https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/324073053675
Something just doesnt look right here. 
Because from the front they look like they've been knocked together in a shed?
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Bourney said:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/324073053675

Something just doesnt look right here. 

Apart from the wooden boxes (no cabinets) and the drive units...no problem. May drop Peter Q a quick note, it will cheer him up.

None of the drive units look right Steve.

• Like 1

Looks like a K tweeter with an old 21cm four screw bass/mid as opposed to the new 22cm six screw unit, but yes, something not right about them for sure.

Well he was amused and sends his regards.

The speakers are 20 years old and their history is errr....unknown.

The new Cobra amp will be at the Show.

Edited by George 47

Could it not be a ANUK kit version?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

On 30/01/2020 at 11:54, Tarzan said:

Dac0.1X no slouch either.:rockin:

Agreed, just breaking mine in at the moment! 

• Like 2

7 hours ago, BettisDad said:

Agreed, just breaking mine in at the moment! 

:^:pop:

On ‎14‎/‎02‎/‎2020 at 22:49, rabski said:

None of the drive units look right Steve.

The bass unit certainly does not look right or to be more specific the dust cap in the bass unit.:geek:

Edited by Tarzan
Sober

My modest AN set up.

W6oeDvAu_o.jpg

7SLDlHEQ_o.jpg

Old AN Ks are a bit tired cabinet wise but sound bloody brilliant. Sat on heavy target R stands 

• Like 7

Super Wammer

Very nice AN SET up you have there Steve! 

Posted (edited)
On 04/04/2020 at 18:33, Bourney said:

My modest AN set up.

W6oeDvAu_o.jpg

wot, no phono? :cs:

Edited by trane

Super Wammer
Posted (edited)

Around 2009, I subscribed to Stereophile Magazine. During 2013, I read a review of an amplifier, written by the late Art Dudley. The way in which Art described the musical presentation of this EL34 integrated amplifier so grabbed my attention, that I decided to embark on a quest to own one. 

So, in 2013, I began this quest, trawling the internet, forums and dealers for a 2nd hand amplifier. Absolutely nothing appeared, but I remained resolute in my belief that one would eventually turn up. If I’ve learnt anything in life, and I’ve been reminded of it time and time again, it’s imperative to have belief! 

For over 30 years, we have been very fortunate to have owned many and various pieces of Audio Note UK equipment, so we were never without beautiful music. We like ANUK gear very much and have a soft spot for their speakers, especially ANJ’s. It was a further privilege to own a few Shindo amplifiers as well, my favourite piece being a Shindo Cortese F2a power amp. In a different turn of events, I sold the Cortese, the most regrettable thing in HiFi terms I have ever done! Art also wrote a 2020 review  of a later designed Cortese F2a in Stereophile: Listening #206. 

Alongside looking for this special EL34 integrated amplifier, I also decided to look for a second hand Cortese. With both items being pretty rare, I figured I’d be very happy owning either amplifier, should I ever stumble across them. 

More relentless searching ensued with frustratingly no results! Then, on April 1st  this year, and after 7 years of searching, I came across a 2nd hand EL34 at a U.K. dealer. I was so excited, I rushed upstairs to inform my wife, who was working in the office. “Let’s think about it for a day or two” she said. ‘Mmm, in putting this on hold even for even a couple of days, we might loose our opportunity’, I thought to myself. 

The next day, April 2nd at 4.00 pm (funny how the exact time sticks in my mind) I was quietly perusing the forums etc. Unbelievably, I came across a second EL34, two in two days!! What are the chances of that! I again rushed up to the office - “There’s another one at a better price, we have to go for it”!! Well, it was the quickest conversations I have ever had with my wife about buying anything hifi. We reserved it that evening, paid for it the next morning and it arrived the following Tuesday. 

The amplifier is an Audio Note Japan KSL KONDO Overture, and now resides in our listening room, delivering quite magical music! The standard Overture uses EH EL34’s. This amplifier has Psvane Ph EL34’s. With the factory information written on the outer box, I think this may well have been the very first Overture to have been imported into The UK. Actually, I spoke to Kevin Scott at Definitive Audio yesterday and he thinks this is the case. 

This story began with Art Dudley’s review in November 2013. If you google Stereophile #131, you will find his review of The Overture. With the passing of Art Dudley, the world of music and reviewing has taken a significant blow. My thoughts go out to his family and friends. Art sadly passed away on April 14th. When I opened the Beautifully presented wallet which accompanies the amplifier, the ‘Certificate of Provenance’ for this Overture, signed by Katsura Hirokawa, is dated April 14th. 

B0DBB6FF-8CAD-45FC-AD14-C4CBAF05F1CE.jpeg

11E828FE-E64A-4C82-B873-C6C080FE43F1.jpeg

EC7EA713-F2D9-49FB-855B-18528C91E45C.jpeg

Edited by marko
Typo
  • Like 3