bmtell

Cycling for fat bastards

Super Wammer

Yesterday morning completed 26 miles on my bike and enjoyed every minute of it :cool:

• Upvote 1

Super Wammer
On 23/04/2020 at 20:58, Tune said:

Just talking bikes, why is it that garages are deemed essential and are open but bike shops/mechanics are closed?

Can they open if they applied for government funding being self employed? However I do agree bikes are normally drop off for service/maintenance spare parts can be supplied one customer at a time in their workshops no reason why they cannot open.

On 23/04/2020 at 20:58, Tune said:

Just talking bikes, why is it that garages are deemed essential and are open but bike shops/mechanics are closed?

From what I understand they are allowed to be open. However, certainly around me are not.

I presume this is because the shops feel footfall will be low and/or they dont want to touch something that has been heavily in contact with a potentially infected person.

• Like 1

Has anyone had any experience with electric bikes? Being totally unfit and getting on in years any assistance is a bonus. Not looking for mega expensive bikes but around £500/£600 would be good.

Wan't something that looks like a real bike :P

Super Wammer
1 hour ago, mr.me said:

Has anyone had any experience with electric bikes? Being totally unfit and getting on in years any assistance is a bonus. Not looking for mega expensive bikes but around £500/£600 would be good.

Wan't something that looks like a real bike :P

I haven't however even secondhand might be out of your price range. One springs to mind is the G-tech range, but most manufactures are making electric bikes and using the Bosch electric motors.

https://www.gtech.co.uk/ebikes.html

Good luck and enjoy cycling:^

+1 for the Gatorskins. I have them on my bikes and find them good. People do complain about a lack of dynamics and reduced soundstage.....oops sorry wrong forum....that they can be a bit dead and lacking feel compared to other tyres like the Continental 4 Seasons or 4000+ but I'm not sure that I feel any difference.

What I strongly recommend though ( and it doesn't cost anything) is to keep your tyres well inflated, irrespective of the brand. This helps avoid the pinch punctures which is the biggest cause.

I'd say at least 100 psi on a road bike. 

My other piece of wisdom that I'd like to pass on is don't buy a road bike unless you really really intend only ever going on the road ( so no cycle tracks, tow paths, gravel etc).

If you want something that's almost as fast but more rugged, and in some ways better suited to the pot holes roads, buy a cyclo-cross bike.

You'll thank me later......

Strange choice of song but good soundtrack to that video!

Did a 25 mile socially distanced cycle with my brother today...

Did a huge uphill stage, then went through a bluebell forest, minus the bluebells currently. Stopped for a sandwich and a socially distanced beer (we took a couple cans with us), then a lovely downhill section and about 9 miles flat to finish. 

Very little traffic, a freshly serviced bike and my Bro's just bought himself a Cannondale too. 

Superb... massively relaxing and invigorating... But I am now aching quite a bit!