i_should_coco

Further Descent into Madness

I put my hifi through its own mains supply a few years ago. I also stuck a copper rod in the garden, been read that a garden earth may be totally different from mains earth, by quite a few volts, which can have a rather negative effect on your system and sound. So I removed the garden copper pipe earth from my system on the basis it might cause shrinkage in my lowthers which already suffer from little weenie syndrome....

I put my hifi through its own mains supply a few years ago. I also stuck a copper rod in the garden, been read that a garden earth may be totally different from mains earth, by quite a few volts, which can have a rather negative effect on your system and sound. So I removed the garden copper pipe earth from my system on the basis it might cause shrinkage in my lowthers which already suffer from little weenie syndrome....

Not sure it has had any effect at all, let alone negative. :D

Connecting to a separate stake in the garden is very dangerous!

This remains true whether your hi-fi components remain connected to the Protective Earth system or not.

The connection to Mother Earth is only there for safety during unusual events (thunderstorms are the best example).

Removing the Protective Earth connection defeats the circuit breaker tripping if there is a short circuit in your hi-fi setup.

In any case the connection to Mother Earth has nothing to do with day-to-day AC power quality. Leakage, noise and interference currents have little interest in Mother Earth.

Super Dealer
Connecting to a separate stake in the garden is very dangerous!

This remains true whether your hi-fi components remain connected to the Protective Earth system or not.

The connection to Mother Earth is only there for safety during unusual events (thunderstorms are the best example).

Removing the Protective Earth connection defeats the circuit breaker tripping if there is a short circuit in your hi-fi setup.

In any case the connection to Mother Earth has nothing to do with day-to-day AC power quality. Leakage, noise and interference currents have little interest in Mother Earth.

I wish people would listen to these sorts of comments.

Very dangerous indeed.

Good post!

System looks amazing!!!!! My lowther compact 400s are suddenly suffering from little weenie syndrome

What drivers do you have in your 400s (surely "classic 400" rather than "compact"...?), and how do they sound? Interested as I have a pair of Bicor 200s with PM2C drivers & have wondered how different (if at all) the cabs with forward/rear facing drivers sound.

I wish people would listen to these sorts of comments.

Very dangerous indeed.

Good post!

For the avoidance of any doubt or confusion, the electrical work recently carried out on my listening room was part of a wider building project, done by a qualified electrician and meets all Part P regulations. I have the certificate.

Guest BD Audio

Apparently BHB are developing a new range of earthing rods......

Guest BD Audio

They will compliment the existing range of gripper rods perfectly I'm told.

They will compliment the existing range of gripper rods perfectly I'm told.

Enough voltage difference between the earths and the gripping bit will be involuntary, meaning the gripper rods would become superfluous.;-)