Why are Hi-Fi racks so expensive?

One piece of furniture has changed the landscape of Audio equipment support forever .... it cost £29 IIRC and if you go to Google Images and type in "Ikea Corras" you will see the range of systems it holds .....

stereo13cl.jpg

That's the thing Colin. Can you still buy them?

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Because they have 'Hifi' in the name. Licence to print money. The word magically doubles the cosy of everything. It is not as bad as the word 'Wedding' which instantly quadruples the cost of anythi

Yes Bob's stuff is very special - real craftsmanship in that stuff. I like hi-fi racks as well.

Mine is all on 2 stacks of 2nd hand Quadraspire. Will get something aesthetically nicer one day.

I use one of these, reasonable price and solid enough for my kit.

http://www.ikea.com/gb/en/catalog/products/20218442/

Yeah Ash are nice. Are they still going?

Because they have 'Hifi' in the name.

Licence to print money.

The word magically doubles the cosy of everything.

It is not as bad as the word 'Wedding' which instantly quadruples the cost of anything.

So what. Anything with the word baby in it makes the decimal point move to the right. :cafe:

The only problem is that some units aren't wide enough for the amps. The Audiolab Amps are wider than most units, and either don't fit at all, or are so tight it's not right.

However, I reckon the cost of living is starting to take it's toll, as Stand Unique went bust a while ago. My brother has one, but it's too much to pay £900 for a rack with a bit of glass and wood.

I bought a nice rack and shelves from Pound Stretcher for £29. Bought two and stacked them. Really wide, metal supports and ok thick glass on the top and enough to support most things.

http://www.poundstretcher.co.uk/glass-tv-stand-black.html

I use one of these, reasonable price and solid enough for my kit.

http://www.ikea.com/gb/en/catalog/products/20218442/

Funnily enough this is exactly the route I'm thinking of going down on consideration, wide rather than tall.

IKEA do about 4 different types, some have drawers as well, i've been thinking about it and it'd go rather well in my room, plenty of space for kit and I could put a turntable on top if I fancied getting one again, if I did there would still be plenty of room for a lamp/ornaments.

I much prefer the Ikea unit to the Stands Unique Soundtower that I had as it's more pleasant to the eye (WAF) and it's easier to clean, glass is a pain as it's a dust magnet. The Ikea is plenty wide enough for my preamp (Audiolab 8000Q), but may not have enough height for some amps

Sent from my Transformer TF101 using Tapatalk

Mrs Strat wishes for 2 stacks of Naim Fraim - on aesthetic grounds I presume!

'''''''HIFI''''''' racks are so expensive because consumers do not realise they can make their own best cheaply, or buy equally as effective 'bespoke' items for value-commercial prices.

As safely enjoying suitable inebriation, music-enjoyment can be practised for not over-heavily paying.

HASH####TAG.

And so many in ignorance despite information/subjective-proof are overhappy to subsidise the ripoff merchants in their dishonesty.

Supply and demand ..........

There are expensive items out there in all products ..... furniture, furnishings, kitchens etc etc.

It's just for most of us we only take any interest in expensive hifi related stuff and therefore assume it somehow only exists in this one arena.