Nice to hear Rab ....... my mate raced a commando in the Avon Production series many many centuries ago when we lived in black and white..... it had the usual Norvil mods lovely ... I used to help out .... Another mate had a 750 triple Kwak ..... he let me have a go on that ... for a kid who was running a 250 Ducati single at the time it was a bit of a scary bloody thing !!! Ted used to drop the Kawasaki quite regular IIRC .... I remember it having a little holder for three spare spark plugs under the seat .... it had Denco expansion chambers on it !!!!! christ it sounded good.

I was in the RAF at the time and there was quite a few bikes on the camp. They were great days Rab ..... but I do remember a few guys never coming back from a day out on the bike ... sad ...

Several years later at another RAF base we lost two lads within a year ... both on Jotas .... awful.....

Yup. Much as I comment on riding here, we were all terminally insane in those days and I lost a couple of mates. One, a very close friend.

Difference, I suppose, is that the roads were a hell of a lot less crowded back then. If you stuffed it, it was likely to be you and a hedge, rather than you and another car.

I rode a Jota a couple of times, as a mate had one. Frankly, you'd need to have worked hard to have stuffed one. The handling was in a different class, though I'm told that right at the ragged edge they were nasty. I did ride the Dunstall close to the ragged edge a few times, but it was a forgiving old lump. You always knew when you were pushing too hard and it all started to get a bit disjointed and wobbly, so the natural reaction was to wind the wick in a bit. As things like the Jota were other people's pride and joy, I never took it to that extent.

Just been lucky to be honest. On two wheels and on fours, I've owned stuff that never bit that hard.

Actually, on four wheels that's not entirely true. In the late 70s and early 80s I was buying and selling daft cars and a few real nightmares did enter my life. Somehow I survived, but the first generation Porsche turbo came pretty close to allowing my nearest and dearest to cash in my insurance policy. That was the four-wheeled equivalent of the Kawasaki. A really brutal bit of shit that was near uncontrollable at times. Most of the other insane stuff broke down before you could really push it to the limit. Probably for the best I suppose, but it wasn't a lot of fun at the time.

Rolling up at Stringfellows in a 356BB was an experience. Leaving there watching it winched onto a low-loader was also an experience, as was calling a taxi for the 'companion'. Still, replacing the Ferrari clutch probably cost me less in the long term...

Rab ..... were you wearing a jacket with the sleeves rolled up in the 356 ?

<a  href=05_zpsb3eeffd0.jpg' alt='05_zpsb3eeffd0.

I guess I have been lucky. I had a Bantam for a year in the 60s, and then didn't have another bike until the 90s, so I missed bendy Kwackers. Came back with a very sensible Z500, then a 1000 Goldwing, went to Italy on that, then old Guzzis, then started building bikes (a CB250 K4 racer which had parts from 32 different bikes in it; the clutch cable was made from 3 different bikes!), inherited a few grand, bought a new SV650S, did race schools and track days, highsided a Fireblade, went back to an SV (700, with race suspension and brakes), and that's where I am now. Recovering! Probably the last bike I'll ever own. A few more trackdays (Mugello hopefully, too) and if I survive I can bore the youngsters with how fast I was(n't).

Strangely, spent a few years as a driving instructor. And I hate bloody cars!

Started the bike today for the first time since October, so watch this space for some more lurid injury photos.

Hopefully not. :upgrade:

I had a 2 stroke phase in the late 80s, I bought x2 RD400s in boxes then built one good one, made it like a prod racer single seat etc. Anyway first test drive up the road I thought it was a bit gutless and had the throttle wide when the power band kicked in. I was coming to the brow of a hill followed by a right hander. I shat myself and sold the thing on the following week.I always buy Kawasaki and the fleet now consistes of a GPz750 A2 , Z650 B1 (had her 27 years now) and my main bike which is a ZRX1100 with a R1 front end big and comfy.

This thread's come over all misty eyed. What happened?

Old gits like me looking for someone to bore the arse off about their glorious past ...... :close:

This nice weather has even got my bike out of the garage ...... I'm been going to work on it all week ..... bit chilly n the morning ....

- - - Updated - - -

Ha Ha ..... all the old bikers coming out from under their stones ....

- - - Updated - - -

I had a 2 stroke phase in the late 80s, I bought x2 RD400s in boxes then built one good one, made it like a prod racer single seat etc. Anyway first test drive up the road I thought it was a bit gutless and had the throttle wide when the power band kicked in. I was coming to the brow of a hill followed by a right hander. I shat myself and sold the thing on the following week.I always buy Kawasaki and the fleet now consistes of a GPz750 A2 , Z650 B1 (had her 27 years now) and my main bike which is a ZRX1100 with a R1 front end big and comfy.

Just made a loom to wire in a set of GSXR stick coils for my mates GPZ900R ..... he says its made a big diff ....

I run dynas / piranha and a wesco 720cc kit on my Z650 and the GPz is standard 180 degree wasted spark but it is the air cooled motor. I have never really considered changing the coils but always open to options.

This thread's come over all misty eyed. What happened?

Blasted through the shite on the straights and took a turn for the better :)

I feel fortunate to be old enough to have seen the likes of those KH750's out on the roads but young enough not to have ridden them!

From the article:

He told Macclesfield Magistrates' Court: "I was in full control until I hit the fence. I drove into the fence to avoid a collision."

What he should have said was: 'I was riding like a complete cunt and then I crashed. It was all my own fault and I am lucky I didnt injure anyone else with my own selfish and cuntish behaviour'.