It Cost How Much!?!

Audio Innovations

14 minutes ago, Mikeandvan said:

Yep me too, girlfriend doesn't mind. I listen to music all the time when home until about 10pm or 1am when I'm drunk, hic. I'm gonna get this amp checked by Audio Note or someone then look into different valves, me first valve amp too, they sure are purty…..I just love how the sound is 'inside' those tubes! Current sound is a bit hard in the upper treble, so looking into a new cdp or whatever cures it, possibly a loan of a pair of AN Js…...

When everything has settled down, you and your girlfriend are more than welcome to join us at a Mini Bake Off. Other Wammers will be present. I've got some spare Mullards that you might want to try. They're ECC83 types so only useful for the centre and two Signal Valves to the right.😎👍 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Mikeandvan said:

I might have a loan of some nice looking J's when/if this virus calms down.

Have a try with those, they can take being close to a wall to fill out the bass and should match the AI 500 well.  I have heard some relatively recently and they are prominent in the treble but you may like the detail, liveliness that brings.  Try E's as well if you get a chance.

• Like 1

Good evening all! I've got a question: 

I've been listening to Portishead's It could be so sweet. At "Realistic" volume levels. This is the first time I have been able to do this. It was lovely. The bass line was so deep and controlled! 🥰🥰🥰

How can a Valve Amplifier with 17 WPC do this, yet my previous Tandberg 3002 and 3003 pre and power amplifiers not be able to achieve this without distortion when they had 150 WPC? 🧐

Audrey never ceases to amaze me with the sheer level of musicality! 🔌💡🎼🎼🎼

• Like 1

Only just got around to getting my TT set up and the ANks seem to be even worse with that than with cd. So I put my Chario Syntars back in and heh ho, much better. Just a much more rounded sound, admittedly I didn't manage to get the ANks right in a corner yet as that is supposed to accentuate bass, but the overall sound is so far away from what I want I see little point in trying. I do like the up front live sound of the Ks, but they're just too hard/bright/unbalanced. The Syntars are quite nice, but would like some of what the Ks did in there too. Of course I'm now listening to the Syntars with the AI S500 valve integrated as i've now sold my Croft/Quad 909 combo, and that has made them more enjoyable.

Posted (edited)

just a nod - that is, the AN-Ks use now pretty ol' ViFa tweeters with ferrofluid the most of which must have gone dry over the 30+ years of their existence. thence, it's not the K's, I'm afraid, that cause the trouble you experience. there's Wilmslow over there who could remove the old stuff and refill the gap with fresh ferrofluid - or you can buy better-sounding and fitting alternatives and got Wilmslow (or any other competent firm) to replace the tweeters (and, if needed, modify the crossovers) for you. and then, I'm pretty sure, you'll just love the Ks, they're a truly mjuuuzikal speaker :^

Edited by trane
  • Like 1

On 10/04/2020 at 14:35, trane said:

just a nod - that is, the AN-Ks use now pretty ol' ViFa tweeters with ferrofluid the most of which must have gone dry over the 30+ years of their existence. thence, it's not the K's, I'm afraid, that cause the trouble you experience. there's Wilmslow over there who could remove the old stuff and refill the gap with fresh ferrofluid - or you can buy better-sounding and fitting alternatives and got Wilmslow (or any other competent firm) to replace the tweeters (and, if needed, modify the crossovers) for you. and then, I'm pretty sure, you'll just love the Ks, they're a truly mjuuuzikal speaker :^

My Ks were a very recent model, in a lovely yew wood. I found the overall sound they made to be quite thin, anyways, I am swapping them for some slightly older Js, see how I get on with those!

Posted (edited)

Any recommendations for someone experienced of servicing these old S500s? I've asked Audionote and they can do it, but can't give me  a price until they've seen it, so with no idea whether the bill will be £200 or £1000 I'm reluctant to use them. The amp distorts often, I think input selectors either need a clean or replacing, or whatever, but this thing needs attention. It was apparently serviced - at a cost of £60! - somewhere in Somerset, but they obviously didn't do much at all. Amp was also sold without telling me the volume knob was completely loose, and then claiming ignorance! Oh never noticed that, yeh right! Looks like the volume pot has been changed as the stalk is metal and all the other ones are plastic, hence why is it loose. I'd like new metal knobs on this, smarten it up a bit, as I think I like the amp, when it doesn't distort.

49810154298_e35c2c081c_c.jpgIMG_20200423_110925050_HDR by

Edited by Mikeandvan

6 hours ago, Mikeandvan said:

Any recommendations for someone experienced of servicing these old S500s? I've asked Audionote and they can do it, but can't give me  a price until they've seen it, so with no idea whether the bill will be £200 or £1000 I'm reluctant to use them. The amp distorts often, I think input selectors either need a clean or replacing, or whatever, but this thing needs attention. It was apparently serviced - at a cost of £60! - somewhere in Somerset, but they obviously didn't do much at all. Amp was also sold without telling me the volume knob was completely loose, and then claiming ignorance! Oh never noticed that, yeh right! Looks like the volume pot has been changed as the stalk is metal and all the other ones are plastic, hence why is it loose. I'd like new metal knobs on this, smarten it up a bit, as I think I like the amp, when it doesn't distort.

David (Juancho) of this parish knows these Amplifiers well. Why not drop him a PM! 👍 👍 👍 😎 😎 😎 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Monitor Gold Ten said:

David (Juancho) of this parish knows these Amplifiers well. Why not drop him a PM! 👍 👍 👍 😎 😎 😎 

Thanks, I 've been in touch with him, he seems to be the go to guy for these amps. Is it worth getting phono stage modded? I quite like my Graham slee, so might leave that.

1 hour ago, Mikeandvan said:

Thanks, I 've been in touch with him, he seems to be the go to guy for these amps. Is it worth getting phono stage modded? I quite like my Graham slee, so might leave that.

Yep, David is seeing quite a few of these now and he worked on mine too. Anything from a light service to the valve equivalent of a nitros oxide boost kit is on offer !

• Like 1