Kef

nomismo

@dizcotec The Ref 3s are terrific speakers. Congratulations. I very (very) nearly bought some in that finish, but got side tracked (seduced) by some big Harbeths that fell into my lap. 

11 minutes ago, CnoEvil said:

@dizcotec The Ref 3s are terrific speakers. Congratulations. I very (very) nearly bought some in that finish, but got side tracked (seduced) by some big Harbeths that fell into my lap. 

These are the Ref 5s. Was looking at the Ref 1s only, believe it or not, but couldn't pass up this deal. And they are stunning to look at in this finish.

Just now, dizcotec said:

These are the Ref 5s. Was looking at the Ref 1s only, believe it or not, but couldn't pass up this deal. And they are stunning to look at in this finish.

(Grateful to my wife for allowing me to put something slightly bigger in the living room... 😄

4 minutes ago, dizcotec said:

Sorry, so they are - I had Ref 3s on the brain.

I have heard the Blades, but not the Ref 5s - and given the scale of the 3s, the 5s must be quite something.

Enjoy.

10 minutes ago, CnoEvil said:

Kef LS50 Wireless 2 have had a considerable price increase, from £2250 to £2499.

Yikes. Do you think it's because demand is outstripping supply because of the semiconductor shortage? Seems like that is a common theme across industries at the moment. Good times to sell a car too, just not easy to find a new one...

11 minutes ago, CnoEvil said:

Kef LS50 Wireless 2 have had a considerable price increase, from £2250 to £2499.

Blimey that is a price hike😲

14 minutes ago, dizcotec said:

Yikes. Do you think it's because demand is outstripping supply because of the semiconductor shortage? Seems like that is a common theme across industries at the moment. Good times to sell a car too, just not easy to find a new one...

It could be a number of reasons, including high demand. Costs of transport are spiralling upwards - especially containers from China. Logistic problems as a result of Covid and increasing energy costs are feeding into the problem.

Expect to see further increases across most things...and not just HiFi related.

• 2 weeks later...

For someone with much enthusiasm but not much experience, are there any things I should particularly know or pay attention to if thinking about acquiring a pair of vintage KEF Reference speakers?

For example; 104AB, 103.2, Ref Model 1 or 2, Model 1.2, 2.2, etc

Any help  much appreciated. I am keen to learn (even at my age) and if needed, have them repaired, recapped, etc but I’d rather not fall down on something so well known that I should have known about it before taking the plunge.

I’ve tried to read as much as I can, but the more I read, the more rabbit holes I disappear down.

If any relevance, they’ll be in a room 4.3m * 3.8m. powered by a 50w amp although I am not averse to upgrading the amp if/when I find my ‘forever’ speakers (some hope, I know!).

Thanks

I’ve owned Concertos (if you can find a good pair now I’d consider them too) 104AB…. nice bass extension from the passive 132 driver and 104/2 ….any pair of these will prob need new tweeters and the infamous ‘doughnuts’ on the linked bass drivers …..but a great speaker.

12 hours ago, MF 1000 said:

I’ve owned Concertos (if you can find a good pair now I’d consider them too) 104AB…. nice bass extension from the passive 132 driver and 104/2 ….any pair of these will prob need new tweeters and the infamous ‘doughnuts’ on the linked bass drivers …..but a great speaker.

Thanks for this.

The ‘doughnuts’ are inside the speaker cabinets - correct?

Apologies if a dumb question.

Yes …loads of info on how to replace them in you tube vids and not expensive or too fiddly - they just seal the rod that interlinked the bass drivers to the driver cone.

• Like 1