I love mine in both it's dresses. Bought from Mr Wennen, it came with a Hadcock 228 and also the 242 arm tube which gives very different results. Some will say bass light, which might be the case up against heavier arms, and some don't like unipoivot. But I find it a magical combination in every other dept. It's really not a problem if the rest of the system does bass well.

The deck itself, a 401 in my case, just sounds right. I've yet to hear something more musical. I've got an itch to put my Super Gold in the Hadcock and give that a spin, since it's rumoured to be an excellent combination.

At present it is wearing a OA rb250 with a Technoweight and Dynavector 17d2. It sounds damn good to me.

The deck that made me want one so badly though, was one of your babies. The one you put together for Chris (SMEagol) that was at Brian's last summer bake. It had a Micro sieki arm from memory (?), and the very same 17d2 cart that I'm now using.

I remember walking upstairs to the bedroom system and being met by that deck, playing into a Cary SE integrated, and pumping out some serious dynamics and rhythm through whatever Tannoys they were. It was a system I could easily have taken home.

It remains my very favourite deck and it just shouts at you to try different arm/cart combo's. After I do the 242/Gold combo, It's a AT1005II and SPU. Then it's going to be a case of trying lots of carts on a Terminator air bearing tonearm. I've got a Terminator on my Interspace, and it's a fabulous thing. I know Stewart used a linear on the Garrard before I bought it too.

Happy days ahead when I find a bit of time.:^

garrardap76.jpg

My first TT, Garrard AP76 with Goldring G800E, not the greatest TT Garrard ever made but it gave me bragging rights over my mates who had SP25 Mk3 :)

A while back, I used to have a grease-bearing 301 in a Bastin plinth ... but I didn't like the smell ... so I sold it to a mate.

More recently, I got one of these ....

PetratHiFi002_zps8c01daea.jpg

... which seems to work quite well ... and doesn't smell funny either.

That is double nice.:^

ok you asked for it

P1000118.jpg

Here's an old thing

9473502385_936d09536a_o.jpgDSC_2756 by levs the diver, on Flickr

I love the smell :D

Just dug out an old 301 owners manual from 57. The 4 rubber mounting washers between the cast aluminium top plate and the motor board were provided to make sure the aluminium top plate wasn't distorted due to flatness inconsistencies in the motor board (plinth). Nothing to do with isolation then, which makes sence as the fixing bolts effectively couple the two anyway.

Here's my 401 in action....

20140803_123840_zpsiefqtkev.jpg

The arms are a Jelco 750L fitted with Shuggie's uprated collar support & two spacers with an Ortofon Classic GME being fed through a pair of Altec 4722 transformers.

The arm at the back is a Music Master SD-12 (basically a Japanese copy of a Gray arm) fitted with a GE VRII Mono cartridge which plays back original Mono LP's beautifully.

Lovely analogue disc players if suitably installed-maintained blah-di-blah. My best Garrard was a 86 whatever, which cost me my 1st beautiful marriage.

A super maintainer is what probably is most important if you cannot do the best analogue yourself.

I have:

Garrard 301 in a hefty Bird's Eye Maple plinth with an Alphason HR-100S and Ortofon Kontrapunkt b

Another Garrard 301 with Decca FFSS arm and head in a big wooden cabinet along with Quad IIs, Quad 22 and Quad AM2.

A Garrard 401 not in any plinth at the moment

A Garrard GTD4 shop display turntable!