Super Wammer

I just had to doublecheck ownership history and courtesy of https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/A%26R_Cambridge_Ltd : "In November 2012, Arcam became a wholly owned subsidiary of JAM industries, based in Montreal, Canada. In July 2017, Arcam became a subsidiary of the American company Harman, itself a subsidiary of Samsung Electronics.[1]

The chunky FMJ 49's were introduced during that Canadian ownership and were made in the USA. I'm guessing they're rationalising both maufacturing facilities and product ranges, and my strong suspicion given lats news is that the FMJ range will be focused on AV. A crying shame if so.

The new HDA stuff has come in since the Harman purchase and is the equivalent of the old Diva stuff, entry level if you like; I'm not a fan of the styling at all.

Thankfully my Arcam FMJ's to date have proven just about bulletproof, including my two CD23T's, but if anything does die then the chances of its being replaced with a modern Arcam seem to be increasingly remote.

2 minutes ago, TheFlash said:

I'm not a fan of the styling at all.

No nor me , I had an Arcam FMJ D33 DAC , wonderful piece of kit in build and use , I'd have kept it but for going all in one digital with an Oppo 205 .

The A49's phono stage is it superior to the others in the range do you know , I notice you use a Fono 2 what's the Arcam stage like ?

Super Wammer
1 minute ago, Bazzer said:

No nor me , I had an Arcam FMJ D33 DAC , wonderful piece of kit in build and use , I'd have kept it but for going all in one digital with an Oppo 205 .

The A49's phono stage is it superior to the others in the range do you know , I notice you use a Fono 2 what's the Arcam stage like ?

I haven't actualy tried it! It was on my to-do list but slipped off, thanks for the reminder. I don't play a huge amount of vinyl here and am looking to rationalise my boxes so if there is no discernible difference then the Rega Fono II can go.

Same test applies to headphones and my MF valve jobbie vs the A49 socket; in fact I so rarely use my Grado's that I should probably move them on altogether... but I won't rush into that.

1 hour ago, TheFlash said:

I haven't actualy tried it!

Well hurry up I'm watching the reducing prices on the A49 and the phono stage could be a deal breaker .

• Haha 1

Super Wammer
5 minutes ago, Bazzer said:

Well hurry up I'm watching the reducing prices on the A49 and the phono stage could be a deal breaker .

All I'd be able to tell you is whether it was at least a match for the Fono II which is not a Real Man's Phono Stage within the hallowed walls of the Wam... my Jolida JD9 II is up north and I've never compared these two direct.

The phono stage can't be a deal breaker, surely. The A49 is a cracker, the amp which could have transformed Arcam's fortunes and taken the brand up-market if more people had heard it and if that's where they wanted to go. But apparently they don't.

I have no experience of your Sonneteer but if you have the chance of an A49 at an irresistable price, just buy it! Top tip there, I'm good at spending othe people's money.

10 minutes ago, TheFlash said:

I'm good at spending othe people's money.

Yes I'm quite good at that :D.

I bought the Sonneteer because of its phono stage ,after playing around with stand alone phono amps and DACs I got fed up with the whole game and wanted to concentrate on the music and reduce boxes and wanted an integrated with a very good phono stage . So why change the Sonneteer , I'd like a remote control and it's a good excuse to get something new which I haven't done for a while , winter is coming and the Hi-Fi season is upon us .

Edited by Bazzer
  • Like 1

Super Wammer
3 hours ago, Bazzer said:

Yes I'm quite good at that :D.

I bought the Sonneteer because of its phono stage ,after playing around with stand alone phono amps and DACs I got fed up with the whole game and wanted to concentrate on the music and reduce boxes and wanted an integrated with a very good phono stage . So why change the Sonneteer , I'd like a remote control and it's a good excuse to get something new which I haven't done for a while , winter is coming and the Hi-Fi season is upon us .

Let me know if you are planning to be anywhere near Leicestershire in the next week or two...

6 minutes ago, TheFlash said:

Let me know if you are planning to be anywhere near Leicestershire in the next week or two...

Cheers but no I won't unfortunately .

I'm a huge Arcam fan. I've only owned entry-level amps, but have heard many higher end examples.

People sometimes suggest they have a soft spot for something, and I still have that squidgy spot for the A65+. Still one of my favs in that price range: It's quirky sounding - it's fun, without the older trademark warmth many people allude to (I've never subscribed to that notion, especially with the DIVA range).

In the attic, I still have the Alpha 7R.

I only owned the Arcam Alpha 3, it was a nice amp. Would have quite liked to try Alpha 9 but never did hear one. Demo'ed the A19 which I did not like so my love affair with Arcam has finished. Never got on with their cd players.

It's all subjective. Never heard the earlier Alphas, but in direct comparison with the DIVA and FMJs they are slightly smoother than the latter models.

The Alpha 10 was a different beast altogether: Very powerful, open.... however, the looks didn't appeal to me.

Personally like their DIVA CDPs - the CD73T is a credible player, the flagship DIVA CD 192 was superb IMHO.

Even though I changed brands in 2010, Arcams still hold fond memories.

Edited by plasticpenguin

Super Wammer
7 hours ago, BeeRay said:

I only owned the Arcam Alpha 3, it was a nice amp. Would have quite liked to try Alpha 9 but never did hear one. Demo'ed the A19 which I did not like so my love affair with Arcam has finished. Never got on with their cd players.

I certainly wouldn't dismiss Arcam as a brand based on the A19... and i'm not sure what CDP's you didn't get on with but their top of the (Diva or FMJ) range have usually been very good indeed.

Super Wammer
7 hours ago, plasticpenguin said:

It's all subjective. Never heard the earlier Alphas, but in direct comparison with the DIVA and FMJs they are slightly smoother than the latter models.

The Alpha 10 was a different beast altogether: Very powerful, open.... however, the looks didn't appeal to me.

Personally like their DIVA CDPs - the CD73T is a credible player, the flagship DIVA CD 192 was superb IMHO.

Even though I changed brands in 2010, Arcams still hold fond memories.

The CD192 was perhaps briefly their Diva flagship but not their overall (inc FMJ) flagship at that time. I think it superseded the CD93. But the best Diva CD player by some margin was the CD92 which preceded them both - it had the same dcs RingDAC as the Alpha 9 and subsequently the FMJ CD23/CD23T (I stil have two of the latter). I went to a dealer "back in the day" and auditioned the new CD82, new CD93 and a pre-owned CD92. No contest, bought the CD92 and it only went when I got a CD23.

If you like or liked Arcam, do take any chance you can to hear one of the RingDAC players.

8 hours ago, plasticpenguin said:

The Alpha 10 was a decent amp, probably my favourite piece of Arcam kit I’ve owned. Funnily, it was also the piece of Arcam kit I had for the shortest amount of time!

2 hours ago, TheFlash said:

The CD192 was perhaps briefly their Diva flagship but not their overall (inc FMJ) flagship at that time. I think it superseded the CD93. But the best Diva CD player by some margin was the CD92 which preceded them both - it had the same dcs RingDAC as the Alpha 9 and subsequently the FMJ CD23/CD23T (I stil have two of the latter). I went to a dealer "back in the day" and auditioned the new CD82, new CD93 and a pre-owned CD92. No contest, bought the CD92 and it only went when I got a CD23.

If you like or liked Arcam, do take any chance you can to hear one of the RingDAC players.

The 192 was the DIVA flagship until they replaced it by the FMJ CD37 in circa 2008.

Having heard the 192 with my old Leema Pulse, the two just rocked. Wicked.