i_should_coco

Further Descent into Madness

Where did those TTs come from, Ritchie? What an array! Could you pm me with any thoughts about which really shone..?

Jack

No need to PM, Jack. The TT's all belong to Mik (Mikolash Bavnahni) who is a member here and has a collection, of which these are a small part. They were all great and difficult to choose the best, I enjoyed The Beat with Air Tangent/ Myajima Madake whenever it played though. The only one not owned by Mik is my StSt Motus ii 12" which was on the far right.

I ain't called Hornucopia for nothing.(O.K. now I use Ocellias....)

What I've said for...decades!....now! No substitute for SIZE! But you DO need space to put them in.

I recall we all envied Steve RB's room in his old house. The rest of us dream of owning a barn?

One of the advantages of French country houses-they often have barns attached.

Gutted I didn't make it to Scalford to hear these. A gargantuan effort for a gargantuan system. Sharing this with others has to be applauded really.

Shame you couldn't make it, was kind of expecting you to introduce yourself all weekend. Another time!

Hi Ted, you are welcome to come for a listen if you have a spare couple of hours, just let me know and I'll find time.

TBH, this system is in a different league to the one I ran before. I need to listen a bit more over the weekend but it seemed to me that it has improved further after some alterations I made to the stands before Scalford and the Coco tweaked, xo settings used there.

I'm lucky that my room at home is somewhat deeper than the Colman room at Scalford and since then I have put the sofa back a further couple of feet. I guess that give or take, my head is 30' from the drivers, which makes all the difference. Large horn systems need space, not just to house them but so you can get far enough away so they integrate properly! Come over, I think you'll like it!

My room at home dictates that I am only 11' from the drivers (which are vertically aligned). Which is 8' from the mouth of the bass conical. JP (Diceman) has heard them in Coleman and at my place and he preferred them at Scalford. (Mind you I had borrowed some very tasty John Wood amps that day and that might have made a difference.)

Having said that I am quite pleased with the integration I do have at home. (Graham47 is coming over shortly and we will see what he thinks..)

At any rate I wouldnt put anybody off going for horns through lack of a huge room - the benefits are still there.

Incidentally, Ritchie, what considerations did you take into account when choosing the spatial arrangements in Coleman? In particular did you ponder or try different speaker positions. You may have seen pictures of my horn system in there last year where I opted for a stack in each leg of the L shape, taking care to equalise distance to room boundaries. We didnt try it your way with both stacks in one leg of the L.

Well done the two of you - thats a lot of work.

Jack NSM

Tbh Jack we just put them down there and stuck with it. There was quite a lot of deliberation as to where to put all the tt's and amps but we were limited by interconnect length. Not sure it could have gone any other way around actually, with absolutely no time to experiment.

We lost a lot of time during the day, just simply due to the size of the task and detours to get more equipment etc. We got to bed at 2ish on Saturday night, knackered. The Colman was like a bomb site in the morning!

This certainly gave me a big grin :D

[video=youtube;LORHVOwnfnw]

Apposite track for you boys!

I bought that on CD as soon as I got back as I thought it sounded great on those horns. It doesn't have the same magic on my system at home though. Maybe it's the room size or maybe it's just the way the horns deliver the music. Only 358 days to go until I can hear it sounding special again :(

Well if it makes you feel any better, it doesn't quite have the same magic here either. Mainly because I don't have a tweaked SME 30 (a one -off I think) and an IO LTD! That record is nicely mastered for cd though and sounds good...

Glad you enjoyed the sound :^

It was, but you still found time to let me play a few tracks through it, top man:^

No worries Bob, I hope the power chord had the required crunch! :D

A hybrid or folded horn system need not take so much space. Plus usually you save space by having them close to the wall. Eg my previous Onken horn system or a Voice of the Theatre replica. Trick is to spend time tweaking, time aligning and getting crossovers right. JJ

Yes, my Onken based system was much better than this one near field. Even if I never really got it running to it's potential.

Do you still have your gear Jonjin? Are you getting another system together? Your original Onken thread on here was very interesting when I first got into this stuff :^