smegger68

Weber Copper Cap Rectifier: 5U4GB

No worries Huw just glad it arrived - I hoped it hadn't disappeared into the Royal Mail's black hole :)

Got hold of Weber

Very friendly, they suggested a WS1 instead

One of the two WU4GBs I ordered also failed very quickly. Weber were great and replaced I without question, but I have not tried putting them back in the amps yet. I notice their web site now says that they're not for HiFi amps. Perhaps there have been other failures. Did they say why they recommended the WS1?

Got hold of Weber

Very friendly, they suggested a WS1 instead

This is what they said

'The WU4GB shouldn’t have failed. still, we recommend the WS1 so there is no sag and no resistor to heat up and potentially fail.'

Thanks

This is what they said

'The WU4GB shouldn’t have failed. still, we recommend the WS1 so there is no sag and no resistor to heat up and potentially fail.'

no idea now whether to try space hopper's WU4GB or the WS1 :(

leaving an old sovtek in for the mo' whilst i dither

I notice their web site now says that they're not for HiFi amps.

Interesting. I imagine they are just covering themselves here because there is no reason that I can think of why it should make a difference.

On 20/05/2015 at 07:44, smegger68 said:

Interesting. I imagine they are just covering themselves here because there is no reason that I can think of why it should make a difference.

Tube rectifiers typically provide a "slow start" allowing crucial seconds for the other tubes to warm-up, before providing full power.  This slow warm-up helps extend the life of all the other tubes in the amp.  In this regard, I agree with smegger68.  You would think this applies equally to any tube amp - hi-fi or guitar.

This thread is now more than five years old, but I'd still be keen to understand if any of the earlier posters - who experienced the night/day sonic improvements these solid state rectifiers delivered to their tubed hi-fi amp - have stuck with them over the long term.

Any long-term feedback?

Super Wammer
On 08/09/2020 at 22:18, SONDEKNZ said:

Tube rectifiers typically provide a "slow start" allowing crucial seconds for the other tubes to warm-up, before providing full power.  This slow warm-up helps extend the life of all the other tubes in the amp.  In this regard, I agree with smegger68.  You would think this applies equally to any tube amp - hi-fi or guitar.

This thread is now more than five years old, but I'd still be keen to understand if any of the earlier posters - who experienced the night/day sonic improvements these solid state rectifiers delivered to their tubed hi-fi amp - have stuck with them over the long term.

Any long-term feedback?

Yes I still use mine, and still prefer it over the Mullard rectifier it replaced. In the last week, funnily enough I changed over, back to the Mullard, and yes i still prefer the Weber.

• Like 1

On 08/09/2020 at 22:18, SONDEKNZ said:

Any long-term feedback?

I used mine without incident for the next 3 years until I did a big system change. The guy who bought the Ming from me never had any issues either, certainly none he felt he needed to report to me.

• Like 2

I’ve still got the WS1 in my spares box and have stayed with tubes, currently an RCA 5U4 which replaced a tung sol 5U4GT a few years ago.

I doubt I’ll ever use it tbh and I’ve no idea what happened to the WU4GB.

Quite fancy trying a posh 274 some time but no rush as happy with the sound and have another tungsol GT in my box too.

• Like 1

@greybeard @smegger68 @huwge

This (above) really great feedback and exactly what I wanted to know.  Appreciated.

On all accounts, if the circuit permits, it seems these ss rectifier options are [at very least] worth a try.  Particularly, given the hefty cost of NOS and New Production Rectifier tubes, these days.

With that in mind, I was thinking that WEBER (or someone) should offer a ss rectifier plug-in that ALSO allows the original [deceased] rectifier tube to plug-in above - just to keep with the tubed look.  Call me crazy... 

:sofa:

Super Wammer

@SONDEKNZ "you are crazy" :D

• Haha 1