Sugden

fred sonnen

Super Wammer

10 minutes ago, radiant red said:

Jayson, you bugger 😂

I saw that AM35 on eBay - if it was mint I might have been tempted to buy it. 

Super Wammer
14 hours ago, HouseElf said:

Enjoying the Sugden DAC-4:

50818620372_cf9eff90e1_k.jpgSugden DAC-4 by Rob Moores, on Flickr

How’s it sounding bud? 

Just watched on u tube a review of the sugden a21 signature amp ....by the british audiophile .....interesting but not surprised on his views .....thats suggie for ya.......compared it to his hegel amp .

• Like 1

Super Wammer
12 minutes ago, deggie said:

Just watched on u tube a review of the sugden a21 signature amp ....by the british audiophile .....interesting but not surprised on his views .....thats suggie for ya.......compared it to his hegel amp .

Is that the link I put up on the previous page Keith ? 

• Like 1

There is absolutely no way the A21SE can be described as syrupy. Much more nut brittle.

I just bought off ebay an EXPOSURE 2010 DSD DAC ex-demo for £575. It reads like it would be a good match as a "my first DAC" for my sugden A21SE and Totem Sky speakers.

Anyone think I have made an error?

Armed with my Sugden CD player and little Raspberry Pi with Hifiberry digi+ pro HAT at least this setup gets me in the streaming game. I didn't think it was a good idea for me to spend £2k on a sugden DAC or a luxman DA-250 on a first system. I think this way I can listen to hopefully a nice matching DAC for the next 12 months and then see if I want to upgrade the streamer and DAC later, doing home demos to see what difference that new kit might bring.

Looking forward to hear peoples opnions on the Exposure DAC.

Super Wammer
11 hours ago, oxymoron said:

I just bought off ebay an EXPOSURE 2010 DSD DAC ex-demo for £575. It reads like it would be a good match as a "my first DAC" for my sugden A21SE and Totem Sky speakers.

Anyone think I have made an error?

Armed with my Sugden CD player and little Raspberry Pi with Hifiberry digi+ pro HAT at least this setup gets me in the streaming game. I didn't think it was a good idea for me to spend £2k on a sugden DAC or a luxman DA-250 on a first system. I think this way I can listen to hopefully a nice matching DAC for the next 12 months and then see if I want to upgrade the streamer and DAC later, doing home demos to see what difference that new kit might bring.

Looking forward to hear peoples opnions on the Exposure DAC.

Nice Dac, it won’t improve on the Sugden but will allow you to try other digital products such as your raspberry.

if you intend to use a std 75ohm coax cable, you will need some BNC adapter plugs.

95844432-B722-4DE3-93CC-7A608571B50C.png

Edited by radiant red

1 hour ago, radiant red said:

Nice Dac, it won’t improve on the Sugden but will allow you to try other digital products such as your raspberry.

if you intend to use a std 75ohm coax cable, you will need some BNC adapter plugs.

95844432-B722-4DE3-93CC-7A608571B50C.png

Excellent. So it looks like this Exposure DAC is a good match. I didn’t want it to change the sugden sound, I just really didn’t want to make the top end harsh.

Super Wammer
54 minutes ago, oxymoron said:

Excellent. So it looks like this Exposure DAC is a good match. I didn’t want it to change the sugden sound, I just really didn’t want to make the top end harsh.

Do try the Sugden on the DAC but I would say it will have a slightly different character but as far as anything else you connect, it can only improve 👍🏻

13 minutes ago, radiant red said:

Do try the Sugden on the DAC but I would say it will have a slightly different character but as far as anything else you connect, it can only improve 👍🏻

Ah yes I see, I was going to keep the CD player to the amp and not connect it to the exposure dac, only tv and the steamer

• Like 1

Super Wammer
23 minutes ago, oxymoron said:

Ah yes I see, I was going to keep the CD player to the amp and not connect it to the exposure dac, only tv and the steamer

Definitely the TV and streamer 👍🏻

On 26/06/2015 at 17:22, Alvolake said:

I have only ever used Suggies, having bought my A48II from Brady´s in 1975 (?), then I had an A21a and now my A21SE. Each quite different from the other two but people seem to think that Sugden are a sort of SS valve amp substitute. Maybe the A48 was a bit like old valve amps but the other two certainly aren´t. I live abroad and value most highly the way they just get on with it, at most needing a new volume pot now and again.

Was the A48II  Class AB?  Borrowed one for a couple of weeks, years ago. Decided not to buy it and still can't figure out why?

Yes, it was AB although the first couple of watts were supposed to be in Class A so most people never reached AB operation if their speakers were efficient enough. I used it with Heybrook HB2s, not particularly efficient but even so I hardly ever turned the pot  anywhere near half way.