33 minutes ago, Leem said:

Nothing wrong with buying gear, i just hope you're not disappointed to find the room limiting the improvement.

The chord gear noticeably  improved the sound and when I use the ATCs I get a lot of listening pleasure. 

I’m just positing the issue with the Proacs maybe the room rather than the speakers themselves because of the great feedback they have regarding their pairing with Sugden. Also it’s not that they sound bad - in fact they sound really good but there is a certain brightness that gets tiring after a short while. 

i do plan Yo do the obvious things like get a food rug and blinds but haven’t got round to that yet. 

I recently demoed the ATC 40as and fell in love. As I hit them g fi it a good price I went for it. My heart over hear ruling the day.

I’ve been into hifi for a long time (although when I read this and other forums you realise that’s very relative and compared to most here I’m really a newbie) and never really caught upgraditis until now. I’m hoping the AtC 40as and room treatment will cure that. 

• Replies 538
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

New to the rack

Hello all Picked up my brand new IA4 yesterday and my room is very warm now. Took me about an hour to pull the trigger after having one on home demo a few weeks ago.  Decided after many years of

So, having been underwhelmed by the ANV-50 and as subsequently reported here: I took my Posselt Albatrosses to Fanthorpes in Hull and heard them driven by A21 Signature, A21SE and IA-4. The IA-4

Posted Images

2 hours ago, Jahchand said:

I’ve been into hifi for a long time (although when I read this and other forums you realise that’s very relative and compared to most here I’m really a newbie) and never really caught upgraditis until now. I’m hoping the AtC 40as and room treatment will cure that. 

Best cure for upgraditis is to stay away from the WAM !

Otherwise welcome to the mad house 😃

• Upvote 1

Is anyone on here familiar with the Sugden Audition integrated?

I wanted to try a Sugden with my Harbeths and I came across this amp on Ebay from a bloke who only loves about three miles away. 

I bought it for £260, it is about 20 years old and from what I can gather it retailed for about £700 at the time. 

I absolutely love it! It's simply beautiful to listen to with the Harbeths. 

The thing is, I am now wondering whether an A21 or A21SE will be an even better upgrade. The Audition is rated at 65 watts but the A21 is 25w and the SE is 30 watts. Harbeth recommend a minimum of 25w for the P3ERs. 

Or am I better just keeping the Audition? 

• Like 1
14 hours ago, graham67 said:

On the front it says AMP98- C but the seller gave me a brochure for the Audition with it, and said he bought it as an Audition when new. It looks identical to an Audition. So assume it's the C version. 

• Like 1
On 18/07/2020 at 11:40, JD68 said:

On the front it says AMP98- C but the seller gave me a brochure for the Audition with it, and said he bought it as an Audition when new. It looks identical to an Audition. So assume it's the C version. 

That matches with my experience of a Sugden cd player I had a few years ago. It was labelled 'CD98' but was apparently part of the Audition range and can also be found labelled 'Audition-CD' , and in fact according to Patrick at Sugden was effectively the same machine as the later CD21.

7 hours ago, calorgas said:

That matches with my experience of a Sugden cd player I had a few years ago. It was labelled 'CD98' but was apparently part of the Audition range and can also be found labelled 'Audition-CD' , and in fact according to Patrick at Sugden was effectively the same machine as the later CD21.

Thanks for this. Makes sense as everything else suggests it's an Audition.  It's that good I might start looking at Sugden CD players too. 

• Like 1

I've had two of theirs; the CD98 and their first one which was the 'std1'. Both were excellent, but the old std1 was my favourite I think.

• Like 1

Don't think Sugden are making CD players anymore are they?

I didn't know that, but no it doesn't look like it. Maybe they found it more difficult to support their cd players for a long period of time due to mechanical wear to 3rd party transports etc.

• 4 weeks later...

Whole lotta Sugden in the classifieds, what's going on, is it making people overheat in the warm weather?

I was half tempted by the A21a (having been there twice in the past) but it would probably be a sideways move from the Marantz pm4 I'm currently using. 

Still, lots of temptation!

2 hours ago, calorgas said:

Whole lotta Sugden in the classifieds, what's going on, is it making people overheat in the warm weather?

I was half tempted by the A21a (having been there twice in the past) but it would probably be a sideways move from the Marantz pm4 I'm currently using. 

Still, lots of temptation!

A lot of box swappers.. 

my a21a S2 is going nowhere!

5 hours ago, radiant red said:

A lot of box swappers..

Yeah you're probably right and I'm definitely one of 'em :D.

I feel there's almost certainly gonna be some more of that Yorkshire goodness in my life sooner or later.