57 minutes ago, Iceman 16 said:

Pp, You are more than welcome to hear or listen to my AMS 35i after covid lockdown. You might change your view about Class A. 😀

Thanks Iceman. TBH, and if I remember correctly, your amp was around the 6k new price. There's no way I would want to spend anywhere near that price tag, even at used prices. And as we all know, no two class A are the same, as with any other class.

I will get to hear a Sugden of some description, but chances are I'll go back to the Tucana -- it's a real gem.

Edited by plasticpenguin
  • Replies 538
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

New to the rack

Hello all Picked up my brand new IA4 yesterday and my room is very warm now. Took me about an hour to pull the trigger after having one on home demo a few weeks ago.  Decided after many years of

So, having been underwhelmed by the ANV-50 and as subsequently reported here: I took my Posselt Albatrosses to Fanthorpes in Hull and heard them driven by A21 Signature, A21SE and IA-4. The IA-4

Posted Images

12 minutes ago, plasticpenguin said:

Thanks Iceman. TBH, and if I remember correctly, your amp was around the 6k new price. There's no way I would want to spend anywhere near that price tag, even at used prices. And as we all know, no two class A are the same, as with any other class.

I will get to hear a Sugden of some description, but chances are I'll go back to the Tucana -- it's a real gem.

What's missing with the Tucana that would make you interested in a potential change to, say, a Sugden?

Edited by HouseElf
49 minutes ago, HouseElf said:

What's missing with the Tucana that would make you interested in a potential change to, say, a Sugden?

Absolutely nothing missing with the Tucana. I owned Arcams for over 14 years and it would have been easy just to buy a more expensive Arcam, and no doubt that would have given me years of joy. But I fancied a different flavour. That flavour came from the Welsh valleys.

Likewise, looking at a Sugden (possibly) and if the flavour is palatable.... 

If I´m not mistaken SE in Sugden´s case stands for Special Edition, not for Single ended. It is supposed to be single ended but so are others.

Hello to all from Germany,

I am new to the forum and joined because I am strongly considering a Sugden as my next amp.

I am interested in the ANV50 but there aint really many reviews or perceptions I could find. Most impressions are in this forum I think.

I am wondering if the members think that the ANV50 has any weakness compared to the Sugden a21se? From reading I kind of understood that they share some similarities in sound signature and both are quite different in sound from the a21a.

But as the ANV50 is not "pure class A", I wonder if the A21SE is still a better candidate for low volume listening?

Any thoughts are apprecciated.

@HouseElf from reading here I understood that you recently bought the ANV50 for the second time, to go with Dyns S40, and you were very happy with it. I would apprecciate to hear your current thoughts on this amp, as I think in the end you decided to sell it?

Thank you

@ozzyyears if you update your profile with your kit, many can advise you for the best Sugden match. Speaker matching is important depending on amp so the more you fill in the better 👍🏻 I’m sure @HouseElf will be along soon to give his feedback on the ANV

• Like 2
3 hours ago, ozzyyears said:

I am new to the forum and joined because I am strongly considering a Sugden as my next amp.

I am interested in the ANV50 but there aint really many reviews or perceptions I could find. Most impressions are in this forum I think.

I am wondering if the members think that the ANV50 has any weakness compared to the Sugden a21se? From reading I kind of understood that they share some similarities in sound signature and both are quite different in sound from the a21a.

But as the ANV50 is not "pure class A", I wonder if the A21SE is still a better candidate for low volume listening?

@HouseElf from reading here I understood that you recently bought the ANV50 for the second time, to go with Dyns S40, and you were very happy with it. I would apprecciate to hear your current thoughts on this amp, as I think in the end you decided to sell it?

Thank you

I have an ANV-50, I think it's great. Personally I prefer it to the Sugden pure class A stuff as it's more of a foottapper and will drive a far wider variety of speakers (I use ATC19's). Also great at low volumes.

• Like 1
4 hours ago, ozzyyears said:

Thank you

The ANV-50 is a superb amplifier and - as I think I may have mentioned here somewhere before - Sugden feel it is the best circuit they have designed . Unfortunately, I cannot compare it to the Sugden A21SE as I have not heard that amplifier. 

I have owned and heard extensively the Sugden I-A4 and A21 Signature. They are incredible amplifiers with an organic, textured and subtle presentation whilst having a decent amount of drive that is very similar to a valve amplifier without the headaches a valves can bring. 

The ANV-50 trades some of the organic nature of the I-A4 and A21 for more drive and verve. It is very flexible with speaker pairings - I used mine with a pair of Boenicke W5SE's which are not an easy speaker to drive and it didn't flinch. 

I would suggest it is more of a "bottom up" amplifier in that the presentation is built on the foundations of the amazing bass performance - both depth and rhythm. The midrange is slightly less organic than it's Class A counterparts but it isn't too far off.  Treble is detailed and smooth. 

I changed mine because of an opportunity to pick up an Accuphase amplifier with phono and DAC boards which meant I could reduce my box count. 

As @radiant red said if you can update your profile with your speakers and the rest of your system it would help with suggestions. 

• Like 2

Thank you all for your inputs so far. 

I have now updated my profile. I invested more on the vinyl front end as I use it to listen to classic rock and hard rock with headphones.

I live in an small appartment and so I use the speaker for "calmer music" (still some rock, jazz, acoustic music, etc) and am looking for ways to improve my enjoyment at low levels. Right now the system needs some volume to "wake up", which is far from ideal. 

Speakers are dynaudio x14. I dont have a dedicated room and cant change them (long story, dont ask.. lol), so I planning to update their crossover parts on the next few months and see what this brings to the table.

I must say I quite like the Dynaudio sound so I imagine that when/if I am able to upgrade in the future, I would first look at Dyns like S40 or used Contours.

The ANV50 is pushing my price limits but would heat much less, cost less to use due to much lower energy consumption and be more flexible for the future. However I keep thinking if it really sounds better to justify the big price difference, especially at low volumes and how it portrays vocals.

Unfortunately better dealers carrying sugden around here are few and all far away from me (like 500km) and the one I called actually tried to sell me a Lavardin.... So it didnt really help :(

No kit on your profile so not able to comment on what your currently using 🤔

I wouldn’t recommend the Sugden pure class A for the Dynaudios however the ANV would be a better match. 

• Like 2
12 minutes ago, radiant red said:

No kit on your profile so not able to comment on what your currently using 🤔

I wouldn’t recommend the Sugden pure class A for the Dynaudios however the ANV would be a better match. 

I am sorry. Noob mistake. I clicked save but didnt answer the "trade question". So it didnt save and I didnt realize it :oops:

Now it should be visible. At least I see it now:$

Edited by ozzyyears
  • Like 1
2 minutes ago, ozzyyears said:

I am sorry. Noob mistake. I clicked save but didnt answer the "trade question". So it didnt save and I didnt realize it :oops:

Now it should be visible. At least I see it now:$

Good stuff. I see you have Vincent, I’m a fan of the 331MK power amp. Add a decent pre to that. It will drive anything. Use your amp as a pre on it and I think you might be shocked at how good it is when you go up the Vincent ladder. I’m not putting you off Sugden but as your in the country that designed the amp, see if you can get one on loan. They are on offer in the uk for about £1750 but there is a link here

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Vincent-sp-331mk-hybrid-amp-class-a-2x150-w-alu-/263485774072?_trksid=p2349624.m46890.l49292

• Like 2

@radiant red thank you!

I am open to suggestions, just not very keen on Lavardin.

I am also lacking on shelf space for a separated amplifier, but I will think about it and see if I can come up with a solution. Vincent is definetely easier to get on loan here, that is for sure.

I really like the fact that sugden is a small family manufacturer, made in england. But in the end it has to be about sound

• 4 weeks later...

There is a sugden valve amp for sale on the bay. It's a restoration job. Anyone know anything about these amps? That's the first I've seen anything about them. 

It's "A.R Sugden  valve amp type 05, 6V6 vintage, for restoration"