Sugden

fred sonnen

21 minutes ago, CnoEvil said:

I have some sympathy with what the Dealer said - and given he is a Harbeth Dealer, I believe he was genuinely trying to be helpful.....and I say that as a Harbeth owner.

"Lackluster" is a little harsh....I would say they lack a little "bite" and maybe too polite and refined for some people, who like their Rock/Electronic "hard hitting" and exciting. IMV There are better speakers, if that makes up the bulk of your listening....but.....it is always worth hearing for yourself. Personally, I like the less aggressive sound of the Harbeths of those genres.....but I find many modern speakers too raised in the Presence Range.

The Dealer has nailed their strengths, which is what drew me to them....but if I didn't listen to so much Jazz and Classical Music, I'd have gone with the Kef Ref 3s, which are more "modern" sounding

Yep, I genuinely think he was just giving his opinion. 

25 minutes ago, radiant red said:

Are you happy to do that? Most dealers ask for a 50% deposit or less. You definitely need stands tho. Are you happy to buy speakers a lot more than your budget? 

Last question, I assume the D20 R floorstanders are the bigger brother to the D2. Assume my ANV-50 would be fine driving these or would the D2 be better suited ?

Super Wammer
1 hour ago, CrillboBaggins said:

I’m based in Stockport. 

He is a Harbeth dealer as well as Spendor, PMC & ATC. That’s why I was surprised. 

Pop round and hear my Sugden/Heco combo. I'm 10 miles away!

• Like 1

Super Wammer

Plus I fancy hearing a ANV50

Super Wammer

Plus I have stands that might suit the D2s if you go that route

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, CrillboBaggins said:

Yep, I genuinely think he was just giving his opinion. 

If you lived close by, he'd have said, "Come over for a listen". As it is, given he is sending you the speakers to try - he wants to pin down what is most likely to suit first time.

Personally, out of Harbeth, ATC and PMC....I'd put them in that order. If I had a Sugden, Harbeth would be a close second to ProAc.

• Like 1

Super Wammer
20 minutes ago, Lee M said:

Plus I have stands that might suit the D2s if you go that route

Sounds like a good plan 👍🏻

Ive not heard the Heco’s on Sugden either. @CrillboBaggins I’d take Lee’s offer up if I were you 

Super Wammer
40 minutes ago, CrillboBaggins said:

Last question, I assume the D20 R floorstanders are the bigger brother to the D2. Assume my ANV-50 would be fine driving these or would the D2 be better suited ?

Sort of, but if your thinking of buying those damaged pair on fleabay, it would be hard to accept the amount of damage for the money.

14 minutes ago, radiant red said:

Sort of, but if your thinking of buying those damaged pair on fleabay, it would be hard to accept the amount of damage for the money.

No not the ones on eBay but some ex demo ones should they come up for sale

Super Wammer
3 minutes ago, CrillboBaggins said:

No not the ones on eBay but some ex demo ones should they come up for sale

You would have no issues driving them and in your room 

Super Wammer

These would be incredibly good on the end of your Sugden. I'd buy these if I didn't have my Hecos

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Loudspeakers-Art-Deco-10-Porsche-Macadamia-RRP-8500-/255033002678?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&_trksid=p2349624.m46890.l49286&mkrid=710-127635-2958-0

Edited by Lee M

Super Wammer
2 minutes ago, Lee M said:
Edited by Lee M
Beacuse I'm thick

2 hours ago, radiant red said:

Saw those. They are laughably expensive for how battered they are.

On 09/09/2021 at 19:16, MotherSky said:

Absolutely this: the Sugden/Proac combination is simply magical - get it right in your room and you'll have to go a very long way to do better - I ran a pair of 1SCs with my Musicmaster for nearly 20 years - it was only domestic objections to their positioning in the room that forced me to eventually look elsewhere - you really would be missing a trick if you didn't at least try some - the D2 (or D2R) would be my choice from the current models, but there are lots of older s/h options - MH

Thanks for everyones help. 

I’ve got a pair of ProAc Response D20 R’s arriving next week to demo at home. 

• Like 6

On 09/09/2021 at 19:51, CrillboBaggins said:

I’ve seen those D2’s ……

It's a shame you're not in london, could bring my d2's along. I'm trying to audition a sugden to go with them but finding it impossible here.....