Arcam

nsherin

1 hour ago, hifinutt said:

Most standmounts don't last long here , focal diablo , shl5plus and a few more . The Eaton legacy is 3 years and just sounds so right , it's easy to position,  very big sound and stunning imaging from the dual concentric . As mentioned not tried arcam with them but they just love sugden, class d and valves . Even better than the silbatone was a thrax 50 watt valve amp . Wow that was something!! 

But back in the real world a pair of class d monoblocks really make them sing . Highly recommended speaker

Yes, you have almost got me sold on the Eaton's. Sounds like they are an efficient and very capable allrounder.

I know you have experimented a lot! with your system and says a lot that they will work with so many types of amplification.

I do like standmounts, have had some nice ones over the years, including Epos es 14's, Celestion SL6's, Linn Kan's which I didn't get on with and my 23 year old Ruark Equinox, which probably are the best all round speaker I have owned.

They do like power and space though, get that right and spend your money on music.

• Like 1

I have to say the last amp I purchased was in the 90's, good ole fashion analogue with two big ole dual mono power supplies running the show.

To be honest I didn't know where to turn when it gave up on me for a while last year. It gives a type of sound that I like. The type that goes there it is ave that!

It does seem there is a lot out there nowadays. Class A, class G. class A,B, class D. I like the way some of it sounds, but it just don't sound the same as what I am used to.

Anyway got it fixed. My guy did a great job, had to source parts from Poland and complained it wasn't an easy fix. Anyway panic over, bank balance recovered . All is well:upgrade:

3 hours ago, hiesteem said:

Yes, you have almost got me sold on the Eaton's. Sounds like they are an efficient and very capable allrounder.

I know you have experimented a lot! with your system and says a lot that they will work with so many types of amplification.

I do like standmounts, have had some nice ones over the years, including Epos es 14's, Celestion SL6's, Linn Kan's which I didn't get on with and my 23 year old Ruark Equinox, which probably are the best all round speaker I have owned.

They do like power and space though, get that right and spend your money on music.

you are always welcome in brum to listen to them !! 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, hifinutt said:

you are always welcome in brum to listen to them !! 

Thanks Phil. Very kind. Will give you a shout when I venture north of the wilderness of sleepy Sussex :^

• Like 1

Nice one  , the tannoys I have came from east Sussex dealer ! 

• Like 1

On 03/06/2021 at 16:38, Nifkin said:

....which means choosing is less about cost than personal taste 

Yes and no. As you go up the price scale those subtleties become less subtle. It's more pertinent when two amps are in the same price bracket IME. 

11 hours ago, CnoEvil said:

I had a Class A amp, and from the moment it was turned on, it sucked over 400W  from the Mains - whether there was music playing loudly or not. It also heated up hot enough to fry an egg, whether playing music or not.

I have a Class G, which doesn't.

In your opinion what are the sonic benefits of Class G over a well sorted/good quality Class A/B or D?

Posted (edited)
17 hours ago, plasticpenguin said:

In your opinion what are the sonic benefits of Class G over a well sorted/good quality Class A/B or D?

That is a really hard question to answer.

I have heard Class A/B that I haven't liked and ones that I have really liked. Same with Class D......and into that mix, I would throw the synergy with the Speakers.

The A/B amps that I have liked, have usually had a higher bias in Class A.

For me, Class A has a vibrant and engaging, "rightness" of tone, without being analytical or etched....and for me, Arcam's implementation of Class G, gives a good flavour of that. Their A49 was the closest sounding to my AMS35i that I heard, that wasn't full Class A. 

I would take my AVR600 over many A/B designs that I've heard - such as MF M6i; Moon i7 and Coda CSi....so IMO the implementation of Class G to Arcam, has taken a brand that I always liked the sound of - and improved it, by keeping its musicality but adding a dose of vibrancy.....but it still sounds like an Arcam.

So where does that leave my reply?....The fact that I am now enjoying Class D with Harbeth, shows that getting hung up on topology could be focusing on the wrong thing. It's far more about the sound that you get when the amp is hooked up to the speakers and whether that "Tugs your Rug", as you'd say.

What I would say, is if you have liked Arcams in the past, it is a reasonably safe bet that you will like their Class G versions.

Edited by CnoEvil
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, CnoEvil said:

I have heard Class A/B that I haven't liked and ones that I have really liked. Same with Class D......and into that mix, I would throw the synergy with the Amp.

For me, Class A has a vibrant and engaging, "rightness" of tone, without being analytical or etched....and for me, Arcam's implementation of Class G, gives a good flavour of that. Their A49 was the closest sounding to my AMS35i that I heard, that wasn't full Class A. 

I would take my AVR600 over many A/B designs that I've heard - such as MF M6i; Moon i7 and Coda CSi....so IMO the implementation of Class G to Arcam has taken a brand that I always liked the sound of - and improved it, by keeping its musicality but adding a dose of vibrancy.....but it still sounds like an Arcam.

So where does that leave my reply?....The fact that I am now enjoying Class D with Harbeth, shows that getting hung up on topology could be focusing on the wrong thing. It's far more about the sound that you get when the amp is hooked up to the speakers and whether that "Tugs your Rug", as you'd say.

What I would say, is if you have liked Arcams in the past, it is a reasonably safe bet that you will like their Class G versions.

I wonder what their PA240 power amp sounds like, 225 watts per channel and 50 watts in class A. I didn't notice a pre amp on their website though. Thought that a bit strange.

4 minutes ago, hiesteem said:

I wonder what their PA240 power amp sounds like, 225 watts per channel and 50 watts in class A. I didn't notice a pre amp on their website though. Thought that a bit strange.

It is.

I have also found it strange that there was no replacement for the A49.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, plasticpenguin said:

depends entirely on the speaker imho . i can use a class d on horns and its far too dynamic and so amazing live and zingy that its just too much of a good thing . the same amp on another pair of speakers can be just superb 

• Like 1

On 05/06/2021 at 09:31, CnoEvil said:

I have heard Class A/B that I haven't liked and ones that I have really liked. Same with Class D......and into that mix, I would throw the synergy with the Speakers.

I would take my AVR600 over many A/B designs that I've heard - such as MF M6i; Moon i7 and Coda CSi....so IMO the implementation of Class G to Arcam, has taken a brand that I always liked the sound of - and improved it, by keeping its musicality but adding a dose of vibrancy.....but it still sounds like an Arcam.

Is, then, Class G exclusive to Arcam? If that's the case why haven't other brands adopted it, if it's that good?

17 hours ago, hifinutt said:

depends entirely on the speaker imho . i can use a class d on horns and its far too dynamic and so amazing live and zingy that its just too much of a good thing . the same amp on another pair of speakers can be just superb 

One reason why I take no notice of details like that. If it sounds good, it is good IMO.

Posted (edited)
35 minutes ago, plasticpenguin said:

Is, then, Class G exclusive to Arcam? If that's the case why haven't other brands adopted it, if it's that good?

Nope.

Creek uses it - and there are a couple of others, that I now can't remember.

As I understand it - it is expensive and tricky to get right.

Edit. Here's another one: https://www.whathifi.com/news/jbl-sa750-is-a-modern-retro-class-g-amplifier-with-streaming

Edited by CnoEvil