Audionote

It was a further privilege to own a few Shindo amplifiers as well, my favourite piece being a Shindo Cortese F2a power amp. In a different turn of events, I sold the Cortese, the most regrettable thing in HiFi terms I have ever done! 

had the privelige of hearing this ... utterly entrancing ..... 

I have had an absolutely huge amount of amps now on my impulse taus , very very hard to find one with that zing but also that smooth sense of presence . lavardin was too smooth , sugden was too fast and although incredible it was relentless , arcam has good but there must be way better , the silbatone hybrid was absolutely stunning  [ 109 70 watts ] with amazing smoothness and incredible vocals but i don`t have 10K !!! 

class D was so LIVE , wow, .... but a teeny bit hard on old recordings so thats out 

so i am following this line of thought on the el34 with interest 

7 hours ago, marko said:

Around 2009, I subscribed to Stereophile Magazine. During 2013, I read a review of an amplifier, written by the late Art Dudley. The way Art described the musical presentation of this EL34 integrated amplifier so grabbed my attention, that I decided to embark on a quest to own one. 

So, in 2013, I began this quest, trawling the internet, forums and dealers for a 2nd hand amplifier. Absolutely nothing appeared, but I remained resolute in my belief that one would eventually turn up. If I’ve learnt anything in life, and I’ve been reminded of it time and time again, it’s imperative to have belief! 

For over 30 years, we have been very fortunate to have owned many and various pieces of Audio Note UK equipment, so we were never without beautiful music. We like ANUK gear very much and have a soft spot for their speakers, especially ANJ’s. It was a further privilege to own a few Shindo amplifiers as well, my favourite piece being a Shindo Cortese F2a power amp. In a different turn of events, I sold the Cortese, the most regrettable thing in HiFi terms I have ever done! 

Alongside looking for this special EL34 integrated amplifier, I also decided to look for a second hand Cortese. With both items being pretty rare, I figured I’d be very happy owning either amplifier, should I ever stumble across them. 

More relentless searching ensued with frustratingly no results! Then, on April 1st this year, and after 7 years of searching, I came across a 2nd hand EL34 at a U.K. dealer. I was so excited, I rushed upstairs to inform my wife, who was working in the office. “Let’s think about it for a day or two” she said. ‘Mmm, in putting this on hold even for even a couple of days, we might loose our opportunity’, I thought to myself. 

The next day, April 2nd at 4.00 pm (funny how the exact time sticks in my mind) I was quietly perusing the forums etc. Unbelievably, I came across a second EL34, two in two days!! What are the chances of that! I again rushed up to the office - “There’s another one at a better price, we have to go for it”!! Well, it was the quickest conversations I have ever had with my wife about buying anything hifi. We reserved it that evening, payed for it the next morning and it arrived the following Tuesday. 

This story began in November 2013. The amplifier is an Audio Note Japan KSL KONDO Overture, and now resides in our listening room, delivering quite magical music! The standard Overture uses EH EL34’s. This amplifier has Psvane Ph EL34’s. With the factory information written on the outer box, I think this may well have been the very first Overture to have been imported into The UK.

If you google Stereophile #131, you will find Art’s review of The Overture. With the passing of Art Dudley, the world of music and reviewing has taken a significant blow. My thoughts go out to his family and friends. Art sadly passed away on April 14th. When I opened the wallet, the Certificate of completion for this particular amplifier, signed by Katsura Hirokawa, is dated April 14th. 

B0DBB6FF-8CAD-45FC-AD14-C4CBAF05F1CE.jpeg

11E828FE-E64A-4C82-B873-C6C080FE43F1.jpeg

EC7EA713-F2D9-49FB-855B-18528C91E45C.jpeg

So that was the upgrade you mentioned in your for sale ad. :). Great stuff.

• Like 1

Your system looks stunning Marko.:notworthy:

On 20/04/2020 at 11:38, marko said:

Around 2009, I subscribed to Stereophile Magazine. During 2013, I read a review of an amplifier, written by the late Art Dudley. The way in which Art described the musical presentation of this EL34 integrated amplifier so grabbed my attention, that I decided to embark on a quest to own one. 

So, in 2013, I began this quest, trawling the internet, forums and dealers for a 2nd hand amplifier. Absolutely nothing appeared, but I remained resolute in my belief that one would eventually turn up. If I’ve learnt anything in life, and I’ve been reminded of it time and time again, it’s imperative to have belief! 

For over 30 years, we have been very fortunate to have owned many and various pieces of Audio Note UK equipment, so we were never without beautiful music. We like ANUK gear very much and have a soft spot for their speakers, especially ANJ’s. It was a further privilege to own a few Shindo amplifiers as well, my favourite piece being a Shindo Cortese F2a power amp. In a different turn of events, I sold the Cortese, the most regrettable thing in HiFi terms I have ever done! Art also wrote a 2020 review  of a later designed Cortese F2a in Stereophile: Listening #206. 

Alongside looking for this special EL34 integrated amplifier, I also decided to look for a second hand Cortese. With both items being pretty rare, I figured I’d be very happy owning either amplifier, should I ever stumble across them. 

More relentless searching ensued with frustratingly no results! Then, on April 1st this year, and after 7 years of searching, I came across a 2nd hand EL34 at a U.K. dealer. I was so excited, I rushed upstairs to inform my wife, who was working in the office. “Let’s think about it for a day or two” she said. ‘Mmm, in putting this on hold even for even a couple of days, we might loose our opportunity’, I thought to myself. 

The next day, April 2nd at 4.00 pm (funny how the exact time sticks in my mind) I was quietly perusing the forums etc. Unbelievably, I came across a second EL34, two in two days!! What are the chances of that! I again rushed up to the office - “There’s another one at a better price, we have to go for it”!! Well, it was the quickest conversations I have ever had with my wife about buying anything hifi. We reserved it that evening, paid for it the next morning and it arrived the following Tuesday. 

This story began with Art Dudley’s review in November 2013. The amplifier is an Audio Note Japan KSL KONDO Overture, and now resides in our listening room, delivering quite magical music! The standard Overture uses EH EL34’s. This amplifier has Psvane Ph EL34’s. With the factory information written on the outer box, I think this may well have been the very first Overture to have been imported into The UK.

If you google Stereophile #131, you will find Art’s review of The Overture. With the passing of Art Dudley, the world of music and reviewing has taken a significant blow. My thoughts go out to his family and friends. Art sadly passed away on April 14th. When I opened the Beautifully presented wallet which accompanies the amplifier, the ‘Certificate of Provenance’ for this Overture, signed by KONDO CEO Katsura Hirokawa, is dated April 14th. 

B0DBB6FF-8CAD-45FC-AD14-C4CBAF05F1CE.jpeg

11E828FE-E64A-4C82-B873-C6C080FE43F1.jpeg

EC7EA713-F2D9-49FB-855B-18528C91E45C.jpeg

Wow, that really is a thing of beauty. Congratulations! 

Thanks Andy and Phil. I’m vaguely tempted to write a review a little farther down the line, though not too sure I’m eloquent enough to do it justice! There are a few great reviews out there as it is. 

Your system looks stunning Marko.:notworthy:

I have to agree. Great looking room too! Looks lovely to kick back in there!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4 hours ago, marko said:

Thanks Andy and Phil. I’m vaguely tempted to write a review a little farther down the line, though not too sure I’m eloquent enough to do it justice! There are a few great reviews out there as it is. 

I'd certainly like to read about it! 

@marko What is that under the CD Player?:)

On 20/04/2020 at 11:47, Mikeandvan said:

Does anyone have any tips for shipping AN Js  without their original boxes?

You can buy original boxes. 

Failing that put them in a bin-bag, or wrap in cling film (especially if they are gloss) before packing. Invest in a couple of sheets of polystyrene. The main difficulties will be protecting the corners, binding posts and drive units. I'd usually have a double layer of polystyrene, one with cutouts for the features and one outside that. Then wrap in cardboard and put on a pallet to ship. 

Good luck.

Prof Brian Cox on A. Marr atm - and there is what looks like to me an AN (AN-E) speaker in the background. :rockin:

Edited by CnoEvil

3 hours ago, CnoEvil said:

Prof Brian Cox on A. Marr atm - and there is what looks like to me an AN (AN-E) speaker in the background. :rockin:

He’s tweeted that they are AN-J , and since removed the tweet in case anyone complained about him advertising.

1 hour ago, lower bullens said:

He’s tweeted that they are AN-J , and since removed the tweet in case anyone complained about him advertising.

Thx for the clarification. The man has taste.

Do you know what the rest of his system was?

• Like 1

• oldius changed the title to Audionote