Jump to content

Audionote


Recommended Posts

To my ears it sounds great- it is the first dac l have purchased in about 20 odd years, l bought it without listening to it ( or any other dacs for that matter), but like l said very happy with the sound, very musical and refined, only one downside and that is the lack of inputs.:geek:

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 3 weeks later...

Having resolved to experiment knocking up some wooden stands for my AN-Es in the place of my mass loaded AN numbers, I had a bit of an attack of CBA (and have a lot of other projects on the go already...) - so I ended up buying a set of these:

https://sxpro.co.uk/isoacoustics-isopuck-8pack  

my reasoning is roughly as follows - if the basis of using lower mass/open frame stands with speakers designed to 'incorporate' cabinet resonances is to lessen the influence of the structure that the cabinet is coupled to, then logically, decoupling the cabinets from the stands altogether should prove even more effective in allowing one to just hear the speaker itself to the greatest possible degree - this rationale would also mean that the Gaia series of screw in supports (in addition to being far more expensive) would be much less suited to this particular application.

To say that results so far are overwhelmingly positive would certainly not be overstating things - on the off chance that this may be of interest to fellow AN speaker owners, I shall report back in a bit more detail once I've had a chance to listen in more depth, and tried a bit of an A/B with the blu tack that AN recommend.

MH 

  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Hi All,
A question please. I’m thinking of buying a pair of ANE’s, though concerned they may be ‘overkill’ in our 3.2m x 5.5m room, speakers firing down the length of the room. 
We used both E’s and J’s to great effect in our previous house, the room measuring 4.5m x 8m. 
Anyone here use ANE’s in a smaller room? Experiences and comparisons would be really helpful. Thanks. M.

Edited by marko
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

26 minutes ago, marko said:

Hi All,
A question please. I’m thinking of buying a pair of ANE’s, though concerned they may be ‘overkill’ in our 3.2m x 5.5m room, speakers firing down the length of the room. 
We used both E’s and J’s to great effect in our previous house, the room measuring 4.5m x 8m. 
Anyone here use ANE’s in a smaller room? Experiences and comparisons would be really helpful. Thanks. M.

I had E’s in a room 17ft x 11ft (apologies for imperial measurements :)) they were fine with the Mastersound 300B amp I had but too much with my Oto. So I bought a pair of J’s which are ideal. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

When you say ‘too much’ Jon, are you referring to too much bass with The E’s, or overall ‘scale’. Are your J’s firing down the 11’ or 17’ wall? 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 hours ago, marko said:

When you say ‘too much’ Jon, are you referring to too much bass with The E’s, or overall ‘scale’. Are your J’s firing down the 11’ or 17’ wall? 

The “overall scale” , the Js are firing down the 17’ wall. Those figures are potentially misleading though as it includes into a bay window, I sit roughly in a 8’ 10” triangle. Sent you a pic.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

20 hours ago, MotherSky said:

Having resolved to experiment knocking up some wooden stands for my AN-Es in the place of my mass loaded AN numbers, I had a bit of an attack of CBA (and have a lot of other projects on the go already...) - so I ended up buying a set of these:

https://sxpro.co.uk/isoacoustics-isopuck-8pack  

my reasoning is roughly as follows - if the basis of using lower mass/open frame stands with speakers designed to 'incorporate' cabinet resonances is to lessen the influence of the structure that the cabinet is coupled to, then logically, decoupling the cabinets from the stands altogether should prove even more effective in allowing one to just hear the speaker itself to the greatest possible degree - this rationale would also mean that the Gaia series of screw in supports (in addition to being far more expensive) would be much less suited to this particular application.

To say that results so far are overwhelmingly positive would certainly not be overstating things - on the off chance that this may be of interest to fellow AN speaker owners, I shall report back in a bit more detail once I've had a chance to listen in more depth, and tried a bit of an A/B with the blu tack that AN recommend.

MH 

Was looking at these, do they 'stick' to the speaker and stand like Blu Tac for example?:geek:

Link to comment
Share on other sites

18 minutes ago, Tarzan said:

Was looking at these, do they 'stick' to the speaker and stand like Blu Tac for example?:geek:

Yes - in effect they have a sort of suction cups on upper and lower faces - they adhere completely to the cabs

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...

Just a brief update regarding the Isoacoustics Iso pucks - I started thinking along these lines after coming across a thread on Steve Hoffman ( here: https://forums.stevehoffman.tv/threads/new-audio-note-uk-an-e-sec-silver-signature-speakers-on-their-way-from-the-uk.864434/page-4#post-21977098 ), not because I have to overcome any suspended floor issues etc, and whilst I can't comment on the efficacy of low mass/wooden or open frame stands for improving SQ, I can say that using these pucks in the place of the recommended blu tack between the cabinets and the  AN branded stands (in my system and to my ears) provides a substantial improvement in terms of focus, imaging and coherence in the lower registers - when I say 'substantial', this is of course relative - frankly, they still sound bloody good just popped straight on the stands, but there is simply no downside that I can perceive in using the pucks, and there are clearly audible advantages that go way beyond what might be expected for such a comparatively modest outlay - I would strongly recommend trying these - they are very easy to sell on at a good price if they don't work out for you - I'm not suggesting that they are a panacea for any placement/room issues, but if you have a well set up pair of AN-Es, I think you will find these to be a very pleasing investment - MH

p.s. I apologise for my dreadful punctuation - I hope it hasn't rendered my ramblings entirely incomprehensible

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 12/06/2021 at 21:48, marko said:

Hi All,
A question please. I’m thinking of buying a pair of ANE’s, though concerned they may be ‘overkill’ in our 3.2m x 5.5m room, speakers firing down the length of the room. 
We used both E’s and J’s to great effect in our previous house, the room measuring 4.5m x 8m. 
Anyone here use ANE’s in a smaller room? Experiences and comparisons would be really helpful. Thanks. M.

 A home demo will tell if you can get a home demo, l went with K's as l tried J's in my 12' x 11 ' room they sounded good apart from the bass which boomed unless they were moved into the room and frankly looked like a couple of wardrobes in the middle of the room....good luck.:)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Yes, of course, a good idea Andy! Just wondering if there are any wammer ANE owners within a stones throw of Harrogate who’d lend me a pair for a day or two or to evaluate for just a couple of hours? Always worth asking the question. M.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 3 weeks later...

Current little set up. 

[URL=https://imgbox.com/1XHjxcAM][IMG]https://images2.imgbox.com/6a/4b/1XHjxcAM_o.jpg[/IMG][/URL]

[URL=https://imgbox.com/5OS7srs6][IMG]https://images2.imgbox.com/5d/d1/5OS7srs6_o.jpg[/IMG][/URL]

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...