Jump to content

Audionote


Recommended Posts

@BettisDad l found going from the Arm 1v2 to Arm3v2 was in sound quality terms very worthwhile....you get a wider more panoramic view into the music, tonally the 3 is brighter than the 1, but with the 3 you get more of everything if that makes sense.

Downside are the those tiny and l mean tiny wires- they are indeed terrifying.

@Rabski thanks for the advice, the cartridge tag has come away from cable cleanly- l will get my local AN dealer to come out to solder it and give the whole T/T a look over.🤓

  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

28 minutes ago, Tarzan said:

@BettisDad l found going from the Arm 1v2 to Arm3v2 was in sound quality terms very worthwhile....you get a wider more panoramic view into the music, tonally the 3 is brighter than the 1, but with the 3 you get more of everything if that makes sense.

Downside are the those tiny and l mean tiny wires- they are indeed terrifying.

@Rabski thanks for the advice, the cartridge tag has come away from cable cleanly- l will get my local AN dealer to come out to solder it and give the whole T/T a look over.🤓

Ah, the advice I was both hoping for and dreading 😀.

With regards to your wire/tag issues, I’m sure Dom at North West Analogue can sort that.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

@BettisDad l found going from the Arm 1v2 to Arm3v2 was in sound quality terms very worthwhile....you get a wider more panoramic view into the music, tonally the 3 is brighter than the 1, but with the 3 you get more of everything if that makes sense.

Downside are the those tiny and l mean tiny wires- they are indeed terrifying.

@Rabski thanks for the advice, the cartridge tag has come away from cable cleanly- l will get my local AN dealer to come out to solder it and give the whole T/T a look over.🤓

Thanks but  it is now in hand.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Super Wammer

Just got this, much better than i expected, only trouble is now i want more

dac2x1.jpg

  • Like 3
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...
Just got this, much better than i expected, only trouble is now i want more
dac2x1.thumb.jpg.0509db4bd8cbe7c0cad41a4c6da6c6b1.jpg

Very nice! If you are looking for more, by all accounts the DAC 2.1x Signature is the sweet spot in the range. Just putting it out there…
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

@BettisDad The Arm 1v2 is now back on the Gyro ( got a load of OT coming -kerr ching! ) so have put the Arm3 repair on hold for a while and there is a downgrade in sound quality - however the Arm 1 remains very musical.....🙂

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 1 month later...

I've had a DAC2.1x for a month or so now and really enjoy it. 

Can it be upgraded to the signature spec(or better?)

Also, has anyone heard the ANK kits? I have started looking at the (ready built) 5.1.  Still an expensive DAC, but if the performance is close to the AN 4.1 then it could be good value for money.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Moderator
Moderator
15 minutes ago, RICHARDIIII said:

I've had a DAC2.1x for a month or so now and really enjoy it. 

Can it be upgraded to the signature spec(or better?)

Also, has anyone heard the ANK kits? I have started looking at the (ready built) 5.1.  Still an expensive DAC, but if the performance is close to the AN 4.1 then it could be good value for money.

2.1X to Signature is possible, but probably not worth it. The cost will hurt. Assuming specs haven't changed, over the X, the Sig has tantalum resistors (in signal path), copper foil caps and valve rectified power supply. The caps and power supply will make the big differences, but it would need a new power supply board and the caps are costly. Probably in financial terms better to buy a higher spec model and sell yours.

The AN kits are quite uncommon these days. When they were still available from ANUK they were pretty much the same as the 'commercial' built ones, but no idea now. Probably very close, but half the fun is building them anyway 😁

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 04/11/2021 at 19:29, Tarzan said:

@BettisDad l found going from the Arm 1v2 to Arm3v2 was in sound quality terms very worthwhile....you get a wider more panoramic view into the music, tonally the 3 is brighter than the 1, but with the 3 you get more of everything if that makes sense.

Downside are the those tiny and l mean tiny wires- they are indeed terrifying.

@Rabski thanks for the advice, the cartridge tag has come away from cable cleanly- l will get my local AN dealer to come out to solder it and give the whole T/T a look over.🤓

A went to a local Linn dealer to replace a cartridge tag on my Audio Note Arm 2/2 and he refused as too difficult to do as the cable is tiny. So I sent the arm to Audio Note who turned the job around really quickly and my impression was that it even may have been as cheap or cheaper than dealers sometimes charge. 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Super Wammer
14 minutes ago, DomT said:

A went to a local Linn dealer to replace a cartridge tag on my Audio Note Arm 2/2 and he refused as too difficult to do as the cable is tiny. So I sent the arm to Audio Note who turned the job around really quickly and my impression was that it even may have been as cheap or cheaper than dealers sometimes charge. 

This is all good Dom but Audio Note need to be transparent about their prices on their gear. You have no reference point to compare so they have no RRP advertised. That’s naughty imo.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, radiant red said:

This is all good Dom but Audio Note need to be transparent about their prices on their gear. You have no reference point to compare so they have no RRP advertised. That’s naughty imo.

They did the work for me and so I know exactly what it cost. They quote a price before doing the work. Not sure what your problem is exactly as we are talking about a repair. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Super Wammer
Just now, DomT said:

They did the work for me and so I know exactly what it cost. They quote a price before doing the work. Not sure what your problem is exactly as we are talking about a repair. 

I don’t have a problem Dom because I refuse to buy from a company that has no pricing of equipment available on line. They could charge whatever they wanted. Regarding the repair, that’s great after sales support.

I mentioned what I did on here because… err, it’s the Audionote thread 👍🏻

Link to comment
Share on other sites

27 minutes ago, radiant red said:

I don’t have a problem Dom because I refuse to buy from a company that has no pricing of equipment available on line. They could charge whatever they wanted. Regarding the repair, that’s great after sales support.

I mentioned what I did on here because… err, it’s the Audionote thread 👍🏻

You can always ask an Audio Note dealer for a price and they will tell you. I think I have only paid list price once in the last 15 years and so any published prices are not of value to me. I buy from dealers I trust and so again there is no problem.

Sugden, Harbeth and Proac don’t appear to have prices on their website either. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Super Wammer
1 minute ago, DomT said:

You can always ask an Audio Note dealer for a price and they will tell you. I think I have only paid list price once in the last 15 years and so any published prices are not of value to me. I buy from dealers I trust and so again there is no problem.

Sugden, Harbeth and Proac don’t appear to have prices on their website either. 

No Audio Note dealer has prices on their websites CWUW.

Sugden, Harbeth and Proac have prices advertised on all the dealers sites which was what I was trying to explain to you. 
 

Can you not see what I’m saying Dom. 
A point of reference is std and the dealers you trust as you say could be picking any old price they want. How can you know you have had a good price when there is no common price point advertised? 
 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, radiant red said:

No Audio Note dealer has prices on their websites CWUW.

Sugden, Harbeth and Proac have prices advertised on all the dealers sites which was what I was trying to explain to you. 
 

Can you not see what I’m saying Dom. 
A point of reference is std and the dealers you trust as you say could be picking any old price they want. How can you know you have had a good price when there is no common price point advertised? 
 

Yes it’s true, no prices are advertised anywhere online. Prices should be displayed.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...