Croft

Ian

4 hours ago, Sotosound said:

Where are you located, by the way? There's nothing in your profile.

Profile updated.

My local Hifi shop is Wilkinsons Hifi in Nelson, Lancashire

• Like 1

Hi chaps 

Have messaged Glenn will let you know if I get a reply . Would be a shame to have other people touch his stuff. He did have gastroenteritis in May but said got over that. 

Mike 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Mike Milne said:

Hi chaps 

Have messaged Glenn will let you know if I get a reply . Would be a shame to have other people touch his stuff. He did have gastroenteritis in May but said got over that. 

Mike 

Thank you any help would be appreciated .

Andrew

• 2 weeks later...

Glenn is fine.

I asked him how he was, and he told me that he's been spending more time at the cricket but that all amps will be serviced and upgraded, though probably after the cricket season has ended in September.

Did I just hear a Wam-wide sigh of relief?

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Yep that makes sense and kind of what Adrian from Audioflair hinted at. Bloody cricket , hate the game and now even more so. 

Yep that makes sense and kind of what Adrian from Audioflair hinted at. Bloody cricket , hate the game and now even more so. 

18 hours ago, Sotosound said:

Glenn is fine.

I asked him how he was, and he told me that he's been spending more time at the cricket but that all amps will be serviced and upgraded, though probably after the cricket season has ended in September.

Did I just hear a Wam-wide sigh of relief?

Thank you for getting back with this have waited over two years to get my OTL 3 in my system and another few months to ensure that it is all working as good as it can be will be frustrating but bearable if i know that it will happen.

• 5 weeks later...

I am just new into Croft gear, living in Holland. It is a 6 weeks or so that I wanted to upgrade my phono stage. I used a pretty good Rotel pre-amp with phono stage inside. Croft came on my mind but seemed hard to evaluate and even hard to buy. So I managed to get a second hand RIAA from a guy in Berlin. I was so blown away by the new sound of my Thorens TD160 that it soon came onto my mind to replace the whole Rotel set with Croft. I was lucky that Audiomaat in Tilburg had a new 25R line preamp for sale. That in combination with my very old Belles 350A poweramp driving Totem Forests was a hughe step forward. Since a week I got my hands on two second hand 7 mono's loaded with JJ ECC99's. Great stuff indeed. The mono's and forests are a very nice combination. It all sounds with more air, more focus and well defined bass. More important, musically awesome! I noticed that this forum is useful for a starter like me... all kind of initial questions, interesting stuff and topics coming around, so I thought to make this introduction post to let you know Croft has a new fan.

Because my Thorens is in revision for at least another four weeks I am lucky to have my digital system: I use a Roon server on a iMac, Qobuz and Metrum streamer and Metrum Octave DAC. While the 25R is pretty high in gain. Roon has an excellent way to compensate for that by using headroom control and dsp volume. I tested it quiet intensively, but I don't hear any sound degradation by using dsp volume. So my digital stuff and  Croft are also a great match for me.

• Like 2

For me, the essence of Croft is music, music, music.

There is detail as well, but it is musical detail and not detail from a forensic laboratory.

So.... congratulations on your choices, congratulations on your English, and welcome to the WAM.

• Like 3

Would definitely agree re the comment about Croft and musicality. I have been a fan since the beige and brown ( biscuit tin) Super Micro days and now have upgraded Series 25 and Series 7s. Lust after a Series 3OTL maybe or 25RS's . I would certainly consider other equipment if I could ever find any at the same price that was anywhere near as good. One really strong point about the brand is that " fancy and upgrade" then courier or take your amps back to Glenn in Scarborough, hard if you live in in NL though - after end of the cricket season off course - a bit of quintessential English charm here. He will find ways to improve the sound dependent upon your budget and there is no need for new boxes. I have a hum issue since  buying  my Beauhorn B2  speakers on quiet passages so will get Glenn to address this  via by a trip up North. 

• Like 2

Today I changed two things in my set-up. Due to my room acoustics the 7 mono's were overdoing around 50hz... I love bass, I am a bass player, but things can be too much. So I changed the ECC92 in the mono's for the ECC99's which came with them when I bought them. More clarity and more consistent in frequency range from high to low. Still too much bass though. The Totem forests are on a bamboo shelf to lift them up a bit. I took that away and placed the speakers flat on my (hard) floor. I shove them little by little... Now I hear the real power of Croft. It is so beautiful... sorry.. but I have to express that here.. Calibrating a new set is always a matter of time and experiment. But I am getting there!

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1