bmtell

Cycling for fat bastards

Recommended Posts

So. Bored as ever tonight I've done some calculations which I think are correct.

All of the below assumes a body weight of 85kg and a bike weight of 20kg or, of course zero if walking

Walking at a normal pace for a middle aged person of average build and height uses up 120 watts of power. This gives an average walking speed, according to all the on line papers I can find of 6.05 mph.This sounds about right, when I think of drivers in towns travelling at speeds of between three and five times of that. Maybe I'm wrong.

If that's correct though, the current speed limit for an Electric bicycle is only two and a half times that. Using the same energy (120 watts) as it takes to walk, an Ebike will be forced to average slightly less than 14.5 mph. It's not allowed to go quicker remember, due to government legislation, without your having to put in quite a bit of effort.

In order to do that, one thing that is forgotten is the concentration required . The E Bike rider has to concentrate, not safely on the road like a walker or driver can, but regularly on his or her speedometer in order to make sure they don't go over the limit and have to do all the work themselves (not something you want to do on the way to and from work.).

Now putting in that same effort as walking and assisted but without that government restriction, a man or a woman would produce an average speed of just over 20mph. I wouldn't be surprised if that was close to the average speed of a car in a built up 30mph area during busy times anyway. One safety advantage of the E Bike is that it has a 50% shorter stopping distance, in case of someone crossing the road for instance.

Other advantages of a derestricted E Bike in town would be to get you to work in 30% of the walking time, with 30% of the total effort of walking, whilst still promoting health. At the same time they are contributing zero exhaust fumes and pollution to the atmosphere as does every vehicle stuck in traffic with people getting to and from the office.

So any Political Party claiming to be "green" should really start by looking at this - the current regulations are far from green. Even taxis could be replaced by taking two people on the back - like a human powered tuk tuk with rain covers and fit younger riders.

We have the slowest limits of any nation on Earth. The rest of the EU has now moved over to Speed E Bikes. These need insurance and a plate but do 30mph through having motors that are 40% more powerful. Why is this nation so backward?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Bumpety bump. 

I've spent an hour and shined and generally loved on my baby, I mean, "Kylie". My inanimate love, my bike and what a beauty she is.

Then smashed out an hour of cycling in the hot sun. Wow! In all the shit that's going on around us, that was glorious. Damn dunno why I've not got on it for so long... 

Cycling at the minute is lovely. Hot, next to zero traffic and totally relaxing.

Kylie is a Cannondale SuperSix Evo, full carbon and heavily upgraded road/racer bike. Inanimate love ❤

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
On 02/11/2019 at 23:22, Tune said:

So. Bored as ever tonight I've done some calculations which I think are correct.

All of the below assumes a body weight of 85kg and a bike weight of 20kg or, of course zero if walking

Walking at a normal pace for a middle aged person of average build and height uses up 120 watts of power. This gives an average walking speed, according to all the on line papers I can find of 6.05 mph.This sounds about right, when I think of drivers in towns travelling at speeds of between three and five times of that. Maybe I'm wrong.

If that's correct though, the current speed limit for an Electric bicycle is only two and a half times that. Using the same energy (120 watts) as it takes to walk, an Ebike will be forced to average slightly less than 14.5 mph. It's not allowed to go quicker remember, due to government legislation, without your having to put in quite a bit of effort.

In order to do that, one thing that is forgotten is the concentration required . The E Bike rider has to concentrate, not safely on the road like a walker or driver can, but regularly on his or her speedometer in order to make sure they don't go over the limit and have to do all the work themselves (not something you want to do on the way to and from work.).

Now putting in that same effort as walking and assisted but without that government restriction, a man or a woman would produce an average speed of just over 20mph. I wouldn't be surprised if that was close to the average speed of a car in a built up 30mph area during busy times anyway. One safety advantage of the E Bike is that it has a 50% shorter stopping distance, in case of someone crossing the road for instance.

Other advantages of a derestricted E Bike in town would be to get you to work in 30% of the walking time, with 30% of the total effort of walking, whilst still promoting health. At the same time they are contributing zero exhaust fumes and pollution to the atmosphere as does every vehicle stuck in traffic with people getting to and from the office.

So any Political Party claiming to be "green" should really start by looking at this - the current regulations are far from green. Even taxis could be replaced by taking two people on the back - like a human powered tuk tuk with rain covers and fit younger riders.

We have the slowest limits of any nation on Earth. The rest of the EU has now moved over to Speed E Bikes. These need insurance and a plate but do 30mph through having motors that are 40% more powerful. Why is this nation so backward?

Hi Tune,

You're prob right but I thought average walking speed was 3mph?? I've not read this recently, but always had this idea. 

Re the electric bikes. 15mph is not much, on a run that's slower than I'd do. Difference is 0-top whack straight off the batt, but generally an electric bike would be slower (for me).

Wondered how you found the electric Cannondale? Was it you that bought that a while ago?

Edited by Amormusic
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Super Wammer
27 minutes ago, Amormusic said:

Bumpety bump. 

I've spent an hour and shined and generally loved on my baby, I mean, "Kylie". My inanimate love, my bike and what a beauty she is.

Then smashed out an hour of cycling in the hot sun. Wow! In all the shit that's going on around us, that was glorious. Damn dunno why I've not got on it for so long... 

Cycling at the minute is lovely. Hot, next to zero traffic and totally relaxing.

Kylie is a Cannondale SuperSix Evo, full carbon and heavily upgraded road/racer bike. Inanimate love ❤

I’m being furloughed from next week and I’ve only used my bike once this year pre lockdown. Just one question I assume no law going for a bike ride? No limit of miles?

Regards

Matt

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Beyond you said:

I’m being furloughed from next week and I’ve only used my bike once this year pre lockdown. Just one question I assume no law going for a bike ride? No limit of miles?

Regards

Matt

As far as I understand. We are all allowed out for 1 hour of exercise. That's as far as you can do a loop I guess.

Take maintenance kit (which I'm sure you would anyway) just in case you get a puncture. I'm on punctureproofs with the oil stuff in inners, but always carry some kit for any hiccups.

Have fun dude. That was awesome. 

Ps its gonna be about 24c tomorrow. Enjoy. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
4 minutes ago, Amormusic said:

As far as I understand. We are all allowed out for 1 hour of exercise. That's as far as you can do a loop I guess.

Take maintenance kit (which I'm sure you would anyway) just in case you get a puncture. I'm on punctureproofs with the oil stuff in inners, but always carry some kit for any hiccups.

Have fun dude. That was awesome. 

Ps its gonna be about 24c tomorrow. Enjoy. 

I think they have amended it now and there does not seem to be a limit anymore. I did 2 hours the other day. I need to get some new tyres and inner tubes as the front has a puncture, it stays up for about 12 hours so at the moment it is ok.

Here is something "

The government advice stipulates that members of the public can leave the house for “one form of exercise a day”.

It puts no time limit on the span of your exercise, but states that those undertaking outdoor exercise must “minimise the time you are out of your home”."

Edited by BeeRay
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, BeeRay said:

I think they have amended it now and there does not seem to be a limit anymore. I did 2 hours the other day. I need to get some new tyres and inner tubes as the front has a puncture, it stays up for about 12 hours so at the moment it is ok.

Bike shops are allowed to stay open. Although the ones round me I've passed on my shopping trips for me and mine all seem closed.

You should invest in some decent punctureproof tyres, it's honestly worth it for the piece of mind.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Super Wammer

Thanks 😊 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Super Wammer

31EEE434-8CB1-492B-BFEF-4E2300FAFB9B.thumb.jpeg.1aca210a9cd606ce3d1ad96c9ece221f.jpeg

These I recommend 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thank you. I'd totally misunderstood that. 

We've been talking family walks too, but always capped to an hour. I'd love to and will now go for a bit longer of a walk/cycle. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Beyond you said:

31EEE434-8CB1-492B-BFEF-4E2300FAFB9B.thumb.jpeg.1aca210a9cd606ce3d1ad96c9ece221f.jpeg

These I recommend 

Yep. Ditto. I'm running on these too

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Super Wammer
1 minute ago, Amormusic said:

Ps nice. What Cube?

https://www.cube.eu/en/2019/bikes/road/road-cyclocross/agree/cube-agree-c62-race-disc-carbonnwhite-2019/
It’s a shame I’m a fat bastard 😆

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.