Sugden

fred sonnen

Sorry to interrupt the general Sugden drooling, but I have a question regarding my rc5 remote control with my IA4. When I try to use to control the volume, half the time it works as I'd expect (tap the volume and it increases a little)  and half the time it seems to just keep increasing volume even after I stop pushing the volume button, and only stops if I decrease. It does the same in reverse, or I want to decrease the volume a little and it drops to zero. I've checked and it doesn't seem to be a sticky buttons. Does anyone else get this? Just wondered if it's my hamfistedness or if it's a "feature"

Thanks

sounds abnormal , try spraying it with contact cleaner but their remotes are 

one reason why there is not a a21se driving my tannoys now !! :D 

Edited by hifinutt

• oldius changed the title to Sugden

Box for Sugden pre here:

Before the big daft tv spoils the view

49925911418_75db9df28c_c.jpgSugden - SJS - BlueSound - Heco by FITBITSFELLA, on Flickr

Edited by Lee M
  • Like 3

ah so thats a music master , wondered what they look like 

• Like 1

On 29/04/2020 at 18:46, Leem said:

Sorry to interrupt the general Sugden drooling, but I have a question regarding my rc5 remote control with my IA4. When I try to use to control the volume, half the time it works as I'd expect (tap the volume and it increases a little)  and half the time it seems to just keep increasing volume even after I stop pushing the volume button, and only stops if I decrease. It does the same in reverse, or I want to decrease the volume a little and it drops to zero. I've checked and it doesn't seem to be a sticky buttons. Does anyone else get this? Just wondered if it's my hamfistedness or if it's a "feature"

Thanks

Sorry for month's delay! Did you fix this? You didn't mention batteries which would be my first port of call.

5 minutes ago, TheFlash said:

Sorry for month's delay! Did you fix this? You didn't mention batteries which would be my first port of call.

Nope, batteries are fine, and still doing it today. Tbh I haven't tried using switch cleaner as I haven't got any, but that is probably my next port of call

31 minutes ago, Leem said:

Nope, batteries are fine, and still doing it today. Tbh I haven't tried using switch cleaner as I haven't got any, but that is probably my next port of call

RC5 is the standard code set for remotes. I hate those over-complex and ugly all-for-one jobbies but you should be able to get eg a Cyrus remote to also control the Sugden.The Sugden remote that comes with IA-4 is seriously unimpressive; by comparison the slightly older Arcam ones (silver coloured aluminium, not current black plastic) are a work of art. Rock solid feel, clever learning stuff, etc.

Edited by TheFlash
  • Like 1

Yes the arcam and naim remotes are superb . Unfortunately many brands have lousy remotes , one reason I like bel canto , better remotes than kit costing thousands more .

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TheFlash said:

RC5 is the standard code set for remotes. I hate those over-complex and ugly all-for-one jobbies but you should be able to get eg a Cyrus remote to also control the Sugden.The Sugden remote that comes with IA-4 is seriously unimpressive; by comparison the slightly older Arcam ones (silver coloured aluminium, not current black plastic) are a work of art. Rock solid feel, clever learning stuff, etc.

Interesting, I have a Cyrus remote, never even thought to try it. 

12 minutes ago, Leem said:

Interesting, I have a Cyrus remote, never even thought to try it. 

If all you want to control on the Suggie is the volume, it’s worth a shot. Some RC5 remotes need you to do stuff to get it to recognise another manufacturer’s device, but not all do. Good luck.

My Sugden remote is a bit rubbish. Its always worked can't say anymore tbh....I'm gonna get a ebay replacement as i have one remote for my two Sugden (cdplayer and preamp) im gonna sell.

Edited by Lee M

8 hours ago, Lee M said:

My Sugden remote is a bit rubbish. Its always worked can't say anymore tbh....I'm gonna get a ebay replacement as i have one remote for my two Sugden (cdplayer and preamp) im gonna sell.

Audia Flight and Canary Audio are just two companies I've recently come across which provide a remote which looks and feels like it does justice to the device it controls: solid, alumimium, etc. We probably spend as much time touching the remote as we do touching the controls! I just don't get how Sugden (and Chord, and others) can go to such trouble with their striking equipment designs, on devices priced at £5k and well north, and provide a plastic remote whch looks like it would suit an Amazon Echo.

Sorry, slightly off-topic rant there.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

@TheFlash i get what you mean. It just does it job. I'm a album listener so pressing play once every 50 minutes or so didnt bother me. I know what Sugden would say about a fancy remote, it would turn the air blue!

• Haha 1