Musical Fidelity

That’s a proper amp that is
Actually moved it on as I detected a little solid state grain compared to my current amp, which to be fair retailed at over twice the price of the A308. Just thought it funny no reviews mentioned it but I am more sensitive to it than most.

• 1 month later...

A few months ago I ended up buying a JS level 2 upgraded M8 500.  I have matched it with an M8 Pre....I started looking at M6500 integrated! Like most of us the budget kept creeping up and up. I still sometimes wish I bought a NV800. 

I'm using a Naim ND5 XS2 streamer and Proac D20R speakers....but I feel a little underwhelmed with my system. 

I demoed loads of speakers when I bought the D20 (with my previous Audiolab gear) and I always loved them.

I can't help but think there is a mismatch between the Naim streamer and amps. 

Does anyone have any steamer recommendations that would work well with MF? 

My current plan is to have the Pre sent to JS.  I have spoken to him before the pre arrived and he said use it for a month or so to get used to it and them let him upgrade it.  Interestingly he asked how I wanted it to sound or what areas I'd like improving. Although I'm not gelling with my system, I dont really know what to say needs improving! 

I also got in touch with a local dealer to try a Supernait 3....it will be interesting to see how 80w compares with 500!

Would upgrading a Preamp make much of a difference? 

1 hour ago, RICHARDIIII said:

A few months ago I ended up buying a JS level 2 upgraded M8 500.  I have matched it with an M8 Pre....I started looking at M6500 integrated! Like most of us the budget kept creeping up and up. I still sometimes wish I bought a NV800. 

I'm using a Naim ND5 XS2 streamer and Proac D20R speakers....but I feel a little underwhelmed with my system. 

I demoed loads of speakers when I bought the D20 (with my previous Audiolab gear) and I always loved them.

I can't help but think there is a mismatch between the Naim streamer and amps. 

Does anyone have any steamer recommendations that would work well with MF? 

My current plan is to have the Pre sent to JS.  I have spoken to him before the pre arrived and he said use it for a month or so to get used to it and them let him upgrade it.  Interestingly he asked how I wanted it to sound or what areas I'd like improving. Although I'm not gelling with my system, I dont really know what to say needs improving! 

I also got in touch with a local dealer to try a Supernait 3....it will be interesting to see how 80w compares with 500!

Would upgrading a Preamp make much of a difference? 

Can you describe what aspects of the sound that you are not enjoying?

It could be the Naim, or it could be the MF. I much preferred the Class A AMS35i to the hugely more powerful M6500.....and the NV800 was outstanding.

Have you considered a Sugden Amp, or even an Arcam Class G (A49 or SA 30)? Pathos would be another decent choice.

IMV. ProAc sounds best with Class A or Valves.

Edited by CnoEvil
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Any experiences of the kW DM25 2-box CDP? I'm planning the upgrade of my digital front end and looking at all sorts of things to replace what I have. Not sure whether to go one-box CDP or separate transport & DAC, not necessarily even the same make. This combo caught my eye though and I'd like to know a bit more about its musical presentation, shortcomings etc. What transport mech do they use? I want to avoid buying anything that's going to become obsolete with a laser failure, for instance

• 2 weeks later...

Has anyone bi-amped a M6si and a M6s PRX?

I already own a M6si and had been wondering about adding a sub to my set-up, and then somebody on another forum suggested adding a PRX and bi-amping to see if I could get a little more out of the speakers especially at lower volumes. I have some Kef Reference 1 speakers where this might work, so I am keen to try. I am arranging a demo unit in my home first to see how it works.

The PRX is 230w and the M6si is 220w, Kef suggested the PRX powering the LF part of the speakers. Has anyone else done this or similar?

On 05/11/2021 at 21:25, Jules_S said:

Any experiences of the kW DM25 2-box CDP? I'm planning the upgrade of my digital front end and looking at all sorts of things to replace what I have. Not sure whether to go one-box CDP or separate transport & DAC, not necessarily even the same make. This combo caught my eye though and I'd like to know a bit more about its musical presentation, shortcomings etc. What transport mech do they use? I want to avoid buying anything that's going to become obsolete with a laser failure, for instance

Hi Jules,
It's a superb sounding player but getting a little long in the tooth now.
The transport has no SPDIF outputs & is limited to the kW25 DAC with the dual mono connection.
The DAC does have a SPDIF connection though.
Its loading draw was noisy but reliable. 
You might be advised to ask JS Audio about an aging MF mech though mate:)

Edited by Von Krolock

Thanks for the feedback, Richard, good to know. My biggest fear is buying a pricey (to me) player or transport and ending up with a glorified doorstop due to non-availability of replacement mechanisms.

I might give this one a miss and stick to more mainstream transports. I currently use the Cambridge Audio CXC which is fine, but I suspect I could improve on things. Mind you I also need to seriously improve my DAC, hence I could be looking for an all in one player or a 2-box setup, nothing's decided yet. Really need to get to listen to some different combinations and see what works best for me I suppose