Sugden

fred sonnen

3 hours ago, CrillboBaggins said:

That’s great cheers 

What about PMC floorstanders ? Someone else mentioned that they match well with Sugden. 

@Amormusic is using them with his A21a signature. Not sure how they will be with the ANV. @HouseElfhas used an ANV too so he might give you an idea on alternatives too.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, radiant red said:

@Amormusic is using them with his A21a signature. Not sure how they will be with the ANV. @HouseElfhas used an ANV too so he might give you an idea on alternatives too.

@CrillboBagginsI used the ANV-50 with a few different speakers. It sounded best with a pair of Boenicke W5SE's. Incredible in fact. It also sounded great with some Dynaudio Special 40's but was a little too much for a pair of Falcon LS3/5a's where the IA4 sounded a little more refined and sophisticated.

On 05/09/2021 at 20:23, radiant red said:

The ANV is a more revealing amp than the a21a @Amormusic, the C7’s I owned on the A21a were a great combo which is why I upgraded to the HL5+ but truth is, the C7’s are 85% of the HL5+ but a different presentation but both are extremely enjoyable and on the ANV50, I expected more and got more but demoing the amp, at the time, couldn’t justify twice the cost as a current Sugden owner but if you have never owned an A21a, you would naturally love the anv50. 
Proac are more personal imo, the D2’s are a delight and would work effortlessly in your room @CrillboBaggins

Its all about personal preference but speakers so need to be tried at home. Also, your be looking at the pre XD Harbeth version if used. 

Would you say the Harbeth’s work well with a variety / different types of music ?  

I only ask as I was seriously considering  some C7’s but a dealer put me off. He seemed to suggest that Harbeth can be a bit lacklustre with rock and anything with a bit of grunt but superb with jazz, classical or acoustic / vocals. That was his opinion, I’ve not heard any Harbeths so  I don’t know    .

He did say Spendor (A7) work well though and tbf was talking himself out of a sale. 

Ideally I’d like to listen to some Harbeths but struggling to find a local dealer. 

4 minutes ago, CrillboBaggins said:

Would you say the Harbeth’s work well with a variety / different types of music ?  

I only ask as I was seriously considering  some C7’s but a dealer put me off. He seemed to suggest that Harbeth can be a bit lacklustre with rock and anything with a bit of grunt but superb with jazz, classical or acoustic / vocals. That was his opinion, I’ve not heard any Harbeths so  I don’t know    .

He did say Spendor (A7) work well though and tbf was talking himself out of a sale. 

Ideally I’d like to listen to some Harbeths but struggling to find a local dealer. 

Where are you based? I assume he wasn’t a Harbeth dealer …

Harbeth are far from what he said, it’s the kit you use with them that counts.

Problem you have, it the new C7’s are £3200 so to get a dealer to lend a pair when you are only looking to spend £1800 is probably not going to work. 

On 05/09/2021 at 18:35, CnoEvil said:

@CrillboBaggins IMO The brand to beat with Sugden, is ProAc. If you can find something that works better, you are onto a winner - but ProAc is where to start.

Absolutely this: the Sugden/Proac combination is simply magical - get it right in your room and you'll have to go a very long way to do better - I ran a pair of 1SCs with my Musicmaster for nearly 20 years - it was only domestic objections to their positioning in the room that forced me to eventually look elsewhere - you really would be missing a trick if you didn't at least try some - the D2 (or D2R) would be my choice from the current models, but there are lots of older s/h options - MH

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, MotherSky said:

Absolutely this: the Sugden/Proac combination is simply magical - get it right in your room and you'll have to go a very long way to do better - I ran a pair of 1SCs with my Musicmaster for nearly 20 years - it was only domestic objections to their positioning in the room that forced me to eventually look elsewhere - you really would be missing a trick if you didn't at least try some - the D2 (or D2R) would be my choice from the current models, but there are lots of older s/h options - MH

And there is a nice pair of D2’s on the bay right now! 
Yes, I do say Harbeth but at the new prices, even I wouldn’t go Harbeth now. The Proacs are hard to beat and this is why I have a pair of DB1’s too. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, radiant red said:

Where are you based? I assume he wasn’t a Harbeth dealer …

Harbeth are far from what he said, it’s the kit you use with them that counts.

Problem you have, it the new C7’s are £3200 so to get a dealer to lend a pair when you are only looking to spend £1800 is probably not going to work. 

I’m based in Stockport. 

He is a Harbeth dealer as well as Spendor, PMC & ATC. That’s why I was surprised. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, radiant red said:

And there is a nice pair of D2’s on the bay right now! 
Yes, I do say Harbeth but at the new prices, even I wouldn’t go Harbeth now. The Proacs are hard to beat and this is why I have a pair of DB1’s too. 

I’ve seen those D2’s ……

15 minutes ago, CrillboBaggins said:

I’ve seen those D2’s ……

And also some ProAc Studio 110 with stands for £400, seems reasonable …

9 minutes ago, CrillboBaggins said:

I’m based in Stockport. 

He is a Harbeth dealer as well as Spendor, PMC & ATC. That’s why I was surprised. 

Will he let you try the PMC and Harbeth at home? 
Just remember that you must factor in a decent stand for the Harbeth and Proac.

Despite many comments on various stands for Harbeth, you don’t need to spend silly money. Custom Design make custom made stands for everything and affordable. 

Knowing the sound those Proac D2’s, it would be easy for me to suggest you press the button but as I don’t have your room or equipment, I’d be worried you didn’t like them. Try hard to find a dealer that would lend a pair, you could ask for a deal, you might be surprised and get as close to your target budget. 
It’s easy to suggest spending other’s money but always try before you buy. Most on here however, have been pretty accurate regarding Sugdens with Proac. I like Harbeth for different reasons as many do. 

2 minutes ago, radiant red said:

Will he let you try the PMC and Harbeth at home? 
Just remember that you must factor in a decent stand for the Harbeth and Proac.

Despite many comments on various stands for Harbeth, you don’t need to spend silly money. Custom Design make custom made stands for everything and affordable. 

Knowing the sound those Proac D2’s, it would be easy for me to suggest you press the button but as I don’t have your room or equipment, I’d be worried you didn’t like them. Try hard to find a dealer that would lend a pair, you could ask for a deal, you might be surprised and get as close to your target budget. 
It’s easy to suggest spending other’s money but always try before you buy. Most on here however, have been pretty accurate regarding Sugdens with Proac. I like Harbeth for different reasons as many do. 

He will let me try them at home even though he’s nowhere near me he said he’d send them to me if I effectively paid for them and return them if I don’t like them for a full refund. I’ve bought from him before so trust him as well. He’s decent to be fair. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, CrillboBaggins said:

He will let me try them at home even though he’s nowhere near me he said he’d send them to me if I effectively paid for them and return them if I don’t like them for a full refund. I’ve bought from him before so trust him as well. He’s decent to be fair. 

Are you happy to do that? Most dealers ask for a 50% deposit or less. You definitely need stands tho. Are you happy to buy speakers a lot more than your budget? 

28 minutes ago, CrillboBaggins said:

I have some sympathy with what the Dealer said - and given he is a Harbeth Dealer, I believe he was genuinely trying to be helpful.....and I say that as a Harbeth owner.

"Lackluster" is a little harsh....I would say they lack a little "bite" and maybe too polite and refined for some people, who like their Rock/Electronic "hard hitting" and exciting. IMV There are better speakers, if that makes up the bulk of your listening....but.....it is always worth hearing for yourself. Personally, I like the less aggressive sound of the Harbeths when playing those genres.....but I find many modern speakers too raised in the Presence Range.

The Dealer has nailed their strengths, which is what drew me to them....but if I didn't listen to so much Jazz and Classical Music, I'd have gone with the Kef Ref 3s, which are more "modern" sounding

Edited by CnoEvil
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, radiant red said:

Are you happy to do that? Most dealers ask for a 50% deposit or less. You definitely need stands tho. Are you happy to buy speakers a lot more than your budget? 

If I had the cash and they were in budget I would but thats why I’m looking for used instead.