i_should_coco

Living Voice Vox Olympian review by Roy Gregory

Whatever makes Mike think that Proac or ATC (let alone AVI) use anechoic chambers in the design of their loudspeakers?

FWIW, IME the real skill in loudspeaker design is getting the network right. That's what it's worth paying for - having the likes of Kevin, Stuart Tyler or Greg Timbers work on creating a whole rather than constantly tweaking yourself. Unless of course you'd rather be tweaking and listening to the system than chilling and listening to music.

I think maybe that Pete would argue that he already uses superior drivers than those in the VO.

I've not heard the LV horns, but I have sat in front of Pete's system many times and my view is that the VO would need to be mightily good to beat them. :^

Absolutely.

And I expect a fraction of the price of the LV Olympian.:)

Pete, it isn't all about efficiency for me, as power is cheap nowadays, but I know where you are coming from.:^

Whatever makes Mike think that Proac or ATC (let alone AVI) use anechoic chambers in the design of their loudspeakers?

FWIW, IME the real skill in loudspeaker design is getting the network right. That's what it's worth paying for - having the likes of Kevin, Stuart Tyler or Greg Timbers work on creating a whole rather than constantly tweaking yourself. Unless of course you'd rather be tweaking and listening the the system than chilling and listening to music.

Thats why active speakers and DSP crossovers make the design of conventional loudspeakers so much easier nowadays, even Pete uses the technology with Horns.

Drive unit specs from the larger manufacturers are very accurate and they even specify cabinet and port sizes.

Then from the curves or even REW measurements, pick crossover points, even 8th order if you like, hopefully with phase matched at the crossover point.

You won't get a passive crossover that accurate!

Very few speaker manufacturers make drive units nowadays. Proac certainly don't and Scanspeak etc do the development work for them and definitely use anechoic chambers.

Absolutely.

And I expect a fraction of the price of the LV Olympian.:)

Pete, it isn't all about efficiency for me, as power is cheap nowadays, but I know where you are coming from.:^

It is for me, though. Plus the constrained directivity horns give is desirable in terms of interacting with the room.

- - - Updated - - -

Ok they are 'only' 97db efficient, which ain't at all shabby, but the Kelly KT3s can easily match your bandwidth. Transients very impressive, rivalling some horns. I miss my pair still. Have you ever heard them, Coco? Same Kelly as the ribbon tweeters btw.

Er, no. Sorry, 97 is a lot less than 105 last time I looked. Must try harder.

Thats why active speakers and DSP crossovers make the design of conventional loudspeakers so much easier nowadays, even Pete uses the technology with Horns.

I've never heard a DSP based multi way that is as subjectively coherent as the best passive designs. Not to say it can't happen, just that it's certainly not the universal panacea that people believe and is in some ways dangerous in the hands of the many people who really don't know what they are doing with it. YMMV etc but I've heard enough subjective issues in DSP setups to drive me mad if that was my music system.

I've never heard a DSP based multi way that is as subjectively coherent as the best passive designs. Not to say it can't happen, just that it's certainly not the universal panacea that people believe and is in some ways dangerous in the hands of the many people who really don't know what they are doing with it. YMMV etc but I've heard enough subjective issues in DSP setups to drive me mad if that was my music system.

I am sure Pete's active horns are coherent.

ATC and PMC flagship speakers are active and are superior to the passive versions in terms of reduced coloration and distortion, as are all active speakers and they all use a form of DSP in their electronic crossover networks.

Putting a passive crossover in a speaker is like putting a spring between your foot and the throttle pedal of your car.:P

I know Pete doesn't like AVI, but my 9.1's with a sub are far more coherent than my Proac Response 2.5 and even easier to listen to for long periods.

You missed off the IMHO and IME there Mike.

Good for you I say! I look forward to reading your posts in 2020 when you sill have the AVI's and remain happy as a sand bunny.

ATC do not use any form of DSP I'm afraid. I should also perhaps add that their active products actually produce more distortion than the passive variant strictly speaking.

I am sure Pete's active horns are coherent.

:^

I reckon they are pretty good, yeah. Mike has heard them too, he just won't admit as much. :D

Every speaker system I have ever heard is in someway compromised. Never heard the VO's (would love to) but they are obviously compromised too with their folded horns and maybe a hole between the mid and mid bass. How would he bring an ugly collection of straight horns to market? That they by reputation sound marvelous is testament to the huge amount of work that KS must have put into the XO without using DSP.

ATC do not use any form of DSP I'm afraid.

The crossover in ATC actives is an electronic DSP using 24db/octave filters and phase correction.

http://www.atcloudspeakers.co.uk/hi-fi/electronics/active-loudspeaker-amp-module/amp-pack/

Maybe I shall end up with active horns one day, who knows?

I quite fancy listening to some Danley SH50's, but I don't know anyone that has them.:(

I listen to music 8 hours every day, so fancy a change.

The crossover in ATC actives is an electronic DSP using 24db/octave filters and phase correction.

http://www.atcloudspeakers.co.uk/hi-fi/electronics/active-loudspeaker-amp-module/amp-pack/

Maybe I shall end up with active horns one day, who knows?

I quite fancy listening to some Danley SH50's, but I don't know anyone that has them.:(

I listen to music 8 hours every day, so fancy a change.

Are you sure about the DSP? The link you provided shows what looks like a conventional active filter, not DSP, and the description just says 'active'. I'm sure they would have specified the type of DSP used if they were doing so, much as Meridian do.

S

Yep, AVI's will do that to you

:rofl:

Honestly, they really do sound very good. IMHO ;-)

Are you sure about the DSP? The link you provided shows what looks like a conventional active filter, not DSP, and the description just says 'active'. I'm sure they would have specified the type of DSP used if they were doing so, much as Meridian do.

S

Apologies Serge, you may be correct, I mean that Active electronic crossovers are used as opposed to Passive components.

However, I am sure DSP was used initially to determine the Active settings and Parameters.

Couldn't agree more!