Quad

Has anyone compared the QSP against the QMPs. Is there anymore than just power (watts).

I'm considering QMP's and have a QSP but finding a local dealer with QMP's on demo is not easy.

They will be driving Magneplanar MG12 with modded xovers.

Any comments?

There isn't a great deal about the QMP's other than the HiFiWorld review.

Thanks

Regards

Gerard

I think the bottom line with Quad's is this: I bought a 33 / 303 second hand about 35 years ago, paying £75 per unit. I sold them 7-8 years later to a friend for £75 a unit, to a guy who sold them on for £80 a unit to another guy I know who has just sold them for £100 each. Never any problem with them in all that time (and all that transportation).

- If you think you are likely to ever chop and change amps you cant really go far wrong with that can you?

Just obtained a 405-2 and it sounds great using a quad cd2 player.

However there is a transformer buzz. Does anyone have experience changing the transformer and what with?

Also I need more inputs so perhaps a good 34 comes next.

I checked it out a while a go when suspecting I may need a new one (turns out I didn't), this looked like a useful link http://www.dadaelectronics.eu/ForumRetrieve.aspx

Nice to read-hear great Quad experiences.

I checked it out a while a go when suspecting I may need a new one (turns out I didn't), this looked like a useful link http://www.dadaelectronics.eu/ForumRetrieve.aspx

Thanks Mark.

Was your transformer humming (not from the speakers)?

Thanks Mark.

Was your transformer humming (not from the speakers)?

NP glad it's useful.

In my case it was (is) the speakers - I've not got it sorted yet. Careful listening showed that the transformer was totally quiet.

• 2 weeks later...
................................................................................

So... could this be a transformer driven issue? I thought that that was a mechanical noise within the amp itself rather than resulting in noise through the speakers - am I wrong in this? It looks like a toriodal transformer - RS part no 223-8235 is suitable and only £38 so hardly bank-breaking though there will be some mounting issues - I'd rather not do this unless I know it's the issue. ............................................................................................................................

Has anyone used this RS transformer in their 405?

How did it perform and what wiring connections were used?

Thanks

I finally got round to assembling an all Quad system to go with my Harbeth P3-ES2 speakers:

Quad Elite CDP

Quad Elite Pre

Quad Elite Stereo Power

It's not quite the all English dream combination since the Elite range is made in China. Still, my initial impressions are of a very nice synergy between the amp and the speakers. I also like the functionality of the system, including Quad's famous Tilt tone control - at least, I like the idea of it as I haven't used it in anger yet.

Anyway, a couple of questions for my fellow Quadies:

1. I like the Quadlink connectors as it's fun to be able to turn the whole system on with one button press. However one of the Quadlink cables that came with the kit is a bit long. I'm stacking the components so all I need is the shortest length (16 cm, I think). Is there a cheap source of these? |Cheapest I've found so far is an e-Bay seller asking for about £37 but they look like the kind of thing Maplins might sell for far less.

2. Curious about the tone controls.... Do you use them and, if so, how often? In theory I could sell the pre as the CDP has a built in volume control and can take multiple digital sources. But I don't want to do that and regret it later. So, how useful in practice are the Tilt etc. controls?

I stayed up late playing music last night so this combination certainly has that "just one more tune..." factor.

I emailed Rob Flain at IAG a while back and a 1m Quad link cable was £30.70 + Vat + P&P. So a shorter one might be a little bit cheaper.

I've had a 33 and a 99 pre. Played around with the tone controls extensively, but ultimately never used them. In both instances I just went back to feeding my Dac straight into the 909.

Enjoy sutably Quad or anything for noise-reproduction for not too much ...

Enjoy sutably Quad or anything for noise-reproduction for not too much ...

Thanks for the warm welcome Chumpy! As you say, it's great kit for relatively little money.

I emailed Rob Flain at IAG a while back and a 1m Quad link cable was £30.70 + Vat + P&P. So a shorter one might be a little bit cheaper.

I've had a 33 and a 99 pre. Played around with the tone controls extensively, but ultimately never used them. In both instances I just went back to feeding my Dac straight into the 909.

Thanks Jim, I'll drop Quad a line. Tone controls... it will be interesting to see how much I use them as my little Harbeths integrate with the room so well and the tonal balance always seems about right. The nice thing is I can always sell the pre-amp if it's not getting much use.

• 4 weeks later...

For anyone interested, or anyone searching the net for Quad 405 hum problems, I've finally found and fixed my hum (see earlier posts in this thread).

The solution was to connect the speaker return (black connections) to the chassis ground rather than directly to the PSU board. No change to the overall electrical connections (the PSU board directly connects the speaker return to ground).

Now I'll just make a final couple of mods I've been putting off until the hum is fixed (a few small capacitors aimed at reducing op-amp noise etc), tidy up the wiring and get the covers back on and finally start using it !

• oldius changed the title to Quad