On 17/08/2020 at 13:28, calorgas said:

Whole lotta Sugden in the classifieds, what's going on, is it making people overheat in the warm weather?

I was half tempted by the A21a (having been there twice in the past) but it would probably be a sideways move from the Marantz pm4 I'm currently using. 

Still, lots of temptation!

Yes I was thinking the same thing , ia4 coming out of every corner !

• Haha 2
  • Replies 538
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

New to the rack

Hello all Picked up my brand new IA4 yesterday and my room is very warm now. Took me about an hour to pull the trigger after having one on home demo a few weeks ago.  Decided after many years of

So, having been underwhelmed by the ANV-50 and as subsequently reported here: I took my Posselt Albatrosses to Fanthorpes in Hull and heard them driven by A21 Signature, A21SE and IA-4. The IA-4

Posted Images

20200821_173352.thumb.jpg.340333f84fda490c4fd0983b1048f55d.jpgHello all

Picked up my brand new IA4 yesterday and my room is very warm now. Took me about an hour to pull the trigger after having one on home demo a few weeks ago.  Decided after many years of HiFi that having lots of power was not the answer. Single ended class A with 33 watts is plenty. As you can see i`ve also gone digital and i thought i never would but the Mytek Brooklyn DAC+ with the linear PSU really opened my eyes especially on the balanced input on the IA4.  Possibly looking to update the Sonus Faber speakers now as the other half doesn't like the look of them with the new colour scheme. I never thought the Sugden would drive 4ohm speakers but it does a great job. Anyone have any experience with Focal or Marten? LeeM recommends Heco Direkt and the reviews are good. 

• Like 5
6 hours ago, wobbler123 said:

Picked up my brand new IA4 yesterday and my room is very warm now. Took me about an hour to pull the trigger after having one on home demo a few weeks ago.  Decided after many years of HiFi that having lots of power was not the answer. Single ended class A with 33 watts is plenty. As you can see i`ve also gone digital and i thought i never would but the Mytek Brooklyn DAC+ with the linear PSU really opened my eyes especially on the balanced input on the IA4.  Possibly looking to update the Sonus Faber speakers now as the other half doesn't like the look of them with the new colour scheme. I never thought the Sugden would drive 4ohm speakers but it does a great job. Anyone have any experience with Focal or Marten? LeeM recommends Heco Direkt and the reviews are good. 

Congrats on your new amp, great piece of kit.

ProAc are a good match with Sugden

Mac

• Like 1
8 hours ago, wobbler123 said:

Lovely. Thing is, your getting more like 48w into a 4ohm load with those speakers. Also the Sugdens have so much current in reserve to deliver those watts with finesse and glorious midrange. 
Using my Sugden A21aS2 on my Harbeths delivers approx 31w into 6ohms. I often think it’s all the amp you will ever need.

• Like 2
10 hours ago, wobbler123 said:

welcome , yes the heco in white might look good , worth trying . congrats on the ia4 

• Like 2

they are a lot bigger than the sonus though, this is the 1 driver version 

https://www.hifiwigwam.com/forum/topic/143451-fs-heco-direkt-einkland-floanding-speakers-in-white/page/2/

@wobbler123. Nice room and system. I'll pm you regarding a visit to have a listen.

LeeM thanks i would love a listen at some point. Been listening to this amp for hours. Much better than my Musical Fidelity pre-power combo i had before.

• Like 1
On 23/08/2020 at 12:19, hifinutt said:

they are a lot bigger than the sonus though, this is the 1 driver version 

https://www.hifiwigwam.com/forum/topic/143451-fs-heco-direkt-einkland-floanding-speakers-in-white/page/2/

Hi hifinutt. My room is 14.5 ft x 12.5 ft with my system on the long wall. The sonus fabers have a rear port so need lots of space around them. The direkts should fit in my room no problem. Even the mrs likes the look of them especially in white. I thought bottom ported speakers might give an easier placement.

• Like 2
  • 2 weeks later...

This might have already been covered! Is a Sugden warranty transferable? Thanks. 

Just confirmed- not transferable.

Edited by marko
  • 2 weeks later...

Hi

I have a question for the Sugden owners, do any of the pre\integrated amps have source selection via remote control? I know they the remote controls volume but not sure about any other functions.

as far as i know the rc5 just does tracks for cd and volume . not input selection 

Hi thanks for the reply, many years ago i had a Bijou systen that i liked alot. Would love to try some of there newer equipment but being able to select the input via remote is one of the few things my better half insists on in a system.

Trials on my IA4 atm. Marten Designs Heritage Duke 2. After listening to about 20 different pairs of speakers i have these on home demo. So far am am very impressed. I can hear a lot more of what the IA4 can do. This is a magical combination for a class A amplifier of the calibre of the Sugden. 

20200917_161700.jpg

• Like 3