Sign in to follow this  
i_should_coco

Should we have an adequate-fi section?

Adequate, as in 'good enough', requires there to be a standard against which adequacy is judged. My standard is sonic transparency. Once that's achieved, there's nowhere else to go, it's perfection.

Others have different standards, different requirements, but I do wonder if all the box-swapping and endless tweaking that seems to go on is indicative of never achieving adequacy, never meeting their own standards.

So who is the happier, someone like me, satisfied with having reached their destination, or someone endlessly travelling with no hope of ever arriving as the destination is constantly changing?

S

Some people are just as happy journeying through different kit or different tweaks on their path to audio nirvana. I am very happy with what I have now. I am also just as happy to occasionally tweak my system in pursuit of what I perceive to be better performance.

The key is to be happy with what you have regardless of where you are at on your hi-fi journey.

It is important to remember though, that just because someone is happy, doesnt mean they cant aspire to be happier

Moral: Set your goals low enough so that they are achievable with minimal effort. :D

That's one way, but there's nothing low about achieving transparency. That it can be achieved at low cost I see as a benefit.

However, this comes down to whether the destination or the journey is more important. I've never enjoyed travel, I enjoy being there.

S

It is important to remember though, that just because someone is happy, doesnt mean they cant aspire to be happier

Very profound, Chris, and indeed wise. :^

This sentence is sticking to my brain. What is happy?:dunno:

It's true, I'm quite happy now. But its also true that I am striving to become more happy than I am now.

The fact that I have not found the way/product to make myself more happy by Xmas, is making me less happy now.:cs:

When I was a kid, there was only happy. Now as an adult, there are levels of happiness!!!

SS:(

When I was a kid, there was only happy. Now as an adult, there are levels of happiness!!!

SS:(

As an adult, I don't have degrees of happiness. I'm either happy or I'm not. If I'm happy, then I'm happy I'm happy.

S

As an adult, I don't have degrees of happiness. I'm either happy or I'm not. If I'm happy, then I'm happy I'm happy.

S

Are you Pharrrel Williams in disguise?

Isn't this malarkey all a bit like life; it's not about the destination, it's about the journey.

Are you Pharrrel Williams in disguise?

Who?

S.

I'm so glad, I'm so glad, I'm glad I'm glad I'm glad.

- - - Updated - - -

Isn't this malarkey all a bit like life; it's not about the destination, it's about the journey.

It's what I've been suggesting above. For some, the journey is more important than the destination. For me it was always about the destination. I knew from a fairly early age where I wanted to be at each stage in life, and went about achieving that.

S.

Moral: Set your goals low enough so that they are achievable with minimal effort. :D

Advice to Bart, from Homer Simpson ... :rofl:

- - - Updated - - -

S

Digital happiness.

I'm happy with my kit,

but I'm not finished!

Oh no, definitely not finished, not sure that I ever will be either :?

Nowhere near adequate, but then I haven't heard many (any?) adequate (read transparent) systems that I've enjoyed :P

The sound of my system is far greater than adequate, but still I ask myself...............is it adequate enough?:nuts:

Guest MJ.

My biggest problem is that my money runs out way before my aspirations :(

It's what I've been suggesting above. For some, the journey is more important than the destination. For me it was always about the destination. I knew from a fairly early age where I wanted to be at each stage in life, and went about achieving that.

S.

Serge -

were you able to measure it along the way? ;-)