Croft

Ian

Let my 25R and 7 go a while ago and have them back now, the most wonderful set up I've owned (with the baby Harbeths). I've owned nothing that images like these. Just whacked some Gold Lion ECC83s in there and improved the already wonderful performance. Some kit just seems to made to go together.

I bought s/h Micro 25 and 7 a while ago for my "second" system but have been running them in my main system for a couple of weeks. It's a great combination and has made me seriously think about looking out for a 25R and 7R. The looks may be functional (at best!) but they sound great.

k

I've also got on my wishlist some Croft for the 'second system'. Could be separate pre-power or the phono integrated; either way, quite possibly second-hand could lead to early temptation. There's something about them. No remote, separate left-right volume controls. Couldn't cope with that in the living room, but by the bedside - no problem. Fanatics' stuff - gotta love it!

Enjoy, if you're already owners' club actual owners. Hope to join you sometime.

Having had the original Micro back in the 90's then moved to a Super Micro (black case) put through Quad 405 II and then Leak Stereo 20, I purchased a 25R/7 combo from the classifieds a couple of years ago. Glad I took the plunge you do feel that they let you hear what's being played through them rather than over emphasising the music in any way.

I have emailed Glenn and may upgrade the 7 to 7R status eventually.

Would be interested to hear what Harbeths sound like on the end of this combo since everyone say's they are a perfect match.

BR

Alan

I bought s/h Micro 25 and 7 a while ago for my "second" system but have been running them in my main system for a couple of weeks. It's a great combination and has made me seriously think about looking out for a 25R and 7R. The looks may be functional (at best!) but they sound great.

k

Definitely worth considering Bob though I have to say the money is best going to the 25R in my experience.

Would be interested to hear what Harbeths sound like on the end of this combo since everyone say's they are a perfect match.

BR

Alan

For me Alan without doubt the best combination I've owned for my room (4 x 4m).

I stared with the 25/7 combo myself and updgraded to the R versions for both. The combo definitely represents the best value for money at this end of the market that I have experienced with 'newer' kit. Moving from Naim and then a Conrad Johnson integrated I miss very little that either delivered and gained tons more - fullness, imaging, great mids. Really great stuff. I know a lot of people wouldnt buy Crofts for the rather 'basic' cases and finish, but I personally find it reassuring that the costs went into the innards rather than the outards! Mind you, though, I could not live with the dual volume control - drove me crazy - so got it modded to a single volume knob

Had most of the new croft range and still not 100% sure why I got rid of them....

Started with a croft 7 power as a stop gap while my art audio diavolo was getting fixed. So impressed with that little beast bought the micro 25R pre

003-1.jpg

With croft the beauty is on the inside :)

Than came the itch and upgraded to 25RS

001-2.jpg

Some insane point to point wiring

007-1.jpg

With a massive power supply

010-1.jpg

Then came the 7 monos to complete the system

016-1.jpg

Would have them back one day

Another proud Croft owner here, they really are superb amps. The only thing i would change is upgrading both to the R versions, oh and i had my pre built with a single volume control too. :^

I emailed Glenn recently about any upgrades he recommended for mine and his answer was to get the 7 made up to the 'R' version.

I have Ian's old 25R with a 7R which sounds lovely into my P3ESRs.

Recently one of the valves died in the PSU of the pre-amp. I replaced it with a spare JJ I had spare. Would there be anything to be gained from trying different valves in this position? What are people using here?

Also I know 5751s can be used as alternatives to the ECC83s in the line stage. There's a thread in AOS which mentions E80CC as another alternate valve. Are there any others that could be used here, and has anyone tried?

Finally, any suggestions for different phono valves?

Sorry for all the questions!

Simon.

I played around with tubes quite a bit when I had 25r, 25rs, RIAA and 7 power amps.

5751 works in linestage, different to ecc83 but I never was a fan. Bit hifi sounding if you know what I mean. Mullard was great and good for power too. Same as phonostage.

I currently have Gold Lion ECC83 in the linestage of my pre and in the power to wonderful effect. I'm considering a pair for the PSU too and will let you know how I get on.

Which version of the Gold Lion ECC83 are you using the standard or gold plated pin?

Which version of the Gold Lion ECC83 are you using the standard or gold plated pin?

Just the standard Alan.

• oldius changed the title to Croft