Sign in to follow this  
i_should_coco

Should we have an adequate-fi section?

Better?

Sent from my iPhone using Taptalk. bandit pilot loves Taptalk and really really really looooooooooong signatures xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Yes.

What you prefer suitably is the very best - enjoy your love of your sounds etc.

HiFi my arse.

You should try aspiring to working your other sack off to buy a proper computer and get rid of that most stupid Tapatalk signature bollox.:^

I've always just assumed that they were there as an excuse i.e. they were short-hand for "Sorry, my message is woefully incomplete and full of nonsense and typo's because it had to be Sent from my iPhone ... ". The other classic example of this is "Sorry, I am driving without due care and attention and ridiculously slowly because of the wailing from the Baby which is On Board" :D.

VB

enjoy your love of your sounds etc.

HiFi from my arse.

Sort of the point I was trying to make.

Who was it that could fart a tune?

add a system of pipes and valves and horns and you may be onto something.

Those for whom 'adequate' means there always something better are doomed to keep looking.

S

I don't feel this 'doom' Serge. The very fact the hobby can be stretched out into infinity is one of it's most attractive facets for me. I enjoy trying different things, I feel no doom. Is your adherence to the concept of adequacy just to keep the doom at bay? If so, why do you project these feelings on to everyone else?

Measurements are hugely important to what I do for a living. I couldn't do without them. They are only part of the equation though. When I got enough experience as a tailor that I started to get away from the measures or at least use them as a guide only, my suits became much more stylish. Also, with what I do there is no room for adequate. I wouldn't want to tell a customer I was going to make him an adequate suit... If I had stopped learning and perfecting I wouldn't have a job. The pursuit of excellence and finding my own voice and opinion as a craftsman is what it is all about for me. I would never achieve that if I relied on the idea of adequate and just a set of measurements. I feel the same way about my hobby, it's just with audio I know very little about it! The pursuit IS the hobby...

Adequate is a half arsed concept in my book. Actually, I find the idea of adequate crushingly dull. The word doom would describe it! :D

• Upvote 1

As a user of se valves, i would guess my kit should be really be classed as inadequate ...

As a user of se valves, i would guess my kit should be really be classed as inadequate ...

Again, it depends on what the specification is. Adequate only has relevance when compared with the rewquirement.

To me, a SET amplifier IS inadequate, as it has all sorts of technical limitations that render it inadequate as a linear amplification device.

To someone who loves the sound, it is perfectly adequate.

Adequate just means it fulfills YOUR requirements.

S

I don't feel this 'doom' Serge. The very fact the hobby can be stretched out into infinity is one of it's most attractive facets for me. I enjoy trying different things, I feel no doom. Is your adherence to the concept of adequacy just to keep the doom at bay? If so, why do you project these feelings on to everyone else?

Measurements are hugely important to what I do for a living. I couldn't do without them. They are only part of the equation though. When I got enough experience as a tailor that I started to get away from the measures or at least use them as a guide only, my suits became much more stylish. Also, with what I do there is no room for adequate. I wouldn't want to tell a customer I was going to make him an adequate suit... If I had stopped learning and perfecting I wouldn't have a job. The pursuit of excellence and finding my own voice and opinion as a craftsman is what it is all about for me. I would never achieve that if I relied on the idea of adequate and just a set of measurements. I feel the same way about my hobby, it's just with audio I know very little about it! The pursuit IS the hobby...

Adequate is a half arsed concept in my book. Actually, I find the idea of adequate crushingly dull. The word doom would describe it! :D

very :goodone:

I can completely understand your point of view. I appreciate a well-tailored suit, it's not just a means to covering one's naughty bits or keeping warm.

When I was working, I always had bespoke tailored suits, as buying off-the-peg never did it for me, they were inadequate. Now, I very rarely wear a suit, and when I do, the four suits I have are quite sufficient, the one I wore last night was made for me in 1988 and is a testament to how a well-made suit will last a long time.

S

Again, it depends on what the specification is. Adequate only has relevance when compared with the rewquirement.

To me, a SET amplifier IS inadequate, as it has all sorts of technical limitations that render it inadequate as a linear amplification device.

To someone who loves the sound, it is perfectly adequate.

Adequate just means it fulfills YOUR requirements.

S

Good post. Unfortunately "adequate" is frequently taken to mean "inadequate". I tend not to side with Serge where sound quality is concerned, as my requirements are rather different from his. Unlike him, I don't care how it measures (as long as it's safe) if it sounds good. Poor measurements won't stop me enjoying it. He is on record as saying it would for him.

In life enjoy the journey because the destination is death. Adequate what a soul crushing word related very closely to inadequate. When I designed something it was not my goal for it to be adequate but to be the BEST!

Super Wammer

I note an almost reasonable tone from Serge :-)

Adequate isn't the same for everyone. Its hard to find comprehensive measurements from manufacturers so comparing specs is frustrating if not impossible.

That's almost an adequately understanding and tolerant of the views of others

Cool :-)

Unfortunately "adequate" is frequently taken to mean "inadequate".

Yes, I think that's true. I've learnt not to worry about what I can't hear. On the point of measurements/accuracy vs. 'sounding good', I suspect people who like electronic music might find 'pleasant' distortions of the kind valve amps and turntables produce more tolerable than people who prefer classical and acoustic music, where the absence of audible distortion allows one to appreciate the timbre of the instruments rather than the hifi. Electronic music is composed of artificial sounds anyway, so what the hell.

Good post. Unfortunately "adequate" is frequently taken to mean "inadequate". I tend not to side with Serge where sound quality is concerned, as my requirements are rather different from his. Unlike him, I don't care how it measures (as long as it's safe) if it sounds good. Poor measurements won't stop me enjoying it. He is on record as saying it would for him.
In life enjoy the journey because the destination is death. Adequate what a soul crushing word related very closely to inadequate. When I designed something it was not my goal for it to be adequate but to be the BEST!

But this seems to me a misunderstanding of the meaning of 'adequate'. I means meeting the requirements. In your case, the requirement is that something is the best. So, your designs are adequate onlynwhen they're the best.

My requirement is for my amplifiers to be transparent, so Behringers are adequate. I don't need them to be the best to be adequate, you do, so for you, Behringers are inadequate.

Why is the concept of 'adequate' so hard to understand?

S

- - - Updated - - -

I note an almost reasonable tone from Serge :-)

Adequate isn't the same for everyone. Its hard to find comprehensive measurements from manufacturers so comparing specs is frustrating if not impossible.

That's almost an adequately understanding and tolerant of the views of others

Cool :-)

I do try to be reasonable. ;-)

S