Audionote

On 19/09/2021 at 19:41, BettisDad said:

Upgraded to a Oto phono Sig from standard and what an upgrade, I’m blown away! I swapped over my fancy Tfk and Mullard valves and I can’t stop listening to records! What a difference transformers, fancy caps and resistors can make, I really can’t understand how people argue that that they don’t? 

Phil

Given that this is the AN owners thread, I think you're preaching to the choir on the latter point :D - I'd love to hear the Oto Sig in my system one day - very few amps could tempt me to change my current setup, but that does seem to tick just about every box... Did you pick it up second hand? It'd be nice to see a pic if you have the technology - MH

• Like 1

19 hours ago, MotherSky said:

Given that this is the AN owners thread, I think you're preaching to the choir on the latter point :D - I'd love to hear the Oto Sig in my system one day - very few amps could tempt me to change my current setup, but that does seem to tick just about every box... Did you pick it up second hand? It'd be nice to see a pic if you have the technology - MH

Yeah I picked it up s/h, perfect condition and I know it’s relatively short history so was a safe bet. I’ve heard it said loads of times that the Sig is one of the sweet spots in the lineup but I’d never heard one, I’ve heard the Meishu Tonmeister, M3 and monos and a Jinro which are all superb but above my budget for the next couple of years so took a chance and I’m so glad I did. 
I’ll take a couple of internal pics when I get a chance. 

• Like 2

AN Signature amps do add a sprinkle of magic over the standard variants, especially with the C-Core transformers!  Does your OTO have a Black or Ali fascia Phil and yes, be nice to see some pics.

Edited by marko
  • Like 1

On 24/09/2021 at 09:12, marko said:

Just wondering; are there any sonic differences between standard ANE’s and their HE variants, or is it purely efficiency? Thanks. M.

Given that people report distinct differences in sound between the HE cone materials, I'd be very surprised if there were no clearly audible differences between standard and silver voice coil iterations - I would recommend the AN thread on the Steve Hoffman forums for a broader view of model variations/people's experiences of the same. As an aside: I am absolutely delighted with the hemp Spe HEs and would not hesitate to recommend them - endgame speakers as far as I'm concerned :cool:

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

Thanks MotherSky,
Imho, there is an audible difference between Copper and Silver wired. 
I’ve asked around and received interesting and differing views. So, much to consider going forward. 

Edited by marko

• 3 weeks later...
49 minutes ago, marko said:

Just wondering; does anyone on here own a pair of Audio Note Big E’s?

I have - I don’t  think they would be of interest to you though - your standards are pretty high 😍

https://pinkfishmedia.net/forum/threads/audio-note-an-e-d-speakers-with-matching-filled-stands.254960/#post-4353509

Edited by enrae8
Addition

I am not sure if they are a commercial product yet. I have seen and heard them (I think) but I am not sure they have been released as Peter Q (quite rightly) won't release anything unless it is 100%. Fussy socks....B|

I’ve lost contact with a guy (he bought some Quest Silver Signature monos from me) who owned a pair - this was some years ago now. He sent me some (long gone) photos and they looked fabulous in the lovely Olive veneer. Just wondered if there was anyone else out there.

22 hours ago, marko said:

Just wondering; does anyone on here own a pair of Audio Note Big E’s?

No, but seen a pair on a forum and be damned cannot remember which one- stupid getting old.🤪

I had a brief factory tour with PQ pre Covid and saw a pair of 'big Es' they were working on, very much prototype back then.

Maybe contact Peter direct to find out where they're at.

Not ginormous but too big for me so didn't pay attention, drooling over TT3 at the time.

Also as someone has said E SPE HE are my 'end game' speaker anyway.

Quite some years back I had my Meishu Silver serviced by AN and first UHB transformers then a year or 2 later tantalum resistors, black gate caps etc. fitted to sort of 'future proof' it.

The 'tweaking' made an enormous difference and if I had to stick my neck out I'd say transformers were the real game changers.