1 hour ago, radiant red said:

This is where system matching is so important. Which MF?

There was certainly nothing syrupy about the MF AMS35i - one of the most clean, dynamic and vibrant amps in its price range. Its presentation still haunts me.

• Replies 538
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

New to the rack

Hello all Picked up my brand new IA4 yesterday and my room is very warm now. Took me about an hour to pull the trigger after having one on home demo a few weeks ago.  Decided after many years of

So, having been underwhelmed by the ANV-50 and as subsequently reported here: I took my Posselt Albatrosses to Fanthorpes in Hull and heard them driven by A21 Signature, A21SE and IA-4. The IA-4

Posted Images

23 minutes ago, CnoEvil said:

There was certainly nothing syrupy about the MF AMS35i - one of the most clean, dynamic and vibrant amps in its price range. Its presentation still haunts me.

Very true and if @Iceman 16 ever sells his, he better let me know 😊

• Like 1
34 minutes ago, radiant red said:

Very true and if @Iceman 16 ever sells his, he better let me know 😊

...and IIRC he had his upgraded!

7 hours ago, radiant red said:

This is where system matching is so important. Which MF?

Well, it was with the RS6s which should open up any warm amp. Can't remember as it was years ago. The A300 springs to mind but don't quote me on this as I've drawn a blank. Sorry.

5 hours ago, CnoEvil said:

Sorry, Cno. But your amp retailed at around 6-7k when new. The one I listened to was nowhere near that price tag.

1 minute ago, plasticpenguin said:

Sorry, Cno. But your amp retailed at around 6-7k when new. The one I listened to was nowhere near that price tag.

Some of what MF marketed as Class A, was in effect, just highly biased in Class A.

14 minutes ago, CnoEvil said:

Some of what MF marketed as Class A, was in effect, just highly biased in Class A.

This is true, very few were actually true class a 

Sugden are the masters in this. The AMS series in MF are true class a and executed well. 

2 minutes ago, radiant red said:

This is true, very few were actually true class a 

Sugden are the masters in this. The AMS series in MF are true class a and executed well. 

Do you mean Sugden are masters in Class A, or masters in marketing?

2 minutes ago, CnoEvil said:

Do you mean Sugden are masters in Class A, or masters in marketing?

Definitely not marketing lol 

44 minutes ago, CnoEvil said:

Fake Class A? Don't get me wrong, I have nothing against any amp regardless of Class per se, but the ones I've heard just don't do it for me. In fact the last time heard anything as tonally warm as that MF was my parents radiogram. It was nasty sounding and weighed a tonne.

Chances are the Sugden will buck my dislike for Class A. I don't know, but I would certainly like to hear one. Don't forget, I heard these long before I had the Leema. 

Edited by plasticpenguin
1 hour ago, plasticpenguin said:

Fake Class A? Don't get me wrong, I have nothing against any amp regardless of Class per se, but the ones I've heard just don't do it for me. In fact the last time heard anything as tonally warm as that MF was my parents radiogram. It was nasty sounding and weighed a tonne.

Chances are the Sugden will buck my dislike for Class A. I don't know, but I would certainly like to hear one. Don't forget, I heard these long before I had the Leema. 

It's more like marketing a Class AB amp, that's highly biased in Class A - as Class A.....you have to read the small print.

Edited by CnoEvil

Enjoying the Sugden DAC-4:

50818620372_cf9eff90e1_k.jpgSugden DAC-4 by Rob Moores, on Flickr

• Like 2
1 hour ago, CnoEvil said:

It's more like marketing a Class AB amp, that's highly biased in Class A - as Class A.....you have to read the small print.

Marketing to convince the average punter it's something its not? Why should I read the small print? either the amp is good or bad.

I've read so many good things over the years about Sugdens in general. Good appraisal doesn't mean it'll fit into my system or suit my taste. Perhaps I'm wrong - in all truth I want to be proven wrong (how often do you read that on a forum?) - but until I do I'll remain firmly on the fence, pending a home demo.