34 minutes ago, radiant red said:

Hello Sergey

sugden owner here.. Harbeths too. 

lots of things to take into account like room dimensions etc but just because you thought it was easy to think Harbeth, don’t rule it out because they are matches made in heaven  

I brought my equipment and all the cable harness to a Harbeth dealer. I liked the 5 plus 40th. Unfortunately there weren’t 7 40th for comparison.

I just think there might be something more interesting than Harbeth for the Sagden bunch and maybe in a different design (not the BBC classic).

I am pleased with Sugden

• Replies 538
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

New to the rack

Hello all Picked up my brand new IA4 yesterday and my room is very warm now. Took me about an hour to pull the trigger after having one on home demo a few weeks ago.  Decided after many years of

So, having been underwhelmed by the ANV-50 and as subsequently reported here: I took my Posselt Albatrosses to Fanthorpes in Hull and heard them driven by A21 Signature, A21SE and IA-4. The IA-4

Posted Images

2 minutes ago, rusmeloman said:

I brought my equipment and all the cable harness to a Harbeth dealer. I liked the 5 plus 40th. Unfortunately there weren’t 7 40th for comparison.

I just think there might be something more interesting than Harbeth for the Sagden bunch and maybe in a different design (not the BBC classic).

I am pleased with Sugden

Lots of choices but not sure what you have available in Russia. Good dealers here let you borrow speakers in your own surroundings.. see what you can get home to try.. keep us posted

So, having been underwhelmed by the ANV-50 and as subsequently reported here:

I took my Posselt Albatrosses to Fanthorpes in Hull and heard them driven by A21 Signature, A21SE and IA-4. The IA-4 won the day on any scoresheet you'd care to mention, though I have to say that the compromised A21 will always have a special place in my heart.

I then played seriously, very seriously, with the idea of a different (Pass clone) Class A amp, with the thought of messing around with various pre's including tube ones, and then an IA-4 came up on Facebook Marketplace. I very nearly bit but some of the decals had rubbed off which would have annoyed me... and up on the 'bay pops the mint beauty below at around half RRP. It arrives on Tuesday.

image.thumb.png.48860da68310d08176adb059385b3f4f.png

This will live in Kendal and ultimately make my Posselts do magical things.

Edited by TheFlash
  • Like 4
  • Upvote 1
1 minute ago, graham67 said:

Top result Nigel 😃 

Thanks Graham. Sometimes things just fall into place.

Yes I think I saw that, a very good buy , well done

On 21/11/2019 at 17:44, rusmeloman said:

Hello!

I own Sugden IA-4 and PDT-4. I am currently running ProAC 1SC.

I am moving to a large room and want to get the best speakers for my combination.

I do not want ProAC. I thought of Harbeth, but it's too easy.

What could be the recommendations for me? I will be grateful for your comments.

I would like a universal all-genre sound that is not tiring to the ear. Room 25m2

Sergey

I had a pair of Spendor S8e with my IA-4 and PDT-4 , I still think of them as very good all-rounders. It may be worth you auditioning the newer Spendor models.

• Like 1
  • 3 weeks later...

Replaced Musical Fidelity A3CR pre/power combo in Kendal main rig with Sugden IA-4. Sounds ok!

Sorry for crap photo.

IMG_5568.thumb.jpg.a3141217499533b638a5c28ccad105e3.jpg

IMG_5569.jpg

• Like 4
  • Upvote 1

Looking good Nigel

19 hours ago, hifinutt said:

More than ok I am sure !

Indeed...

• 5 weeks later...
10 hours ago, Musicraft said:

Hi-Fi Plus reviews Sugden Audio’s Masterclass ANV-50 :cool:

http://www.hifiplus.com/articles/sugden-masterclass-anv-50-integrated-amplifier/

This review, now online, was in print last year. I had a different experience I'm afraid; I so wanted to love it but it didn't make me smile... like the A21 or like the "pre-loved" IA-4 I subsequently got for £1000 less. Pity, as a good looker and far more sensible!

• Like 2
I had over 2 weeks with an ANV 50. The review comments about inner detail that other amps leave out is very true.  I was often surprised even on very familiar material.   And as mentioned it is very different sound from the A21.
The ANV50 is bigger but looser sounding and as mentioned can display a touch of vagueness.  I used to own an A21 which is more delicate and precise and airier in the upper mid and treble.  I also own an FPA-4 which shares a lot in common with Flash's IA-4 and the A21 and I can see why he prefers his IA-4 to the ANV-50.
The real strength of the ANV is it's deeper quicker tuneful bass and its ability to effortlessly drive tough loads and of course it’s energy efficient design and sensible weight. And I always found it musical and enjoyable with my JBL speakers. 
I hope Sugden continue to develop this technology and eventually create a model that captures the essence of the very best of the old school class A with the drive anything ability of the modern  SMPS topology. Now that would be a killer amp that might tempt me from the YBA.
  • Like 1
  • oldius changed the title to Sugden