are very good but sometimes miss that live event feel I got from the old snell type c,also looking at used pair of wilson watt/puppy would these give a live musical sound or too 'hifi' ?

thanks

I don't like the ZUs at all, but there is a guy I know in East London who owns a pair and loves them, he had Audion reference amps and now NAT audio amps, lots of power treatement, high end cables and stuff (but the sound is one of the worst I heard). If you want to listen to them, I can put you over. I hear zero soundstage, sound comes from exactly where the speakers are located, no width, depth, height, etc. Bass is average, he loves the tone, I think it's just nice). Now whether this is his set up I cannot say.

They are also heavily modded