£200 headphones

ajhunter

Hi, I haven't been round these parts for a while. I hope you don't mind me popping in to ask some advice. If you'd £200 to spend on some closed back headphones, what would you look at?

Happy Christmas folks.

See the link in my signature. I have a pair and I love them.

They are a fair bit cheaper HERE.

Bought my Mrs a pair of them in November. She's hardly taken them off since.

Tbh they are not to my taste. I'm a big Grado fan, but they are open back so no use to you.

Are they for out and about or listening at home?

Mate of mine has some AKG K450 which are nice. I was debating getting a pair for work, though if it were for at home I'd look at the K550s. They are meant to be very "open back" sounding. They are massive though so you'll look like a penis if you wore them in public lol.

They are for home listening, probably when Mrs h has masterchef/the apprentice or some other rubbish on. Thus the need for a closed back.

Bought my Mrs a pair of them in November. She's hardly taken them off since.

Tbh they are not to my taste. I'm a big Grado fan, but they are open back so no use to you.

Are they for out and about or listening at home?

Mate of mine has some AKG K450 which are nice. I was debating getting a pair for work, though if it were for at home I'd look at the K550s. They are meant to be very "open back" sounding. They are massive though so you'll look like a penis if you wore them in public lol.

I would avoid the AKG 550s like the plague if you want an open sound. My Father bought these with great anticipation based on reviews, and now wishes he had listened first. My personal preference is for the Grado range but they are definately not closed back. I'm still waiting for a full sized closed back pair that I would want to own, but the smaller Audio Technica AT55ES are about as good as I've heard to date - so maybe the ATM50s are worth a try. Otherwise the B&W P7s for close to the target price are the least bad I've heard. A dealer that has a few different pairs on demo is a must with headphones as there are lots of wildly different pairs that will be liked by some, but hated by others. Reviews seem to be a waste of time based on actually hearing pairs beloved in reviews. The ancillary equipment makes a lot of difference to headphone sound. My SR80s sound great on several pieces of equipment (the HK amp and a Morphy Richards pocket DAB set, of all things!, sounds exceptional with them), and other stuff less so (for some reason my main CD player sounds mediocre with them). This is definately a listen first purchase!

The Nad viso HP50 take some beating. A lot better than my ATH M50's in my opinion.

Beyer dt150 250ohm without question.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Their are lots of good options available to you in your price range to help narrow the choice down what exactly will you be plugging your headphones into? This may have quiet a impact on your choices and effect the performance of the phones.

The K550s are stunning cans! I've worn mine in public a few times and to be honest, no one seems to bat an eye-lid. Love the sound of them - very open sounding, without being fatiguing, whilst that closed back design blocks out quite a bit of background noise.

I use them at home for late-night listening with the Arcam, plus for audio editing on the PC. They also get a fair bit of use every one during my radio show at the local hospital radio station - we use some rather tasty Soundcraft broadcast desks there. Portable-wise, I've used them with an iPod Nano 4G (I think) plus a Sony MD player.

Got mine off an ex-workmate for £90 after 4 hours use. He wanted to go for a set of Bose! :shock:

The k550 can be had for around £75 now if you catch them quick on eBay. I really fancy a pair, but at the same time I rather spend the extra for sone SR325e as I dig that grado sound.

Beyerdynamic DT150 or Klipsch reference one. The Klipsch don't look or feel great, but they sounded a lot better than the competition. I had £300 to choose and went for these, ever over their 'higher' end models. I needed mine to be driven from a portable device though so it limited me a little in choice

Thanks for the spot, David; I didn't even notice the difference.

The link in James' sig is for over ear.

Yours is for the cheaper on ear, hence the price difference.