i_should_coco

Living Voice Vox Olympian review by Roy Gregory

DSP certainly makes life easier. I don't really subscribe to the view that it's transparent, my experience is that it isn't quite. However, this is offset my making the crossover more accurate and removes the effect of unstable (with frequency) driver impedance. It also allows some judicious EQ where required. It also makes time alignment easy (or even possible) and I have found that *that* makes a large difference.

Many ways to skin cats, of course.

I love that Kevin has made these, they are a genuine labour of love.

Thanks for your reply regarding DSP it tally's with the discussion i had above about drivers being easier to intergrate with DSP.

A labour of love indeed no different than any good art! :) Thanks for posting the review, would be nice to see them in the flesh, i work with a few people who have to photograph furniture of the same caliber as the LVO's are and some of it is truly something else! i think my friend who does the photography would love to photography the LVOs.

Could be at Munich, they have been for the last couple of years.

Obviously if you're considering buying something, it's worth a trip up to Definitive, Kevin has been happy to oblige when I have been there.

Nice photos! But of course he knows what he's doing and has appropriate lighting!

The speakers may well be an admirable achievement - at least you can see where your money's going (should you choose to buy a pair).

The review, on the other hand, is far from admirable:

"Indeed, most hi-fi renders string quartets, especially the later examples, as little more than random noise."

Utter nonsense like this really does give hi-fi reviewing a bad name (yes, I know it's hyperbolic but still...).

They wouldn't be that difficult to photography really, some other work he's done... http://www.markitecture.co.uk/furniture

Would be nice to see and here them in the flesh, what show are they going to be at next do you know?

http://www.markitecture.co.uk/furniture

They have been at Munich for the last two years. Does anyone know if they are going again this year ?

It takes a huge amount of effort to do the show and costs c£35k IIRC.

I like that it's an English company doing this, why leave it to all the Japanese and Americans?

The sub is very ugly though...:roll:

I bet they sound good, but you need a vast room to make full use of them in the west wing of your plutocrat mansion. The cost of the speakers will be beer money compared to the accommodation.

Could be at Munich, they have been for the last couple of years.

Obviously if you're considering buying something, it's worth a trip up to Definitive, Kevin has been happy to oblige when I have been there.

Nice photos! But of course he knows what he's doing and has appropriate lighting!

Ha! I can't afford them i'm afraid, would just be nice to see and hear them! :)

In real terms i know what some of the commissioned "one off" furniture costs and while it does serve a functional purpose and is beautiful to look at, it's silent! ;)

I also know that some of the furniture they make, they might just break even on (or even make it at a loss by the time the hours and prototypes have been factored into the cost), but they make it "because they can".

You don't have to buy the VOs, I was buying a tonearm. :D

Kevin did indicate that the cabinet work is excruciatingly expensive. Even the badges are a work of art, hearing him talk passionately about just those and the attention to detail was in itself enlightening! Make no mistake, these are the product of an obsession.

I too love that someone is producing something cost no object, with as few compromises as possible. I would love to hear them one day :^