Audionote

19 hours ago, BettisDad said:

So, while my new speakers are breaking in and while I'm saving for an M3 and Empress monos, I'm thinking of buying a cartridge for my Rega p3. Would the Iq1 be a worthwhile upgrade over the Elyse 2?

Yes, the AN should sound fuller and more dynamic than the Rega. The other main contender, for me, is the Hana EH at that price. 

If you are likely to upgrade the stylus over time then the AN seems sensible. If you will fit and forget for a few years and then swap the whole cartridge; then the Hana is lovely and worth some contemplation (it's all one piece as it's an MC cart, but has MM level output). It sounds a bit more subtle than the AN. 

G

Cheers for that. I'll have to have think! 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

So, I tried some Van Damme black 2:4 configuration as at £64 terminated it was definitely worth a punt. Holey moley, I'm happy with my purchase! The cables are a little dark sounding but are quite musical and delicate in the right places, I'm assuming the sound will change slightly with burn in so I'll see how it goes. I will eventually try some Lx speaker cable but for the short I'm happy. 

Another plus is that I'll be able to sell my Tel Q Black 2 cables and actually make money which can go towards the new Cart 💪

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

Audionote Arm3 V2 to be ordered 06/01/20 -ave it!:cool:

Edited by Tarzan
  • Like 1

I have been very fortunate to have been able to acquire these lovely ANJ’s through a friend of a friend. The deal was done a month ago at Spiritland, the Kings Cross bar which houses the Living Voice Air Partner/Atelier du Triode music system. These J’s are absolutely stunning, quite the most beautifully finished AN speakers I’ve seen or owned, and I’ve owned a few pairs! The finish is Olive, High Gloss. I’m not the greatest photographer - here are a few pics. 

A292B353-DDE2-437C-B355-14C7DEE8C252.jpeg

0217AFB1-A815-4D05-8D71-CB63EBB2AAE3.jpeg

D5394DAB-D3E3-4A97-BA2C-DCCC550135EC.jpeg

3E4E1694-04F5-455A-88B2-0E603691B80F.jpeg

Edited by marko
  • Like 8
  • Upvote 1

They're gorgeous Mark.

• Like 1

One of the best finishes I’ve seen

• Like 1

Nurse!:testy1: Nurse!:testy1:

Well done mate they look insane.:notworthy:

Thanks for all the comments guys, just nice to share the AN kit we own. I have to say - they sound as good as they look!! Be good to have pics on here of other wammer’s AN systems. 

Edited by marko

35 minutes ago, marko said:

Thanks for all the comments guys, just nice to share the AN kit we own. I have to say - they sound as good as they look!!

Yum!

My, far more humble, AX-Twos are due to be re-installed in the living room today after their Christmas swap with my new (old) walnut JPW Sonatas. (To do with the Sonatas fitting on top of book cabinets and size of Christmas tree etc. Complicated.)

Looking forward to it.

(Wish I could afford even a level zero AN system. Ho hum.)

5 hours ago, marko said:

Thanks for all the comments guys, just nice to share the AN kit we own. I have to say - they sound as good as they look!! Be good to have pics on here of other wammer’s AN systems. 

Wow they look nice, I know you have had a few pairs of AN speakers over the years and these probably suit your room dimensions more than the AN-E's. I just sent a pair of spare AN-J's to Audio Note to be rewired etc so looking forward to having them in a second system.

Thanks Jag, hope you are well. What cable upgrade are you going for with your ANJ’s? 
J’s certainly suit a smaller room imho. Think E’s would have been overkill. I accompanied a friend to an AN dealer on Friday who wants to buy a system from scratch. Having not seen a pair of E’s for some time, I realised how big they are. WAF aside, I think I prefer J’s over E’s, both sonically and aesthetically. 

At the end of the day, and considering all the varying levels available on The AN ladder, though this is a very simple and relatively lowly AN System, it sounds superb. Added are slightly fuzzy pics of CD2.1 x/11 and P1SE Signature. I have owned far more expensive AN systems over 30+ years, but my enjoyment is not diminished in any way with the above Level 2 system. Ah, happy listening!

E480AF93-0BA1-469F-893A-FC94DB3A01CF.jpeg

61E68A51-3DA4-4C59-AC23-F53653945026.jpeg

Edited by marko

Hi Marko, I am well and just getting used to the idea of 2020 now plus I just started playing  vinyl this morning after a reasonable absence. The AN-J were the copper JD version which are okay intheir own right and nice walnut finish cabinets etc but I have some spare AN-SPe and AN-SPx here so just sending them the AN-SPe for now as it's more than good enough for their level.

I felt a bit brave and thought about sending in my Sogon cable to rewire them but that would be overkill unless I went for the hemp silver voice coiled HE units etc but they are not going to be my main speakers anyway and my son has his eyes on them as well as a valve amp. So I am sending a pair of AN-K/Sp speakers too to be checked over and SPe rewire etc and my son might actually end up with these instead.

As you say, sometimes it's not the level of the components and expensive in my experience does not always mean better sound but it's the overall system integration that matters and in the past I was happy listening to a simple basic system but the music itself was the focus without worrying about the level of the components etc. However there is a caveat in that when you get used to listening to certain tones, inflections in music at a certain level then an awareness of experience evolves and so does the appreciation of good musical reproduction abilities of well designed system components and can be hard to go back to a more basic level. Anyway Steely Dan is playing in the room now :)

Yes Jag, at any given price point, it’s about system synergy. I’ve tried using Silver cables with Copper wired components for example and it doesn’t really work. One of the best improvements for me was changing from a standard to a C-Core transformer based amp. Chalk and cheese. Steely Dan, great music. 
I might have to blag a visit to see you Jag! 

• oldius changed the title to Audionote