Sign in to follow this  
darrenm

Plinius CD LAD and 8200P

I picked up a Plinius CD LAD pre amp and Plinius 8200P power amp last night from a Wammer:

IMG_2602.jpg

As you may be aware I have had the 8100 integrated for a while now. I had started to go off of it and fancied a smooth sound, so picked up a Copland. After a few weeks I plugged the Plinius back in and realised what I was missing.

These came up at a good price so I thought I'd see what Plinius had to offer slightly higher up the ladder.

Hopefully this will prove to be an upgrade, as I have been side-stepping for too long now...

To be continued :cool:

Lovely looking system there Darren. :^ Great rack too.

That looks fabulous - and fits beautifully with the Copland. :)

I have owned the new amplifiers for several days now, and the initial excitement has worn off.

At first I had been very impressed. The pre/power built upon the strengths of the integrated and I felt that it took things to a new level.

I sat down on Tuesday night though and was quite under whelmed. I sat down again last night and still felt the same. There is no doubt that the amps are very good, but perhaps as a system things aren’t quite right.

For the first few days of ownership I was impressed with the new power, slam, and dynamics, and played music that exaggerated these strengths – dance and electronica, mostly.

Last night and the night before, I sat down to listen and literally couldn’t hear anything. It was as a massive blanket had been thrown over the speakers. I listened to a few of my favourite discs by Sting, Steely Dan, and Fleetwood Mac and there was just no midrange; I could barely hear the vocals, let alone make out the lyrics. This is very strange because only a few evenings before I was praising the new amps for the extra detail they bought to the system. Albums that are only purely vocal, for example, Norah Jones, are fine; the problems seem to be where vocals are a small part in a complex mix.

I know the speakers are dark-sounding, and I’ve had similar criticisms in the past. The new amps are maybe highlighting this though, because they are pushing so much bass and dynamics from the speakers that the midrange is getting muddled in left behind?

I am surprised that over a few days my opinion on the character of the system has made a u-turn! I’ll have to give it more time and play around. I know that cables have helped clean up vocals in the past, but it seems a shame to have to spend more money to solve issues in a system that should be bloody good in the first place.

Crappy Dynaudio! :D

Shame that the combo is not working for you it does look awfully nice. Dyns are very weird speakers and I also had moment when I got something new that I thought wow to just hate it after 3 days just like you. Now my set up sound great though(to me that is) so you might wanna give a Primare I30 or A30.1mkII a try when you get the chance. Still as always I suggest you try to place the speakers differently also try different angles of toe in. I always had a bit of a bass issue and changed everything around and got a new amp and cd player. I thought this was a big improvement but when I moved my speakers a little bit closer to the wall(they where about 4 feet away from the rear for said bass issues) the bass some how tightened up a lot without becoming boomy.

I was enjoying it again last night. There is so much grunt there. It really urges me to turn it up and rock out. The sound is very focused too.

I'll just have to live with it and see how my opinion changes in time.

It's a shame that moving up the Dyn range is unlikely, as the 1.3 didn't work in my room, I feel C1 or S25 would be worse ? :(

I like Audiovector though.

Going by your description the Plinius kit mayhave Naim-like traits.

Soundsbouncy with dance music and rock,flat/ dullwith classical and vocals, recessed midrange, lacking emotion....

yep thats how Naim sounds to me. :?

should have said you liked Steely Dan- i have the entire Donald Fagen back catalogue when you came to buy the amps- could have demoed them with a variety of nice speakers!!

As i said the other evening, have used Mordaunt Short MS30i Classics, the Vaessens, Wharfedale Harewoods and other stuff as temp solutions and never noticed the midrange issue you mention but i was left a little underwhelmed by the Contour 1.8mk2/Plinius 8100 combo so maybe Dyn only prefer the slightly newer Plinius amps?

Either way, you're right to say they're very good- look after them please :)

I finally have my 8100 integrated back, and the pre and power have sold to a Wammer.

The 8100 sounds quite different to the pre/power combo. It's light and airy and bright, although not in a harsh way. It's probably not as good as the pre/power but I like this character at the moment.

It's only been on 20mins, but I'll update.

Glad you have some music again Darren. I have only had one decent evening listening to the Amps in my system, but so far my impression is only positive.

I will write a proper review later on but I love the power and detail they bring. They are even very good for low level late night listening.

I think I will have them for quite a while.