Sugden

fred sonnen

27 minutes ago, radiant red said:

Not sure if these are still available Mike

Thanks Jon. Very unlike me, but I'm quite concerned that they'll be no better or, even worse, worse than I already have.

The M1i's were a £3.5K, universally acclaimed (many of the reviewers who reviewed them , bought them) speaker that work very well in my room.

Thinking about it some more, I'll stick, very happily, with what I have.

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, Idlewithnodrive said:

Thanks Jon. Very unlike me, but I'm quite concerned that they'll be no better or, even worse, worse than I already have.

The M1i's were a £3.5K, universally acclaimed (many of the reviewers who reviewed them , bought them) speaker that work very well in my room.

Thinking about it some more, I'll stick, very happily, with what I have.

No worries Mike, you have very nice speakers 🔊 

On 18/07/2021 at 08:49, Amormusic said:

Enjoy PP. I'm sure you will 👍. It is an absolutely fantastic amp imo.

Let us know what you think.

Still having supply problems with the A21. Strangely he has no issues with the Masterclass range.

• 4 weeks later...

Afternoon all,

i’m currently waiting for my ANV-50 to be built. Ordered it at the end of March on a 16 week turn around but this has just been extended to October.  Material delays apparently but I’m not in a rush tbf as I’ve got a demo unit on loan until mine lands so it’s all good.

I’m just interested to hear what speakers other owners are using. I’ve currently got a pair of Totem Sttaf’s but these may go in a second system next year. 

Edited by CrillboBaggins

16 minutes ago, CrillboBaggins said:

Afternoon all,

i’m currently waiting for my ANV-50 to be built. Ordered it at the end of March on a 16 week turn around but this has just been extended to October.  Material delays apparently but I’m not in a rush tbf as I’ve got a demo unit on loan until mine lands so it’s all good.

I’m just interested to hear what speakers other owners are using. I’ve currently got a pair of Totem Sttaf’s but these may go in a second system next year. 

Congratulations. Anything up to a 26 week wait is not unusual atm, supply issues as you say. Natural choices are Harbeth, Proac, PMC but a lot depends on the room your in. Also, if you fill in your profile with the kit you have will help so we can see what your using for synergy.

18 minutes ago, radiant red said:

Congratulations. Anything up to a 26 week wait is not unusual atm, supply issues as you say. Natural choices are Harbeth, Proac, PMC but a lot depends on the room your in. Also, if you fill in your profile with the kit you have will help so we can see what your using for synergy.

I’ll fill in the profile shortly but here’s my set up below :

Sugden ANV-50

SME Synergy with Cadenza Black

Totem Sttaf’s 

Townshend Isolda speaker cable

GIK 100mm Acoustic wall panels on the wall opposite the speakers behind where I sit.  

Interconnects are non branded ones a pal of mine makes and sells. I did have Chord Clearway but these are a significant improvement imo. 

My room probably needs some ceiling treatments but I’ve not gone there with my Wife yet as it’s our lounge and not a dedicated listening room unfortunately. 

AE8E8DE4-707A-4043-8D08-CF1E68FCC976.jpeg

BBE86F8E-DE59-4706-9669-34629C404786.jpeg

67A58E27-16CB-4E89-A3DC-EB65B03F2AD1.jpeg

50F53A18-BE59-4BD8-AA17-5B1401769603.jpeg

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, CrillboBaggins said:

I’ll fill in the profile shortly but here’s my set up below :

Sugden ANV-50

SME Synergy with Cadenza Black

Totem Sttaf’s 

Townshend Isolda speaker cable

GIK 100mm Acoustic wall panels on the wall opposite the speakers behind where I sit.  

Interconnects are non branded ones a pal of mine makes and sells. I did have Chord Clearway but these are a significant improvement imo. 

My room probably needs some ceiling treatments but I’ve not gone there with my Wife yet as it’s our lounge and not a dedicated listening room unfortunately. 

AE8E8DE4-707A-4043-8D08-CF1E68FCC976.jpeg

BBE86F8E-DE59-4706-9669-34629C404786.jpeg

67A58E27-16CB-4E89-A3DC-EB65B03F2AD1.jpeg

50F53A18-BE59-4BD8-AA17-5B1401769603.jpeg

Looks a pretty decent room. Solid walls/Floor? 
I wouldn’t worry about ceiling treatments, really not worth it. The Totems look a bit lost in there. What budget have you considered for speakers? What sound do you like? Many people are drawn to an instant impact speaker but often find they are lethargic after a while or too revealing on poor recordings. A common mistake and regret for many. 

27 minutes ago, radiant red said:

Looks a pretty decent room. Solid walls/Floor? 
I wouldn’t worry about ceiling treatments, really not worth it. The Totems look a bit lost in there. What budget have you considered for speakers? What sound do you like? Many people are drawn to an instant impact speaker but often find they are lethargic after a while or too revealing on poor recordings. A common mistake and regret for many. 

The wall with the door on is a stud wall, the rest are brick and block. The floor is timber as the lounge is on the first floor. 
I love the Totems but agree they do look a bit lost. I tried some Wilson Benesch Square 2’s but found them too much for my ears.  Very revealing and did fill out the room more than the Totems but I couldn’t listen to them for long periods. 
Happy to purchase used and budget is approx £1,800 when I do. 
Potentially going down the Alchris Audio (was Kralk) route as a pal has just purchased some so I’ll see what he thinks once he gets used to them.

Generally interested to know what works well though by those who have the same amp. 

4 minutes ago, CrillboBaggins said:

Potentially going down the Alchris Audio (was Kralk) route as a pal has just purchased some so I’ll see what he thinks once he gets used to them.

Very interested in your thoughts of this combo. I do not have same amp, I have an A21a Signature, but similarly have been considering a switch up and changing speakers. 

@CrillboBaggins IMO The brand to beat with Sugden, is ProAc. If you can find something that works better, you are onto a winner - but ProAc is where to start.

• Like 1

Of course I’m going to say Harbeth too. Especially in that room. Some C7’s and dedicated stands but if proac, might find some D2’s but again, factor in stands. Will be hard to audition if used.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, radiant red said:

Of course I’m going to say Harbeth too. Especially in that room. Some C7’s and dedicated stands but if proac, might find some D2’s but again, factor in stands. Will be hard to audition if used.

I’m not that familiar with Harbeth or ProAc but I’ll have a look online. 
cheers

27 minutes ago, CrillboBaggins said:

I’m not that familiar with Harbeth or ProAc but I’ll have a look online. 
cheers

The ANV is a more revealing amp than the a21a @Amormusic, the C7’s I owned on the A21a were a great combo which is why I upgraded to the HL5+ but truth is, the C7’s are 85% of the HL5+ but a different presentation but both are extremely enjoyable and on the ANV50, I expected more and got more but demoing the amp, at the time, couldn’t justify twice the cost as a current Sugden owner but if you have never owned an A21a, you would naturally love the anv50. 
Proac are more personal imo, the D2’s are a delight and would work effortlessly in your room @CrillboBaggins

Its all about personal preference but speakers so need to be tried at home. Also, your be looking at the pre XD Harbeth version if used. 

• Like 1

Have a look at some Heco's, my Direkt divide opinion on looks but there's a more normal looking range. Art Loudspeakers are another good speaker for Sugden too.

• Like 1

On 05/09/2021 at 20:23, radiant red said:

The ANV is a more revealing amp than the a21a @Amormusic, the C7’s I owned on the A21a were a great combo which is why I upgraded to the HL5+ but truth is, the C7’s are 85% of the HL5+ but a different presentation but both are extremely enjoyable and on the ANV50, I expected more and got more but demoing the amp, at the time, couldn’t justify twice the cost as a current Sugden owner but if you have never owned an A21a, you would naturally love the anv50. 
Proac are more personal imo, the D2’s are a delight and would work effortlessly in your room @CrillboBaggins

Its all about personal preference but speakers so need to be tried at home. Also, your be looking at the pre XD Harbeth version if used. 

That’s great cheers 

What about PMC floorstanders ? Someone else mentioned that they match well with Sugden.