The above is based on a source with a 2v output. There will be some variation when using vinyl but with the quality of the alps, the amp (like many good amps) will be able to maximise the voltage range. 

• Replies 538
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

New to the rack

Hello all Picked up my brand new IA4 yesterday and my room is very warm now. Took me about an hour to pull the trigger after having one on home demo a few weeks ago.  Decided after many years of

So, having been underwhelmed by the ANV-50 and as subsequently reported here: I took my Posselt Albatrosses to Fanthorpes in Hull and heard them driven by A21 Signature, A21SE and IA-4. The IA-4

Posted Images

On 24/02/2021 at 10:01, radiant red said:

Regarding the volume pot. Many amps start at around 8 O’clock such as Rega. This should be taken into account when turning the dial on Sugdens as the alps pot is sensitive and you are so use to a fuller range of the pot on different amps. It’s not a fault, it’s just the way it’s designed. 
The first picture is the starting point on the Sugden and the second is of a typical amp like Rega.AE647797-8B66-4498-8D78-3FE2E0AB33AC.thumb.jpeg.dec76f83f3a5240c4f31b407304170af.jpeg7D5E846D-B40D-4A9D-9816-C24B2316BF14.thumb.jpeg.3edd7c710be419ea8c7d18c9c92f9c57.jpeg

In the view below, at the set volume, you can clearly see what levels are achieved so to listen safely up to say 10 O’clock, you will be at the levels exceeding safe daily levels. Don’t kid yourself, the A21a is quite capable of achieving good decent levels. 

6CBC929F-32B0-458E-857C-C8E99DE68E32.jpeg

FD9A8F14-E2B6-465A-979B-F739A643582E.jpeg

I get a slight delay on the Leema volume, only with remote control. Use it manually there's no lag or delay. By contrast, when I had the Arcams if you turned it down really low it would veer slightly to emphasis one channel. 

On 24/02/2021 at 08:35, calorgas said:

Class A amps don't get steadily hotter the longer you have them on, they warm up to 'a temperature' and then remain at pretty much that temperature until you turn them off. I have an A21a and have regularly used it for up to 10 or 12 a day with zero problems or worries. I've been a Sugden owner on and off for 25 years.

Another amp I had been using until recently is a 1980's Marantz PM-4 in (proper) Class A mode - also absolutely fine being left on for as long as I liked. 

I don't know, perhaps there are some Class A amps out there that do have problems dissipating their heat, but as long as a Suggie has some space around it then it'll be fine (in my experience).

Certainly get round to hearing one at some point. I tried a couple of weeks ago to contact my local dealer... tried twice and went onto answer machine. I'll wait for a while as it's purely experimental reasons/comparisons.

Love what my system offers, for VFM it's hard to better IME.

Edited by plasticpenguin
  • Like 1
2 hours ago, plasticpenguin said:

Certainly get round to hearing one at some point. 

What really surprised me about mine is the amount of bass welly it has! The TL's on the PMC's are kicking it out 😁. Not heavy or overblown, but a nice decent bass weight.

You'll no doubt get the same on your PMC's too.

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, Amormusic said:

What really surprised me about mine is the amount of bass welly it has! The TL's on the PMC's are kicking it out 😁. Not heavy or overblown, but a nice decent bass weight.

PMC’s are a good match on Sugden, quite a few people I know use them 

• Like 1
6 hours ago, Amormusic said:

I'm not really a big bass head. I'd much prefer a punchy, well defined bass than more low end stuff. I'm pretty sure it will be better given the new dealer prices. The SE model new is 3k, according to Guildford Hi-fi website. That's nearly 3 x the cost of the Leema when new. Then I'll have to factor in a phono stage. I know some have already been added, but they are few and far between.

On 25/02/2021 at 23:40, plasticpenguin said:

I'm not really a big bass head. I'd much prefer a punchy, well defined bass than more low end stuff. I'm pretty sure it will be better given the new dealer prices. The SE model new is 3k, according to Guildford Hi-fi website. That's nearly 3 x the cost of the Leema when new. Then I'll have to factor in a phono stage. I know some have already been added, but they are few and far between.

You keep referring to the SE, we have been talking about the A21a 

2 hours ago, radiant red said:

You keep referring to the SE, we have been talking about the A21a 

Just using that as a guide. As my only dealer is showing the SE version, not sure what else I can refer to.

16 minutes ago, plasticpenguin said:

Just using that as a guide. As my only dealer is showing the SE version, not sure what else I can refer to.

There are plenty of other dealers quite happy to lend the A21a which we have mentioned before. 

48 minutes ago, radiant red said:

There are plenty of other dealers quite happy to lend the A21a which we have mentioned before. 

Yup, you recommended a dealer in Glasgow or somewhere north of the border. You can do this with most makes. 

It's almost like the SE version is the runt of the litter. I've had hi-fi systems (separates not music centres or dross like Amstrad) since the 1970s. Not once have I owned a Class A amp. Work out why. Doesn't take a rocket scientist.

I appreciate you have a bias towards the brand, as I do with Leema. Have you not considered I might actually prefer the SE version?

2 minutes ago, plasticpenguin said:

Yup, you recommended a dealer in Glasgow or somewhere north of the border. You can do this with most makes. 

It's almost like the SE version is the runt of the litter. I've had hi-fi systems (separates not music centres or dross like Amstrad) since the 1970s. Not once have I owned a Class A amp. Work out why. Doesn't take a rocket scientist.

I appreciate you have a bias towards the brand, as I do with Leema. Have you not considered I might actually prefer the SE version?

It’s nothing to do with having a bias for the make, I’m just trying to help you. The SE is not the ‘runt’ as you say but it needs to be partnered well. 
How can you prefer the SE when you haven’t heard any of them? 

Tbh, you seem to just be critical of what you haven’t tried. Quite why your on about amstrad and saying I wonder why you haven’t owned a class A amp is mind boggling. 
I’ll offer no more help or advise to you anymore ok 👍🏻

4 hours ago, radiant red said:

It’s nothing to do with having a bias for the make, I’m just trying to help you. The SE is not the ‘runt’ as you say but it needs to be partnered well. 
How can you prefer the SE when you haven’t heard any of them? 

Tbh, you seem to just be critical of what you haven’t tried. Quite why your on about amstrad and saying I wonder why you haven’t owned a class A amp is mind boggling. 
I’ll offer no more help or advise to you anymore ok 👍🏻

There's a reason why I've never owned a Class A, because they didn't turn me on. It's quite a simple logic. Nor am I saying I prefer a SE. I'm saying perhaps I might prefer the SE, given you've commented in the past that the SE doesn't have a typical Class A sound. That may (just may) be my bag, but that's a guess.

Reason for mentioning Amstrad is to emphasis that fact, even as a youngster, had a system more substantial than the cheap budget all-in-one brands available back in the day.

However, this is meant to be a hi-fi forum, so will continue to ask questions about brands I'm unfamiliar with.

And no, I've never been disrespectful towards Sugden. In fact I've never been towards any brand, whether I like them or not.

Over to you to decide about responding or not.

Edited by plasticpenguin
1 hour ago, plasticpenguin said:

There's a reason why I've never owned a Class A, because they didn't turn me on.

Pp, You are more than welcome to hear or listen to my AMS 35i after covid lockdown. You might change your view about Class A. 😀

• Upvote 1

I'm off the merry-go-round of buying loads of stuff. That's all I'll say.

My plans to pick up an A49 are now history.

This is going absolutely nowhere.

Think I've found my long term "keeper".

• Like 1
40 minutes ago, Amormusic said:

I'm off the merry-go-round of buying loads of stuff. That's all I'll say.

My plans to pick up an A49 are now history.

This is going absolutely nowhere.

Think I've found my long term "keeper".

Nice one. It's always refreshing to read when people are happy with their bundles. :^